Advertisement

Author Topic: I've also educated some Hmong elders regarding race assumptions and stereotypes  (Read 202 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Young Latinos see racism in their cultures — and they're calling their parents out on it

Across the country in Los Angeles, younger Latinos are challenging older family members in a city known for its diversity — as well as racial tensions.

"There are times where my mom has gotten mad at me — she said something that was racist toward Asian folks and I said it was not OK, and she will sit down and talk about it later," Esthefanie Solano, 27, of Long Beach, told NBC News.

"I won’t apologize for having conversations about race. I let her have her feelings but we sit down," Solano said. "I try to share what is happening around us and connect how other communities are impacted, like how Chinese families are scapegoated with Covid and how they are blamed, and I give her examples of how we are scapegoated as immigrants. I create comparisons."

Saul Ríos, 64, admitted his two daughters have had many conversations with him where they tell him, “No, pa, things aren’t like that; they are like this.”

Ríos, who emigrated from Mexico in the 1980s, said his daughters, ages 27 and 38, reprimand him when he makes “inappropriate jokes” that make fun of another group or race.

"I think jokes are a way we deal with things, in Mexican culture," Ríos said. "My daughters tell me that even with jokes, we make things that are not good seem like they are OK, because it is like we make them less serious."

Ríos said his daughters have taught him about the need to support the Black community.

"While we Latinos face discrimination, to be a person of color in this country, specifically to be Black, is something that comes with a lot," Ríos said, "that at times we have a hard time recognizing because we are so wrapped up in our own experience."

Ongoing conversations are important in a country that still resists learning its real history, Braddock said.

"Because of the political divisions that exists today, there are contemporary efforts to keep knowledge about Black history —which is really American history — from being fully documented and vetted," he said. He pointed to the ongoing opposition to teach the New York Times' seminal "1619 Project," which threads slavery into all aspects of the country's history, and the debate over critical race theory.

Jeremy Perez, 18, who lives in L.A., challenged the idea that it's only older generations who need to rethink their views on the legacy of racism and discrimination, saying this is also an issue among his peers.

"I have seen some really f----- up messaging group text with things they think are just funny about race, women and some stupid stuff. I don’t think my generation is woke like you all like to say," Perez said. "I think we just need to lead by example and try to keep talking with each other."

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Advertisements