Advertisement

Author Topic: Now this is "generous" vs. ones that take advantage of food bank and soup line  (Read 80 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
..when they don't even need it:

Texas Woman Donates Most of Stimulus Check After Seeing Around 10,000 People Lining Up Outside Food Bank

A woman in Texas gave away most of her stimulus check after she saw thousands of people lined up outside a food bank in her city.

Toi Cudworth donated $950 to the San Antonio Food Bank and also bought groceries for a neighbor who was recently laid off due to the coronavirus pandemic, MarketWatch reported.

Cudworth, who works for a credit union in San Antonio, told the website that she made the donation after being disheartened by news reports about the number of people lining up for food outside the food bank. Around 10,000 people lined up for a drive-they food giveaway organized by the food bank earlier this month, Texas Public Radio reported.

"I've got a freezer full of food and it just breaks my heart to see people in line," Cudworth said. "It's America. People shouldn't be hungry."

Cudworth added that she also plans to give money from her check to an elderly couple who live near her and spend some of the remaining funds on treats for her dogs. She has been contacted for additional comment.

She's not the only person generously giving away some or all the money received from the stimulus check issued to eligible Americans as part of a $2 trillion coronavirus relief package.

An online campaign called Pledge My Stimulus has attracted more than 100 people who have vowed to donate all or part of their government stimulus checks to organizations in need during the pandemic. People have vowed to donate more than $77,000 to organizations across the U.S. including food banks, charities, and churches.

Meanwhile, a man in Virginia man donated his entire $1,200 stimulus check to a stranger, saying it would have been "selfish" of him to keep it since he was still able to work during the pandemic.

Cameron Crockett, 31, took to Facebook last month to announce he would be donating his check from the government to one randomly selected person "because people more deeply affected by the crisis need it more than me."

This infographic, provided by Statista, shows the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases around the U.S. as of April 22.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Advertisements