Advertisement

Author Topic: The little girl's cousin now starts her journey  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • 31-day months: Odds: 1,3,5,7: Even: 8, 10,12.
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
Re: The little girl's cousin now starts her journey
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2021, 07:35:11 AM »
Little Girl was doing her math homework when I stepped into the living room where her desk was. I was about to go out to jog but had to check on her.

She and her mother were a bit confused about the signs > and <. I explained that the first means "greater than" and that the second means "less than."

I thought I would give her a pneumonic device.

"So, if a number is greater than another, you put the number to the left of it to show that it's bigger than the other one, like an arrow stronger and pointing to the weaker one that it beats," I said. "A stronger thing points down to the weaker one."

Little Girl disagreed. "No, you put the bigger number on the alligator's mouth. If you were an alligator, wouldn't you want to eat something bigger?"

I said I wasn't sure if an alligator will always eat a bigger thing of any two things.

"This is not about alligators eating," I said. "It's about math now. Just memorize it."

"You must have learned it wrong," she said.

She said that's how her teacher taught her.

Her mother kept saying she was sure Little Girl was right and not to be mad over that and that her mother will check everything later on.

I decided not to tamper with the teacher's strategy.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2021, 12:25:23 PM »
When I took some lunch to Cousins 2 and 3's home for dinner yesterday, Cousin 3 showed me an aquarium with a tiny but old-looking turtle in it. Tiny because it's just like two fingers in size, and old because it does look like a worn snapping turtle that  has aged under many lakes for years already.

"Uncle gave it to us," she said.

Cousin 3 is only 4.5 years old. Just started school.

"Oh, and have you given it a name yet?" I said.

"It's turtle," she said.

"I know. But what do you want to call it?" I said.

"I call it turtle. It's turtle."

"Well, do you want to give it a name?" I said.

"No," she said. "He's turtle. That's his name."

"Let's see...Let's call him Speed. His name is now Speed," I said.

"No," she said, chuckling. "He's not Speed. He can't be speed."

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2021, 12:01:43 AM »
Cousin 4 might be lying to us all just to get some attention.

Whenever she wants something, she points one of her hands to it and say "eee, eee." She motions her body that direction.

Whenever she doesn't like something, she simply turns away from it and shakes her head.

She has not spoken much more than "eee, eee."

But the other day when I was walking her from my living room to the kitchen, I counted 1 through 10 in Hmong. While she didn't say any of them outlout, she did repeat after me on 7 by saying "xya"  and  8 by saying "yim" correctly.

As soon as I noticed those and turned to her, she turned quiet again and started motioning for the kitchen table.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2021, 04:27:28 PM »
Yesterday, I was not yet home when Cousins 2 and 3 were already waiting for me with their parents.

Somehow, they may have been there for a very long time already, since their dad had the key to my place.

I tookCousin 2 to be impatient or something when she texted me with this: "Reporter come quick my phones almost going to die please I need a charger in the car in your car"

Her parents knew I had a good one in my truck, another one at my work place, and that not-so-good one at home.

The next line of her text states: "Please come"

There was no observance of any English grammatical rules. But she made her point clear.

By then, I was already outside in the drive-way. So, I just texted back with: "Okay. Open the door."

She peeked out the door just as I was climbing the steps towards the door.

When I got inside, she said, "The other charge is dead."

I said I knew. "Throw it away," I said.

"I already did," she said.

She did say she needed to charge her phone right away. So, I took that to mean her phone truly needed charging.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 04:30:12 PM by Reporter »

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2021, 07:24:04 AM »
Cousin 3 just started school this year and hasn't learned too many things yet. So, each time she talks to me, she gets some new words of things.

We just learned the various coins of U.S. money: penny, nickel, dime, quarter, half dollar, and dollar. I also added the dollar bill to show that both the dollar coin and dollar bill constitute 100 pennies (also called cents). She learned that ten pennies or cents equal one dime, etc. She loved counting the ten pennies I had on the table. She moved them with her fingers and counted them over and over.

After a while, she said, "[T]here are ten!"

But yesterday when her father and sister were on their way to the store and she wanted to stay with me, she took Cousin 4's plastic batter-operated fan and showed me how to press a button under the neck of the fan.

I did and the fan spinned.

Cousin 3 put a finger into the spinning blade and the finger got beaten. She quickly pulled it out and shook it.

I told her not to do that.  "Big ones can cut your fingers," I said.

"They can?" she asked.

"Yes. And that's not good. It hurts, too."

"It hurts?" she asked.

"Yes. So, don't put fingers or your hands there again," I said.

"Okay."

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2021, 05:06:19 AM »
Cousin 3 helped me plant some green onions last spring but seems to have forgotten much about that.

I took her with Cousin 4 out to my backyard garden yesterday afternoon. A section of my garden had some green onions standing like giant thick hair pointing to the sky.

"What are those?" I asked her as I pointed the onions.

"They are...plants!" she said.

I could see how easy she was feeling about the question. She began turning and walking away from them.

Her pace was faster than usual. She loves digging for worms under the moist soil, and I wasn't expecting her to walk away from the garden. But this question obviously made her uneasy about being there longer.

"Yeah. But what kinds?"

"Small plants," she said after stepping farther away from the garden plot and onto the lawn towards the garage now.

"Come on. Tell me. You helped me plant some last year, remember?"

"Yes."

She kept going towards the stairway up to the deck and towards the house.

I had Cousin 4 with me and picked her up from the lawn and chased Cousin 3 home. I told her what the plants were, finally.

That's all she would say.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2021, 05:13:46 AM »
After catching some smelts late last night, I texted a photo to Cousin 2 and told her I got a lot of fish.

"Wow!" she texted back.

"Yup. A lot," I wrote back.

Within two hours, her mother brought her and her little sister, Cousin 3, to my place.

The cooler was full of little fish that Cousin 2 felt were "babies."

"Do they lay eggs like their mommies and daddies yet?" she asked.

"Only the mommies lay eggs," I told her.

"What?"

"Only their mommies lay eggs. The men don't. The men fish, we call them males."

"Oh."

"We caught them at the beach," I said.

Cousin 3 now appeared either disturbed or curious. She rushed from the living room to the kitchemn, looked at the cooler. "You caught them on the beach?" she asked me.

I could tell she wanted to know how that may have been possible.

I realized she wanted to know if those smelts were actually on the dry sands of the beach.

"We caught them in the water by the beach," I said.

"Oh, okay," she said.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2021, 05:18:26 AM »
Their mother didn't quite know why we would put the cooler of smelts on the kitchen floor and not outside on the deck.

"Why did you bring this here?" she asked, almost demanding that it be put outside again. "Who brought it inside?"

"Ask her," I said and pointed to Cousin 3.

I wanted her mom to just shut up since her little girl was involved. I wanted to blame Cousin 3 for it so that her mom would just be quiet about it.

"Who brought this cooler here?" her mom asked her.

I thought Cousin 3 was going to blame it all on me just so she wouldn't be chided. I was listening very intently to what she might say, even though I wasn't turning to her.

"Reporter and I," she said.

Her mom wanted us to pull it back outside, but we turned to something else instead of talking to her more about that.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 06:07:29 AM by Reporter »

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2021, 08:21:11 PM »
Cousin 3 isn't convinced her tiny home tank turtle should be called Speed at all.

I visited her family the other day and asked how Speed was doing.

She looked at me for a long time and just pointed to the tank. "It's there," she said and then turned on the tank's light for me to look at the turtle.

It didn't even move.

As we were sitting on the dining table for some snacks, Cousin 3 couldn't stop telling stories though.

"Yesterday when I woke up, I felt really good," she said.

"That's great! What did you feel good about?" I said.

She didn't say anything more but went on to say "[W]when I woke up this morning, my arm felt so soft."

Cousin 4 is not just walking--can't run yet without tripping or limping a bit--but is climbing chairs and sofas. So, my confidence is that she's aiming for a high status or some kind of excellence in life later on rather than other my suspicion that she might like  high heels when she grows up.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2021, 07:31:00 PM »
Cousin 3 and the rest of the girls were having dinner at my place last night.

Little Girl didn't quite understand the arrangement, so she told me we would all be going to Cousin 4's house for the dinner--even though dinner was being prepared at my place.

But Cousin 4's mother already told us her family couldn't come.

When it was clear to me but not to the little girls that Cousin 4 was not coming, I asked Little Girl and Cousin 3 if Cousin 4 was coming, too.

"I don't know," Little Girl said.

"Cousin 3!" I said. "Is Cousin 4 coming?"

"Yes," she said.

"How do you know?" I asked.

"Everyone is here," she said.

She was partly right: Little Girl's entire family was here (including the soon-to-be-born), Cousin 3 & 4's entire family, and I. But she wasn't aware that Cousin 4's family already decided not to come. Nor was Cousin 1's family even invited, since they were like an hour away on high-speeding roads.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2021, 10:51:42 PM »
I was going to pick up something from a relative and Little Girl had no babysitter, so she rode along.

"Where are we going?" she asked.

"To where I have to pick up something. You tell me where. Are we going north, south, west or east?" I said.

"I don't know. I want to go home right now," she said. "I don't want to go wherever you are going. Take me home now."

"We have many other things to do, not just dropping you off at places. So, let me go get what I want first," I said.

She sat quietly in the back seat, focused back on her iPad again.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2021, 09:07:38 PM »
For two days now we all went to Little Girl's house to babysit her while her mom was in the hospital for labor on a newborn.

Cousin 4 was among us each day.

Little Girl's little sister was born yesterday and we all got photos from their mom while we were with Little Girl.

Today, Little Girl's two-day old sister came home with their mom and dad.

We were all happy except Cousin 4. As we took turns holding the newborn and checking her squinting eyes, Cousin 4 screamed her constant "eee! eee!" sounds at whoever was holding the infant.

As Cousin 4's mom picked up the newborn, Cousin 4 tried to beat the newborn up.

I had to take Cousin 4 outside to ride a dolly to take her attention away.

It was clear: Cousin 4--still under two years old, not yet speaking but walking already--felt she was going to lose our attention as the newborn was now going to take over. She was jealous but just didn't quite know how to say that to us.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2021, 04:54:51 AM »
"Mom loves you more," Little Girl said to her new-born, few-month-old sister.

That's because Little Girl has gotten sick of doing home chores ordered by her mom: her own laundry, making her bed, doing the family's dishes, cleaning the floors and after her two dogs, and attending to the little sister's needs--making the bottle, diapering, and the like.

I would have insisted that Little Girl study more than playing games or tracking Pokemon signals around town with her step-dad. But she apparently hasn't visited me as much anymore, now that she has a little sister to attend to. Her love and care for the newborn has superseded all other attentions she used to have for anything: no more games, not much studying, and certainly not visiting anyone else.  Twice she tried to visit me but later in the day turned down both attempts. "I'm sorry but I don't like visiting this time," she said both times.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2021, 04:58:05 AM »
Cousins 2 and 3 told me they were going to get a puffer but somehow has not gotten for days now.

I asked them yesterday why and they didn't quite know how to answer.

All they did was telling me that they had removed the turtle I had called "Speed" from the tank and "let it into the lake."

They were also not impressed with my labeling of the giant two-inch reptile as "Speed."

Each time I said that name, they just looked at me and changed the subject.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2021, 05:14:06 AM »
Cousins 1 and 4 do not have siblings yet. Cousin 1's parents have said they no longer want a second child. Raising one is enough, they said.

Cousin 4's parents are still unsure if they want a second but certainly not more than just one more for her to learn cooperation and interpersonal development with.

Little Girl's mom held off for years and almost didn't want any more addition. But Little Girl has wanted a sibling. "Mom, can you go buy me one?" she once asked her mother a few years ago. Now at 10, she knows where siblings come from and has been quite happy with the newborn. But her mother has said she does not want any more. Even with this cute little sister, both her mom and step-dad seem some times intentionally unavailable to babysit and have put that burden on Little Girl more and more.

It's one thing to have created a life--it's even enjoyable feeling that a life has come to life; but it's not just another thing but quite another thing to raise that life to life.

Advertisements