Advertisement

Author Topic: Shimano Curado 70  (Read 3189 times)

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
Shimano Curado 70
« on: March 11, 2020, 01:54:59 AM »
Shimano Curado 70

So I went on a spree and purchased the Closed out reels. I actually went with the 70HG version so it's a 7.2 gear.  It's not that I needed a new reel, it's just that I saw a deal too good to pass up.  Normally it retails for $199 but the deal I saw was for $119 and at that price it was worth it.

To compare with it's predecessor like the Curado 50E or the Chronarch 50Mg is kind of what this is about.

Anyway it's only been used for ice fishing and it's been wonderful with all the upgrades and advances from the old ones.  Not that it matters to me, but there is a slight improvement in the feel overall.  It's not like I have cast with the reel at all, in fact for ice fishing, I have all the brakes turned off.  I better remember to turn them on if I should decide to mount them on my full sized rods.  I made that mistake once.  I thought my reels where casting freely...they were, no braking.  Then poof a gust of wind came and it was a birds nest on the spool.

Anyway...there may be a new replacement coming out in the near future, as they are phasing out this model.

and now...I need a rod to go with it.  Oh the dilemma!  O0

Like this post: 0
The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Adverstisement

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
Re: Shimano Curado 70
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 12:24:49 PM »
You use bait casting reel for ice fishing???
Weird

All these reel that sound japanese
Alot of them are made in china

God did not created man...man created god

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 11:30:57 AM »
People used bait casting reels or spools full of line long before they even used spinning reels.  Spinning reels users are actually the weird ones.  Even if they're the majority right now.

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 10:05:24 AM »
One doesn't have to cast just because one has a casting reel.

Shimanos are well-know their reliability.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 04:57:27 PM »
That's where the reels are called by a slightly different name.  Called Conventional Reels or Trolling Reels or even as Line Counter Reels.

They are designed almost like bait casting reels.  Conventional Reels for like big fish, fishing on the ocean.  Trolling Reels are a lot like them, but there's freshwater versions as well as larger saltwater versions.  Line Counter Reels, simplly have that line counter gauge on them.  Since the intention is to fish off a moving boat, there is really no need to cast.  Just lob over the side of the boat with your lure/bait and let out line.  Because some of these are not casting reels, they don't need a brake control system to be added to the reel.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 07:50:57 PM »
What terrible mistake I made in that sentence.

Shimanos are well-known for their reliability.

One doesn't have to cast just because one has a casting reel.

Shimanos are well-know their reliability.

"...

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 10:11:26 PM »
What terrible mistake I made in that sentence.

Shimanos are well-known for their reliability.

Lol

My dirt cheap zebco work just fine
“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”.... right

I got some nice smallmouth bass this weekend
Pretty good fishing

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 05:49:02 PM »
Those quality items give you a better feeling in casting, reeling, and even setting up the hook, etc, Rock. You should try them and experience the feel.

Sure, you can catch fish with any kind of line or pole--even a bamboo stick, which is still common in trout fishing. But there's something that just allows you to set the hook better, feel the bite sooner more, etc.

The experts have fished and tested their equipments based on those experiences and the experiences of many professional and survival anglers. They know what to do about hooking those fish.

Smallmouths are fun to catch but aren't yummy. Nor are largemouths yummier but largemouths are more fun to catch.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 07:18:54 PM by Reporter »

"...

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 07:48:03 AM »
Those quality items give you a better feeling in casting, reeling, and even setting up the hook, etc, Rock. You should try them and experience the feel.

Sure, you can catch fish with any kind of line or pole--even a bamboo stick, which is still common in trout fishing. But there's something that just allows you to set the hook better, feel the bite sooner more, etc.

The experts have fished and tested their equipments based on those experiences and the experiences of many professional and survival anglers. They know what to do about hooking those fish.

Smallmouths are fun to catch but aren't yummy. Nor are largemouths yummier but largemouths are more fun to catch.

I try them already
Don’t like it
Return it back to the store for refund
I actually catch less fish with it

Weird believeit or not

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 09:18:08 AM »
Ok. Experience says it all. And whatever suits you.

I'm not crazy enough to spend over $600.00 on a pole or a reel. But I'm ok with some reasonably decent, quality items.

About two decades ago, I took a line with a hook on it, dug up a worm for bait, and set the line on the side of a river. I tied the string to a tree. I  went to canoe for a bit and came back. The line was tight. I pulled it in and got a huge cat! Yup, that even without a pole. So, I know what you mean.

I try them already
Don’t like it
Return it back to the store for refund
I actually catch less fish with it

Weird believeit or not

"...

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 10:48:45 AM »
i try baitcasting reel
it was pretty hard
end up returning it back to the store
maybe with more practice and experience
i will master it

spinning reel for me

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2020, 03:32:16 PM »
I'm not good at baitcasting at all.  I got a Daiwa baitcast combo three years ago and haven't learned how to use it. I've been trying to get Villaineous Hero to teach me how to. But he's always busy and have not been able to go fishing with me.

The combo rod and reel is still at home. I just removed the plastic covering the other day.  I might just raffle it off or customize it into a spinning rod for my other spinning reels. I did that to another baitcast rod a long time ago and it seems to have worked very well with my spinning reels.

I've bought other spinning reel combos that have worked very well for anything from crappies to walleyes and even cats and rough fishes. Guys at the Hmong Fishing Scene tell me to get a setup of heavy fast action with 40-lb+ braided on mono leader for largemouths. I'm doing that right now and just bought a 65-lb PowerPro smooth-casting braid with a heavy St. Croix rod for that. I have a 17-lb Trilene leader I can use. Will finish the setup this week and test it over the weekend.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 03:36:16 PM by Reporter »

"...

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 04:04:08 PM »
I'm not good at baitcasting at all.  I got a Daiwa baitcast combo three years ago and haven't learned how to use it. I've been trying to get Villaineous Hero to teach me how to. But he's always busy and have not been able to go fishing with me.

The combo rod and reel is still at home. I just removed the plastic covering the other day.  I might just raffle it off or customize it into a spinning rod for my other spinning reels. I did that to another baitcast rod a long time ago and it seems to have worked very well with my spinning reels.

I've bought other spinning reel combos that have worked very well for anything from crappies to walleyes and even cats and rough fishes. Guys at the Hmong Fishing Scene tell me to get a setup of heavy fast action with 40-lb+ braided on mono leader for largemouths. I'm doing that right now and just bought a 65-lb PowerPro smooth-casting braid with a heavy St. Croix rod for that. I have a 17-lb Trilene leader I can use. Will finish the setup this week and test it over the weekend.

the expensive stuff never work for me
it's always the cheap stuff that seem to work for me

i remember buying a $10 lure
total waste of money

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2020, 09:40:26 PM »
Expensive stuff are not guaranteed to catch. They are guaranteed confidence and comfort with a little pride.

I don't think it's the quality of the equipment that proves the level of bites.  The baits will determine that. And baits can be live or artificial--just gotta be the kind a particular type of fish likes to eat. Minnows, crawlers, and leeches, though, do well across species.

"...

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2020, 11:00:13 PM »
Expensive stuff are not guaranteed to catch. They are guaranteed confidence and comfort with a little pride.

I don't think it's the quality of the equipment that proves the level of bites.  The baits will determine that. And baits can be live or artificial--just gotta be the kind a particular type of fish likes to eat. Minnows, crawlers, and leeches, though, do well across species.

I never can tell the quality
Why buy a $50k racing car if out speed limit is 25 mph???

See what i mean

I need stuff that works
My zebco reel works

Advertisements