Advertisement

Author Topic: anybody here ever attempted to hike down the GRAND CANYON before???  (Read 1428 times)

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
i will be there next month with my wife
in pretty good shape
the goal is to hike down to the bottom and touch the river and than back up

any tips would be appreciated

Like this post: 0
God did not created man...man created god

Adverstisement

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
I won't make it.  Too out of shape.

Offline Kong Vang

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
in pretty good shape

Depending on where you decide to hike, you may need a permit and those are given out in a lotto format, so it may be too late already. Also hiking down is no joke. It is not a one day hike. Even experience hikers will take at least 2 days, one in and one out. I hiked the South Rim back in 2007 and it was a great experience.

Off the top of my head.

Go in the Spring or Fall, less crowds and cooler weather.
Water, water, and more mater. the Grand Canyon is desert like and water is hard to find. Some trails do have springs but it is not guaranteed.
Dress in layers, temperatures can drop super low at night and go super high during the day.

Have fun.

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
    • View Profile
I will be there next month
The heat is going be a killer for your boy ROCK
anything over 70 degree
And im roasted

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
A guy's car died on the road on the way to the Grand Canyon, so he borrowed a local farmer's mule to ride to the Grand Canyon.

He was told the mule understood only two words: Hallelujah means go and Amen means stop.

He hopped onto the mule and said "Hallelujah! Hallelujah!" and the mule galloped away. He then said "Amen" and the mule stopped.

So, he could direct the mule slowly like that all the way to the Grand Canyon. 

But as they got close to it, he realized the mule was not going to stop; it just kept going and going.

They were now near a cliff. "Stop! Stop!" he told the mule.

There was no stopping.

He was all sweating and frightful.

Suddenly, the mule somehow was able to stop itself right at the tip of the cliff.

"Hallelujah!" the man said.

Like this post: +1
"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Take lots of water and a good cell phone with you.

in pretty good shape

"...

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
I lived in such high desert terrain when I was a jr in high school.

I was in the best shape of my life and I did not mind the hot weather or sandy desert at all.  Besides, no shirt policy and shorts were my normal outfit.  I would walked by myself out in no man's land like an explorer and would see things like a dry creek that looks like gold flakes were left behind.  Roadrunner looking for a salamander meal.  Rabbits to hunt from.  There goes this big hole in the ground looks like a company did some digging that left a pool of water.  This is where you can find other life forms like desert toads or frogs to snakes and other critters prowling for a drink.  I was a survivalist because that was my playground for that one year of my life while living in barstow california.  Look up google image to see how sad that city suburbs looks like. 

Whenever I drive to vegas, I'll have to pass my old city and I get nauseated.  When you only 17 and put in a living conditions like a redneck hill billy trailer trash environment, you become it for your own survival.  When you that young, you never think about the danger involved.  Had I died out there, I'll just be another missing person.  Hell no I can't live the Mexican lifestyle so you guys go on with yourself and if there is an emergency, don't say I didn't warn ya.  Desert living is no joke unless you are equipped to live through that environment.  One of a worst way to die is to die of thirst. 

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
A man’s car died near the grand canyon.  He started to walk towards town when he came across an old Mexican man who was pulling a mule along. The man said “sir, can I buy your mule?  I need something to ride to town, my car died”.  The mexican man said “oh no senior, my mule, he no look so good”.  “He’s fine said the man, here’s $100, I’ll leave him in town. You can have him back if you want, I just need a ride”.  The Mexican man took the money and the man got on the mule. It started running and ran right over a cliff.  The Mexican ran over and said “Senior!  I told you, he no look so good”.

A guy's car died on the road on the way to the Grand Canyon, so he borrowed a local farmer's mule to ride to the Grand Canyon.

He was told the mule understood only two words: Hallelujah means go and Amen means stop.

He hopped onto the mule and said "Hallelujah! Hallelujah!" and the mule galloped away. He then said "Amen" and the mule stopped.

So, he could direct the mule slowly like that all the way to the Grand Canyon. 

But as they got close to it, he realized the mule was not going to stop; it just kept going and going.

They were now near a cliff. "Stop! Stop!" he told the mule.

There was no stopping.

He was all sweating and frightful.

Suddenly, the mule somehow was able to stop itself right at the tip of the cliff.

"Hallelujah!" the man said.

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
    • View Profile
I lived in such high desert terrain when I was a jr in high school.

I was in the best shape of my life and I did not mind the hot weather or sandy desert at all.  Besides, no shirt policy and shorts were my normal outfit.  I would walked by myself out in no man's land like an explorer and would see things like a dry creek that looks like gold flakes were left behind.  Roadrunner looking for a salamander meal.  Rabbits to hunt from.  There goes this big hole in the ground looks like a company did some digging that left a pool of water.  This is where you can find other life forms like desert toads or frogs to snakes and other critters prowling for a drink.  I was a survivalist because that was my playground for that one year of my life while living in barstow california.  Look up google image to see how sad that city suburbs looks like. 

Whenever I drive to vegas, I'll have to pass my old city and I get nauseated.  When you only 17 and put in a living conditions like a redneck hill billy trailer trash environment, you become it for your own survival.  When you that young, you never think about the danger involved.  Had I died out there, I'll just be another missing person.  Hell no I can't live the Mexican lifestyle so you guys go on with yourself and if there is an emergency, don't say I didn't warn ya.  Desert living is no joke unless you are equipped to live through that environment.  One of a worst way to die is to die of thirst.

I though you say you grew up in the swamp of Louisiana??

I be in the Grand Canyon next month
Give me some good sightseeing place

I want to attempt hike to the bottom
Hopefully its not too hot

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +200
    • View Profile
There's a isolated town/village w/ a waterfall near the Grand Canyon.  You have to hike there.

But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
    • View Profile
Re: anybody here ever attempted to hike down the GRAND CANYON before???
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 11:00:38 AM »
There's a isolated town/village w/ a waterfall near the Grand Canyon.  You have to hike there.

well see how the body feel
when we get there next month
going from wisconsin to warm climate
got me sweating, can't breath

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2021, 01:57:35 PM »
I though you say you grew up in the swamp of Louisiana??

I be in the Grand Canyon next month
Give me some good sightseeing place

I want to attempt hike to the bottom
Hopefully its not too hot

You thought wrong and it is ok to be wrong cuz theking already notion that you are wrong before.   :2funny:

Grew up in narleans, left for cali in 89, moved down south of cali for 1 year to live with my dad, finished my senior year up north.  So overall, went to 3 different high schools.  Sounds like a platform for a trouble teen but I'm just a victim of circumstances.  High honors student here.   O0

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2021, 02:22:04 PM »
You thought wrong and it is ok to be wrong cuz theking already notion that you are wrong before.   :2funny:

Grew up in narleans, left for cali in 89, moved down south of cali for 1 year to live with my dad, finished my senior year up north.  So overall, went to 3 different high schools.  Sounds like a platform for a trouble teen but I'm just a victim of circumstances.  High honors student here.   O0

Need to keep your story straight
Cop going see through your lies

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 03:54:49 PM »

His "reading comprehension" (per the neutral PH members) issues are still running rabid... ;D:

reading comprehension.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2021, 04:26:13 PM »
Lol.

A man’s car died near the grand canyon.  He started to walk towards town when he came across an old Mexican man who was pulling a mule along. The man said “sir, can I buy your mule?  I need something to ride to town, my car died”.  The mexican man said “oh no senior, my mule, he no look so good”.  “He’s fine said the man, here’s $100, I’ll leave him in town. You can have him back if you want, I just need a ride”.  The Mexican man took the money and the man got on the mule. It started running and ran right over a cliff.  The Mexican ran over and said “Senior!  I told you, he no look so good”.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 04:29:06 PM by Reporter »

"...

Advertisements