Advertisement

Author Topic: Brenda Song is not Hmong/Asian enough even in the eyes of other Asians  (Read 2468 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
 ???:

Brenda Song Was "Not Asian Enough" for Crazy Rich Asians

One of TV's original crazy rich Asians didn't end up in the big-screen adaptation of Kevin Kwan's bestselling novel. In a new interview with Teen Vogue, Brenda Song, who starred as London Tipton in Disney Channel's Suite Life of Zach and Cody, explained that she wasn't even considered for any roles in the movie because the production company didn't think she was Asian enough.

Song says that she is a huge fan of Kwan's novels and that when she heard that they were being made into movies, she was excited to at least try and be a part of what would become a groundbreaking film. Not everyone felt that way, because she says that even though she had a comedic background and the film was casting an Asian actor for a comedic role, she wasn't ever considered.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
Re: Brenda Song is not Hmong/Asian enough even in the eyes of other Asians
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 08:59:30 AM »
I think the Director already came out and stated he never said or implied that. My understanding was that she was type-casted and wasn't a fit for the role.

Brenda - Asian Valley Girl, white-washed and a "ditz"
Constance - F.O.B and stereotypicall y Asian (Women)

Of course these are character traits of CHARACTERS they portray on tv. You know what's ironic though; both are linked to or are in relationships with Caucasian partners. Typical! Hah!

Offline Visualmon

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +366
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 07:33:23 PM »
She's still flirt-able even though she married.  8)

There's no need for you to hide. I already saw you.

Offline starchaser1989

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 07:14:57 AM »
She never appear anywhere for Hmong people, she never did anything with Hmong people, she dating White dudes, she want nothing to do with Hmong people, etc. 

Conclusion:  Yes, she is not Asian enough.  White washed IMO.  I agree with the director.  Truth be told how it is. 

The kicker is:  Don't know why Hmong people still follower her when she don't give a 2 cent sh1t about Hmong.  Can't fix the stupid ones I guess.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 09:55:59 PM »
She never appear anywhere for Hmong people, she never did anything with Hmong people,

Incorrect, she celebrated Hmong New Year in Sacramento in the past, she wanted to be a cast member in the movie, Gran Torino hoping to have a Hmong speaking role but couldn't due to some show business conflict with Disney.

she dating White dudes, she want nothing to do with Hmong people, etc. 

Just because her preference happens to White, doesn't mean she doesn't want anything to do with Hmong people. Here's a couple of examples of a Hmong/White relationship that still partake in Hmong culture, language and people...They actually participated in Hmong cultural stuff more than some Hmong/Hmong couples from what I've seen.. :

Conclusion:  Yes, she is not Asian enough.  White washed IMO.  I agree with the director.  Truth be told how it is. 

Lex already touch on the "director" response, and Kwan said, he never implied or said, Brenda was not Asian enough...but more so because he already has other actors to fill the role. Also some cast members on his movie have also dated white people so that's a very poor reason to gauge if a Asian person is Asian enough...I'm sure Tou Ger Xiong is still as Hmong as he was before he married his White wife...

The kicker is:  Don't know why Hmong people still follower her when she don't give a 2 cent sh1t about Hmong.  Can't fix the stupid ones I guess.

Also incorrect as it depends.. some Hmong say she cares and some say she doesn't care but based on Brenda's views, she has said, that being Hmong and being part of the Hmong culture is a big part of her life..and even though her mom is Thai, she is also part of the Hmong culture.

Offline starchaser1989

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 11:06:42 PM »
The director was smart not to say it in a way that he will get into a bigotry and hate issue.  Brenda is still White washed, I mean that is as White washed as it can get, but the idiots will always find reasons.  I have worked with some Hmong White washed before, it don't take a genius to figure who is and who isn't.  My wife supervise a lot of Hmong people at her job and like I said before she know who is White washed and who isn't either.  She notice just like I do too, that White washed Hmong or Asians tend to always have excuses and reasons, thus they are in DENIAL that they are White washed themselves but everybody at work or around knows.  It's like, "look, I love rice I'm still very Hmong".....lol.  Anyways, I thought Tou Ger married a Black chick?  WHAT?

I'm sure Tou Ger Xiong is still as Hmong as he was before he married his White wife...

« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 11:21:51 PM by starchaser1989 »

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 10:00:52 AM »
Some of you guys talk about her like she owes you something just because she's Hmong. She doesn't owe you shit. Not you, or me, nor the Hmong community.

Exactly. Hmong people identify themselves with someone who succeeds but distance themselves when individuals fail.

Brenda can and can't do whatever she wants. What she does or doesn't do has no impact on me. Sounds like the director had a type in mind and Brenda, feeling a bit angered/disappointed, blew it out of proportion. Had the movie bombed, you'd have never heard about this situation.

Offline Yebleng

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 02:05:57 PM »
Majority of the west still has this vision of Asians only looking the part of a Chinese, Japanese, or Korean :P  ...Brenda couldn't pass for "super rich asians" :P

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 03:56:40 PM »
The director was smart not to say it in a way that he will get into a bigotry and hate issue.  Brenda is still White washed, I mean that is as White washed as it can get, but the idiots will always find reasons.  I have worked with some Hmong White washed before, it don't take a genius to figure who is and who isn't.  My wife supervise a lot of Hmong people at her job and like I said before she know who is White washed and who isn't either.  She notice just like I do too, that White washed Hmong or Asians tend to always have excuses and reasons, thus they are in DENIAL that they are White washed themselves but everybody at work or around knows.  It's like, "look, I love rice I'm still very Hmong".....lol.  Anyways, I thought Tou Ger married a Black chick?  WHAT?

If Brenda is "White washed" based on your definition then that can also apply to your wife being "White washed" too..Again, there are some Hmong/Hmong couples that are more White washed than some Hmong/White couples..so who one date/marry is not as big of a factor as how one is involved in his/her culture.

Tou Ger Xiong's wife can be "Black", White or bi-racial but she looks pretty White and as far as I know they are still going strong..:

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 03:59:04 PM »
Exactly. Hmong people identify themselves with someone who succeeds but distance themselves when individuals fail.

Sadly, that's true in many instances ..

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 06:20:07 PM »
It is not a question of her leaving the hmong community. 

It is a question of you hmong wanting her to belong to the hmong community. 

LEt it go.  Frozen 2 is going to hit that 1 billion mark soon. 

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +200
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 08:50:39 AM »
Just wondering, does Touger Xiong and his wife have kids?  Never hear him talking about them.  Also, Brenda looks great and would be nice if she didn't separate herself too much from the Asian communities.  I wonder if she ever attends a Hmong New Year.... or maybe her Hmong Dad totally separates himself from the Hmong community too because nothing's been said about him or his said of the family too.  He's as much a mystery as her....

But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2019, 09:09:15 AM »
Just wondering, does Touger Xiong and his wife have kids?  Never hear him talking about them.  Also, Brenda looks great and would be nice if she didn't separate herself too much from the Asian communities.  I wonder if she ever attends a Hmong New Year.... or maybe her Hmong Dad totally separates himself from the Hmong community too because nothing's been said about him or his said of the family too.  He's as much a mystery as her....

I do not believe TGX and his wife has any kids. They're still quite active in the pageant industry, both as host/sponsors and participant.

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2019, 09:25:55 AM »
Brenda xiong doesn't age too well.  When you live the fast life with "additives", it is going to wear and tear your body down faster than lets say an innocent person growing up with a baby face who doesn't do "additives" and takes good care of their body. 

She was pretty cute as I remembered her during her Disney days though.  Like a hanna montana kinda cute.  YOu can't pay me enough to look at mily cyrus of today. 

I'm only saying that she looks cute during the disney days cuz during those days, I was pretty young too.  I'm not that kind of perv   :2funny:

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2019, 04:37:27 PM »
Just wondering, does Touger Xiong and his wife have kids?  Never hear him talking about them. 

Not sure...

Also, Brenda looks great and would be nice if she didn't separate herself too much from the Asian communities.  I wonder if she ever attends a Hmong New Year.... or maybe her Hmong Dad totally separates himself from the Hmong community too because nothing's been said about him or his said of the family too.  He's as much a mystery as her....

From those that know them, they used to attend but now they just do the smaller family/clan type annually...Sou nds like some of us PH members as we don't attend the big community Hmong New Year anymore either due to it becoming too much of a business/flea market atmosphere and thus lacking some of the true spirits of what a Hmong New Year should be like... ???

Advertisements