Advertisement

Author Topic: Andrew Yang for President  (Read 8739 times)

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Yang for President
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2019, 11:36:00 AM »
For those who keep arguing against the $1K/month and how it will be funded, here's what Yang says about it (from the horse's mouth):

It would be easier than you might think. Andrew proposes funding the Freedom Dividend by consolidating some welfare programs and implementing a Value Added Tax of 10 percent. Current welfare and social program beneficiaries would be given a choice between their current benefits or $1,000 cash unconditionall y – most would prefer cash with no restriction.

A Value Added Tax (VAT) is a tax on the production of goods or services a business produces. It is a fair tax and it makes it much harder for large corporations, who are experts at hiding profits and income, to avoid paying their fair share. A VAT is nothing new. 160 out of 193 countries in the world already have a Value Added Tax or something similar, including all of Europe which has an average VAT of 20 percent.

The means to pay for the basic income will come from four sources:

1. Current spending: We currently spend between $500 and $600 billion a year on welfare programs, food stamps, disability and the like. This reduces the cost of the Freedom Dividend because people already receiving benefits would have a choice between keeping their current benefits and the $1,000, and would not receive both.

Additionally, we currently spend over 1 trillion dollars on health care, incarceration, homelessness services and the like. We would save $100 – 200+ billion as people would be able to take better care of themselves and avoid the emergency room, jail, and the street and would generally be more functional. The Freedom Dividend would pay for itself by helping people avoid our institutions, which is when our costs shoot up. Some studies have shown that $1 to a poor parent will result in as much as $7 in cost-savings and economic growth.

2. A VAT: Our economy is now incredibly vast at $19 trillion, up $4 trillion in the last 10 years alone. A VAT at half the European level would generate $800 billion in new revenue A VAT will become more and more important as technology improves because you cannot collect income tax from robots or software.

3. New revenue: Putting money into the hands of American consumers would grow the economy. The Roosevelt Institute projected that the economy will grow by approximately $2.5 trillion and create 4.6 million new jobs. This would generate approximately $800 – 900 billion in new revenue from economic growth.

4. Taxes on top earners and pollution: By removing the Social Security cap, implementing a financial transactions tax, and ending the favorable tax treatment for capital gains/carried interest, we can decrease financial speculation while also funding the Freedom Dividend. We can add to that a carbon fee that will be partially dedicated to funding the Freedom Dividend, making up the remaining balance required to cover the cost of this program.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2019, 12:56:39 PM »
  Yeah, couple months ago, I had a republican friend.

I bet that person's name starts with B... _N_ ends with e...since you share similar traits.. ;D ???

Offline Ma|3Strang3r

• PH Newbie
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2019, 12:40:39 PM »

How much taxes do  you pay to the Government every month? Minimum $600-$1000 right?
How are we going to fund the Freedom Dividend?  $1000 from the Government. That's just my own money cycling back to me.

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2019, 01:38:21 PM »
How much taxes do  you pay to the Government every month? Minimum $600-$1000 right?
How are we going to fund the Freedom Dividend?  $1000 from the Government. That's just my own money cycling back to me.
Read above. It won't be coming from poor people.  Big corporations like Amazon where Jeff Bezos is currently making $11.5 Million/hr  (that's right, you read it correctly, it's PER HOUR) will be covering much of the cost.  It's called the Value Added Tax and it's levied on corporations, not people.

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2019, 02:13:02 PM »
Why not?

I rather it go

1. Help people eat
2. Housing
3. Road
4. Healthcare

Etc...

Than going to the war effort

God did not created man...man created god

Offline Gucci K

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +164
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2019, 10:40:22 AM »
As much as I like this guy, I don't think he stand a chance of being nominated as the democratic primary.  his platform is great, probably best out of all the contenders.  his 1k per person is probably the best thing going for him. however, in case some of you don't know...in order to get that 1k, his proposal would have to go through congress and approved (that is how politics works).  Just because he's president, you don't automatically get the 1k.  i highly doubt, if he is elected, no one will get the 1k. we'll all be stuck with a asian president who has no experience in foreign policy, no infrastructure qualifications, no border control, and a deflated wall street.  if he should win, we  may have to recount the ballots...we only have 3.52 million people, where did the other 1 billion ballots come from? we would be ruled by china! ha!

wb Zaj Dab Neeg xaus lawm...

Offline Ma|3Strang3r

• PH Newbie
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2019, 02:07:53 PM »
Read above. It won't be coming from poor people.  Big corporations like Amazon where Jeff Bezos is currently making $11.5 Million/hr  (that's right, you read it correctly, it's PER HOUR) will be covering much of the cost.  It's called the Value Added Tax and it's levied on corporations, not people.

Oh, I know the majority of UBI will come from big corp like Amazon, google, Microsoft, etc. etc.. but speaking only on a personal level, that $1K is just my own money I pay taxes coming back to me every month.

Like this post: +1

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2019, 09:15:53 AM »
Oh, I know the majority of UBI will come from big corp like Amazon, google, Microsoft, etc. etc.. but speaking only on a personal level, that $1K is just my own money I pay taxes coming back to me every month.
That's a good thing, right? I mean.. Why would you'd rather just pay taxes and not get $1K back every month?

Offline lifemystery

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2019, 01:49:44 PM »
Those who are against the Freedom Dividend rather give money to billionaires and politicians. The rich gets richer, the middle class is getting poor, the poor gets poorer.

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2019, 02:01:15 PM »
As much as I like this guy, I don't think he stand a chance of being nominated as the democratic primary.  his platform is great, probably best out of all the contenders.  his 1k per person is probably the best thing going for him. however, in case some of you don't know...in order to get that 1k, his proposal would have to go through congress and approved (that is how politics works).  Just because he's president, you don't automatically get the 1k.  i highly doubt, if he is elected, no one will get the 1k. we'll all be stuck with a asian president who has no experience in foreign policy, no infrastructure qualifications, no border control, and a deflated wall street.  if he should win, we  may have to recount the ballots...we only have 3.52 million people, where did the other 1 billion ballots come from? we would be ruled by china! ha!

What's good for Russia should be good for China, right?

He could at the very least try to hide it on the last page of some bill that the opposing party drafted. Hah!

Like this post: +1

Offline Gucci K

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2019, 07:59:15 AM »
What's good for Russia should be good for China, right?

He could at the very least try to hide it on the last page of some bill that the opposing party drafted. Hah!
LOL...hide it in his free healthcare bill...1k from the government for medical bills. ha!

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2019, 10:44:11 AM »
LOL...hide it in his free healthcare bill...1k from the government for medical bills. ha!
  Why wouldn't you want $1K/month, ZDN?

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2019, 11:21:19 AM »

Rich people probs. I call dibs on his portion!

Offline Gucci K

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2019, 08:32:52 AM »
Rich people probs. I call dibs on his portion!
LOL....not that i don't want it...realistic ally, it is not sustainable.  america will probably go broke before his term is even over.

first of all, america is a lazy country, give them free stuff and they will sit back and receive them.   

taxes will have to be raised (up to 70%, proposed by some democrats) for those who works.  taking home 30cents of your dollar, will make you want to quit working as well.  you've already got the general population not working, now half, if not more of the workforce quitting...ain't nobody gonna work (no work, no tax deductions, no money for the government to give out).  why even work when, you got free healthcare?  just think of this as if a person just won the lottery...do you think he will want to work?  this is exactly what's gonna be...winning the lottery and taking he annuity...but in this scenario...nob ody plays the lottery anymore, because everyone is a winner.  how is the lottery gonna pay you with no income?

andrew thinks he can raise tax revenues on large corporations.. .maybe he can but when he does, these large companies will leave america and make another country greater (china, india, vietnam). 

i would rather earn my money and take home with minimal tax deductions.  if andrew yang becomes president, i will have 10 social security numbers and 10 wives with 10 different social security numbers, each!   you can calculate how much money i make without working! ha!

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2019, 12:15:00 PM »
ZDN

Why you act like you got billion $$$
And this is going deeply affect you