Advertisement

Author Topic: Priorities of the U.S. Government  (Read 2379 times)

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
Re: Priorities of the U.S. Government
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2021, 07:16:21 PM »

So you see, your rights are still not taken away from you.  The white man issues?  Let the white man somehow solves it.  Just sit back and relax and watch the show.  Worst comes to worst, I'm going back to vietnam to become an struggling viet actor.    :2funny:

Dude
Don’t leave me
Let me come with you

Im ready to get out of here

Like this post: 0
God did not created man...man created god

Adverstisement

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2021, 07:27:01 PM »

You need to think about it from a different perspective. They are playing by the rules that are given to us all by the IRS. Nobody wants to pay more taxes than they need to and that includes businesses. The problem is a government spending problem. They spend more than what they can generate and the way they generate is through taxes. The below video is a good video that explains it. The current Secretary of Treasury is trying to get other countries to agree to a global tax so that companies might avoid conducting business in other countries. This will probably fail because many countries will not benefit from this other than maybe a handful or the US. Why would any country agree to it if the companies are benefiting them? I think the issue with the government/leadership is that all they want is power and to retain their jobs, which is why you see them fight all the time even though it doesn't make sense. For example, the recent stimulus could have passed probably around summer last year, but both parties kept wanting to add things to it in order to get their votes. Instead of just sending a single bill out with the stimulus they want to take advantage of it and add things to benefit their objectives.

https://youtu.be/nZ7XesI8LzM

We need uncle sam and the feds
To keep printing money
And buying our stocks and bonds
So the price will keep raising

O0 O0 O0

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
  • Respect: +524
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2021, 07:27:43 PM »

You need to think about it from a different perspective. They are playing by the rules that are given to us all by the IRS. Nobody wants to pay more taxes than they need to and that includes businesses. The problem is a government spending problem. They spend more than what they can generate and the way they generate is through taxes. The below video is a good video that explains it. The current Secretary of Treasury is trying to get other countries to agree to a global tax so that companies might avoid conducting business in other countries. This will probably fail because many countries will not benefit from this other than maybe a handful or the US. Why would any country agree to it if the companies are benefiting them? I think the issue with the government/leadership is that all they want is power and to retain their jobs, which is why you see them fight all the time even though it doesn't make sense. For example, the recent stimulus could have passed probably around summer last year, but both parties kept wanting to add things to it in order to get their votes. Instead of just sending a single bill out with the stimulus they want to take advantage of it and add things to benefit their objectives.

https://youtu.be/nZ7XesI8LzM

Of course I know that big corporate giants are "playing by the rules that are given to them by the IRS."  The U.S. created its own problems via their tax laws, which enabled companies to escape paying taxes. 

U.S. tax laws have created these problems for the U.S.:
- U.S. companies are used to being treated so good (if they were all of a sudden forced to pay taxes they will likely retaliate by moving their business to other countries)
- U.S. companies hurt the U.S. economy by not paying their fair share of taxes--the taxes they should have paid could help stimulate the economy, instead, those money are sitting pretty in offshore accounts of the wealthy
- wealth inequality between the rich and the poor
- etc.

So, now, what to do now to turn it all around?  How to make corporations pay their fair share of taxes AND not leave the country? 

We shot ourselves in the foot a long time ago.  We spoiled them.  How do you unspoil spoiled children?  It's a challenge, right?

Regarding the stimulus.  Yeah, it's a political arsenal.  Games being played by both parties.  The portion of the stimulus package that actually went to needy people was just a small portion of the pie that made up the stimulus package.

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2021, 07:40:28 PM »
Things will not get better until 2024 cuz I'm voting for the rock, Dwayne johnson.   "Can you smell what the rock is cooking?  "

Lets work with some logic here.  We do not live in a perfect world cuz a perfect world would be boring.  The stuff and issues that you brought up, it is not something new.  It happens like chit happens.  From time to time, new issue arises like gun control and mass shooting and going postal.  Is there a solution to it?  Yes but you don't want to know what that solution is.  The united state government has her own ways of dealing with things.  You can be concern about it or not be in concern about it and it gets fixed somehow.  It is like the theory of going on strike.  You get a bunch of people striking but after lets say 30 days and your bills are stacking up cuz you don't get payed for holding that picket sign, you break your ground and crosses and go back inside and work.  You co workers will call you weak chit and you shout back that you got bills to pay.  The guy still working inside since day one cuz he don't give a lick of no fawk is laughing his azz off to what is going on.  Then like always, the union settles it and all, including the guy who crosses that line, the strikers and the guy who does nothing will harbor from the labor agreement.

So you see, as far as I remembered from the Ronald Reagan days of the 80's, lots of issues were already there.  Here we are today and those issues are either solved or getting replaced with a newer ones.  It is like a guy who lives with no tv or any news outlet.  The world has issues but he surely doesn't see it or know anything about it and he lives his life just as dandy.  When he wakes up in a few years, problems solved but he still doesn't even know when or how or what is being solved. 

So you see, your rights are still not taken away from you.  The white man issues?  Let the white man somehow solves it.  Just sit back and relax and watch the show.  Worst comes to worst, I'm going back to vietnam to become an struggling viet actor.    :2funny:

I get what you are saying. I'd like to take your stance and look at it like you stated too.  But, the issues that you are not solving, are being solved by someone else... I guess I just think it's better to not leave it all on a few people's shoulders...  we all should put our heads together and fix societal problems, whether they directly impact us or not... because in the end, they most likely find a way to indirectly impact us and make life a little uneasy for us somehow.  But yeah, of course, much easier to not do anything and just act blind and deaf.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1334
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2021, 07:51:21 PM »
I just like how hmgROCK is acting like the little dog running around the big dog barking "hey Spike..hey Spike...hey Spike..." and no one acknowledges him like he's invisible.. ;D ;D ;D:

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2021, 07:55:13 PM »
That’s alright
The truth hurt anyway
I just need uncle sam to keep pumping up my stock and bonds
Buy my stock and make me rich

O0 O0

CANT BEAT THEM
JOIN THEM
RIGHTTT???

Offline walley

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2021, 08:11:32 PM »
Of course I know that big corporate giants are "playing by the rules that are given to them by the IRS."  The U.S. created its own problems via their tax laws, which enabled companies to escape paying taxes. 

U.S. tax laws have created these problems for the U.S.:
- U.S. companies are used to being treated so good (if they were all of a sudden forced to pay taxes they will likely retaliate by moving their business to other countries)
- U.S. companies hurt the U.S. economy by not paying their fair share of taxes--the taxes they should have paid could help stimulate the economy, instead, those money are sitting pretty in offshore accounts of the wealthy
- wealth inequality between the rich and the poor
- etc.

So, now, what to do now to turn it all around?  How to make corporations pay their fair share of taxes AND not leave the country? 

We shot ourselves in the foot a long time ago.  We spoiled them.  How do you unspoil spoiled children?  It's a challenge, right?

Regarding the stimulus.  Yeah, it's a political arsenal.  Games being played by both parties.  The portion of the stimulus package that actually went to needy people was just a small portion of the pie that made up the stimulus package.

If you watched the video, you can see that one of the point was that the tax laws give businesses incentives depending on what they do. Its not that they are being "treated so good". They receive incentives for doing certain things per the tax laws. If you think about it, the previous administration attempted to bring US companies back by decreasing taxes and increasing import/export costs. The current administration's approach is to increase taxes, which is why you see the Secretary of Treasury trying to convince other countries to agree on a global tax rate so US companies might stay in the US because of the same tax rate. The problem is the companies can just go to another country if countries agree with the US on the global tax rate. These are two different approaches to try to retain companies in the country. There is a sweet spot somewhere and that's when businesses will stay and help grow the economy in the US. One example of businesses leaving recently is Kroger in California. The mayor wanted Kroger to pay people more because of the pandemic. Kroeger said no because they can't afford it since they are already operating on very thin margins. They took it to court and the judge sided with the mayor. Kroeger decided to close four stores and now all those people will be without jobs and the area will receive less income from the taxes that could have been generated from the people and the businesses. Imagine if you are forced to pay more taxes than needed? Wouldn't you be mad about it? Most people are W2 and they get taxed and receive different tax credits than businesses. I don't see a "paying fair share of taxes" approach. I see businesses using tax credits and strategies to minimize taxes just like a W2 can use something like children tax credits to minimize their taxable income.

The big issue is that most people are financially illiterate since most schools and parents don't teach children about it. Fast forward several years later and you see those children become adults and have no clue about being financial literate. Some of those adults stumble their way into learning about it and some just never do. I'm not saying that you need to be a financial expert. Understanding the difference between assets and liabilities is a start and you just continue to learn from there. This is why the rich gets richer and the poor stays poor. I'm an example of what I mentioned. I never got taught any of that from family members or the schools I went to until I got older and started reading books and researching things on my own.

hmgPebble dumb as a rock

Offline walley

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2021, 08:12:01 PM »
I just like how hmgROCK is acting like the little dog running around the big dog barking "hey Spike..hey Spike...hey Spike..." and no one acknowledges him like he's invisible.. ;D ;D ;D :

;D ;D ;D

hmgPebble dumb as a rock

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2021, 08:15:35 PM »
Walley know im right
We need uncle sam to keep buying our stock and bond
Corporate welfare

Can’t beat them
Join them

;D ;D ;D

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2021, 08:44:07 PM »

If you watched the video, you can see that one of the point was that the tax laws give businesses incentives depending on what they do. Its not that they are being "treated so good". They receive incentives for doing certain things per the tax laws. If you think about it, the previous administration attempted to bring US companies back by decreasing taxes and increasing import/export costs. The current administration's approach is to increase taxes, which is why you see the Secretary of Treasury trying to convince other countries to agree on a global tax rate so US companies might stay in the US because of the same tax rate. The problem is the companies can just go to another country if countries agree with the US on the global tax rate. These are two different approaches to try to retain companies in the country. There is a sweet spot somewhere and that's when businesses will stay and help grow the economy in the US. One example of businesses leaving recently is Kroger in California. The mayor wanted Kroger to pay people more because of the pandemic. Kroeger said no because they can't afford it since they are already operating on very thin margins. They took it to court and the judge sided with the mayor. Kroeger decided to close four stores and now all those people will be without jobs and the area will receive less income from the taxes that could have been generated from the people and the businesses. Imagine if you are forced to pay more taxes than needed? Wouldn't you be mad about it? Most people are W2 and they get taxed and receive different tax credits than businesses. I don't see a "paying fair share of taxes" approach. I see businesses using tax credits and strategies to minimize taxes just like a W2 can use something like children tax credits to minimize their taxable income.

The big issue is that most people are financially illiterate since most schools and parents don't teach children about it. Fast forward several years later and you see those children become adults and have no clue about being financial literate. Some of those adults stumble their way into learning about it and some just never do. I'm not saying that you need to be a financial expert. Understanding the difference between assets and liabilities is a start and you just continue to learn from there. This is why the rich gets richer and the poor stays poor. I'm an example of what I mentioned. I never got taught any of that from family members or the schools I went to until I got older and started reading books and researching things on my own.

I agree.  Financial literacy, tax laws, obtaining a good credit score, budgeting skills, etc, should be taught to young people before they go out into the world on their own.  Even now, most adults don't know how to budget or plan for the future.  Most don't have enough retirement savings. 

Yeah, each administration has their own approach on how to boost the economy.  No matter which strategy is employed and by who, it will be met with some type of resistance or opposition.

Regarding companies leaving the U.S.  Every company cares about their bottom line.  I think a moral line has to be drawn somewhere though.  For example, if the U.S. has allowed you to become rich via its tax laws and loopholes, wouldn't you want to do the right thing and pay it back in kind?  But humans are by nature, greedy.  The more they have the more they want.

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2021, 09:19:47 PM »
By the way, the corporate welfare scheme doesn't work.  The government gives corporations huge tax incentives for them to create jobs but the ROI rarely materializes.  So, corporate welfare does indeed treat corporations "so good".

Offline walley

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2021, 02:30:41 AM »
I agree.  Financial literacy, tax laws, obtaining a good credit score, budgeting skills, etc, should be taught to young people before they go out into the world on their own.  Even now, most adults don't know how to budget or plan for the future.  Most don't have enough retirement savings. 

Yeah, each administration has their own approach on how to boost the economy.  No matter which strategy is employed and by who, it will be met with some type of resistance or opposition.

Regarding companies leaving the U.S.  Every company cares about their bottom line.  I think a moral line has to be drawn somewhere though.  For example, if the U.S. has allowed you to become rich via its tax laws and loopholes, wouldn't you want to do the right thing and pay it back in kind?  But humans are by nature, greedy.  The more they have the more they want.

You seem to have a negative perspective on companies and taxes. Try listening to what some of these "rich" people actually says instead of the mainstream media and politicians. Why wouldn't companies care about their bottom line? They need to profit to continue to exist. They provide jobs, goods and services to their local community and beyond. Do you realize that many of these companies donate millions or billions each year? For example, last year Walmart donated $1.4 billion globally. Jeff Bezos donated $10 billion to support one of your priorities... climate change. I've come to realize that most of these "rich" people rather donate to what they believe in and want rather than give the money to the government through taxes because they don't believe that the government will use the money properly. There is some truth to that if you consider how much the government waste.

The below are some channels that I'm subscribed to. Some are more general and some focuses more on certain subjects than others.
Minority Mindset - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT3EznhW_CNFcfOlyDNTLLw
The Art of Improvement - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtYzVCmNxrshH4_bPO_-Y-A
Alux - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNjPtOCvMrKY5eLwr_-7eUg
Motivation Madness - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHbq_l1qnuomfJCYQTsWf_Q
Value Entertainment - https://www.youtube.com/user/patrickbetdavid
Mark Moss - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ZM3N0ybRtp44-WLqsW3iQ
Graham Stephan Show - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa-ckhlKL98F8YXKQ-BALiw
Kwak Brothers - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClt9lKNq32cXigDXra0irOg
Peter Schiff Show - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIjuLiLHdFxYtFmWlbTGQRQ
Principles by Ray Dalio - https://www.youtube.com/user/Bridgewater
Rich Dad Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuifm5ns5SRG8LZJ6gCfKyw
Practical Psychology - https://www.youtube.com/c/PracticalPsychologyTips
One Percent Better - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRI6t05DNVlV0XhdI7hx_iw
BeatTheBush - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheBeatTheBush
Economics Explained - https://www.youtube.com/user/JitaLounge
Practical Wisdom - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYyqGqI-bpzGpo5DBtUcJQA

« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 02:51:58 AM by walley »

hmgPebble dumb as a rock

Offline Mr_Mechanic

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +338
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2021, 06:00:33 AM »
hmmm....intere sting

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2021, 09:23:11 AM »

I get what you are saying. I'd like to take your stance and look at it like you stated too.  But, the issues that you are not solving, are being solved by someone else... I guess I just think it's better to not leave it all on a few people's shoulders...  we all should put our heads together and fix societal problems, whether they directly impact us or not... because in the end, they most likely find a way to indirectly impact us and make life a little uneasy for us somehow.  But yeah, of course, much easier to not do anything and just act blind and deaf.

Policies do affect us all in one way or another.  We just have to adjust to it.  Like for example, tax rules that affects my company to take it oversea for cheaper labor and I will be losing my job.  Those who wants to fight it, go right ahead.  I'll just go find me another job. 

It is not the I don't give a dayam policy that I'm holding here.  It is more of a sense of trusting your government to do the right thing.  If government sucks, they will find a way to boot that sucker out.  Sort of like the laws of economics for free market enterprises.  There is an invisible hand there at play that tends to correct things.  Same thing with the market.  She rises, she falls and she corrects herself and inches her way to a new record high. 

We kids were raised in the eyes of the church.  I called us hybrids cuz we are both angels and devils, all in one.  But the point is that there is a bible verse about money issue that goes something like "what is Caesar, give it back to Caesar"  .  Trust your god and he will guild you to safety on rough waters.  So in conclusion, I trusted the hand of the government at play.  I watch it like a movie and I have gone through many presidents in my times to understand that it takes something bigger, much bigger to take down the government of the united states of America.   Maybe like a UFO invasion or something.   :2funny:

and with that, I still got a life line with Vietnam.   O0

Like this post: +1
X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2021, 04:10:15 PM »
One reason why US can't seem to get anything done is because we're living in a democratic gov't...Pres. wants to do things one way, Senate/GOP wants another way and so you have the back and forth.  The most logical thing right now is get this COVID-19 under control so we can get back to normal (economy, schools, work, life, etc..) but because we live in a democratic society, we're going to be wearing mask for a long long time (i'm thinking).  Another, gun violence - this months - there's 30+ mass killings but again we live in a democratic society and nothing will be done.  Race/ and equity==> nothing will change.  Policing will be the same as they've always been.  US Border/Immigrants==>nothing much will change UNTIL Trump comes back into the picture again.   I know the GOP is boiling right now for the border situation but nothing much will be done.

So, I've come to realize that at the end of the day, I am soley responsible for me, can't depend on any gov't and can't wait on the gov't for change to happen.

Like this post: +1
But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

Advertisements