Advertisement

Author Topic: Another first for Hmong in professional sports  (Read 363 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Another first for Hmong in professional sports
« on: May 15, 2022, 10:11:20 PM »
Columbus Crew 2 Midfielder among first professional soccer players of Hmong descent in U.S.
Michael Vang grew up in St. Paul, Minnesota. He was surrounded by a family who loved soccer, one likely influenced by his father.

Now there is another "first" for the Hmong people in Columbus. 

Michael Vang is a midfielder with the Columbus Crew 2 and is among the first Hmong professional players in the U.S.

“It brings just so many people from different places together and I’m just grateful to be here,” said Vang about his recent start on the professional soccer team.

Vang grew up in Saint Paul, Minnesota.  He was surrounded by a family who loved soccer, one likely influenced by his father.   His dad coached club level in France before emigrating to the U.S.  After finding the love for the sport in his kids, he started soccer clubs and leagues in the small Minnesota suburb.

“They told me that it’s a big step and to always give 100% and not 50 because everyone is watching you,” said Vang about his parents. “All eyes are on you and you want to set a good example and show them the reason why you’re there.”

In 2020, Vang arrived into the world of professional soccer players. He started his career as a Forward at Madison FC from 2020 to 2021. 

His brother Brian, also step up to the professional world in 2020. The two became some of the first Hmong players on the soccer field in the U.S.

Last month, Ohio state senator Tina Maharath tweeted this photo - saying "it was great taking my son to the first Crew 2 game where he saw his first Hmong player ever.” 

In 2018 she too broke barriers, becoming the first Asian American woman elected to the Ohio Senate.  And just like her, Michael says representation does matter.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
  • Still a little boy running free in Laos
  • Respect: +555
    • View Profile
Re: Another first for Hmong in professional sports
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 10:19:10 PM »
Hopefully one day he can make the first team roster with any MLS team. Still not bad to be able to get to his level. Congratulation s!

I take refuge in the Buddha.
I take refuge in the dharma.
I take refuge in the sangha.

Theravada

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 12:09:17 AM »
Nice.Congrats to us all for having such talent in Michael Vang!

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 03:20:18 PM »
My co worker's son, a vietnamese declined a million dollar salary to play for an american soccer team but instead, he went and play for them teams from oversea. 

So yeah, hmong in pro sports are great but learn how to milk them dollars.  O0

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +245
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 03:53:38 PM »
Hopefully, he won't be the last.

- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

Advertisements