Advertisement

Author Topic: My Taco is not quite on these list yet but it's getting there  (Read 286 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile

My Taco is currently sitting at 225k:

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
  • Still a little boy running free in Laos
  • Respect: +555
    • View Profile
Re: My Taco is not quite on these list yet but it's getting there
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 08:48:14 AM »
Time for Gen 4  ;D

Like this post: +1
I take refuge in the Buddha.
I take refuge in the dharma.
I take refuge in the sangha.

Theravada

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2023, 01:16:45 PM »
Still good with my 2nd Gen Taco. Still runs great so don't have any reason to give it up yet.. 8)

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2023, 01:27:43 PM »
Some vehicles are just gifted.  Not all are made the same.  All depending on if a person up keep the vehicle with routine maintenance. 

When I said gifted, you can skip maintenance and she still trucking.  One lady I overheard that said...I did not know I have to change my oil.  She had an old model honda accord and oil bay was completely dry.  She only drives 5 miles or less per day so that helps her longevity and abuse. 

My aunt's 2011 camry is also another neglected vehicles.  423K miles now and still trucking.  100K is her tune up and that includes air filter too.  My gosh, when her car did not idle, I cleaned out her mass air flow and throttle body and it was dark dirt in her throttle body.  Her oil change has always been with synthetic at 10K.  Now, I make her do it at 7K.  She also has an internal oil leak but to fix it is to change the pvc value only costing $15 for parts but for the like of me, I could not get to it.  That particular model of a car has issues with that parts and is the hardest to get to.  Sometimes I think they make it tough so customers can bring their vehicles to the shop so they can make the money.  I asked a mechanic shop how much for labor to change that $15 part the size of your pinky and he said $400 the least.  I'm like forget about it.  So it is a blessing in disguise if you have slow oil leak.  Why?  Well it will cost you for buying oil to top it off but if you think about it, she is driving new clean oil all the time.  Perhaps this is the fountain of youth for car longevity?  It is just a theory of mine but I dunno.  Eventually everything will fall apart when due time comes.  Fix a little here and a little there.  Replace this parts and that parts.  In california, vehicles that are still working and can drive often times get retired due to not passing smog.  Yall non smog states can surely use them.  Drive till the wheels fall off. 

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2023, 04:30:44 PM »
Still good with my 2nd Gen Taco. Still runs great so don't have any reason to give it up yet.. 8)

I agree. I have always liked the late 80s and early 90s cars/trucks. These days, not so much.

Theravada

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2023, 04:32:05 PM »
Some vehicles are just gifted.  Not all are made the same.  All depending on if a person up keep the vehicle with routine maintenance. 

When I said gifted, you can skip maintenance and she still trucking.  One lady I overheard that said...I did not know I have to change my oil.  She had an old model honda accord and oil bay was completely dry.  She only drives 5 miles or less per day so that helps her longevity and abuse. 

My aunt's 2011 camry is also another neglected vehicles.  423K miles now and still trucking.  100K is her tune up and that includes air filter too.  My gosh, when her car did not idle, I cleaned out her mass air flow and throttle body and it was dark dirt in her throttle body.  Her oil change has always been with synthetic at 10K.  Now, I make her do it at 7K.  She also has an internal oil leak but to fix it is to change the pvc value only costing $15 for parts but for the like of me, I could not get to it.  That particular model of a car has issues with that parts and is the hardest to get to.  Sometimes I think they make it tough so customers can bring their vehicles to the shop so they can make the money.  I asked a mechanic shop how much for labor to change that $15 part the size of your pinky and he said $400 the least.  I'm like forget about it.  So it is a blessing in disguise if you have slow oil leak.  Why?  Well it will cost you for buying oil to top it off but if you think about it, she is driving new clean oil all the time.  Perhaps this is the fountain of youth for car longevity?  It is just a theory of mine but I dunno.  Eventually everything will fall apart when due time comes.  Fix a little here and a little there.  Replace this parts and that parts.  In california, vehicles that are still working and can drive often times get retired due to not passing smog.  Yall non smog states can surely use them.  Drive till the wheels fall off.

Very true, some automobile owners don’t do much. Could also be luck.

Car problems is a pain and very costly.

Theravada

Offline Cali Guy

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +650
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2023, 05:34:22 PM »
My next two vehicles are in the top 10 of this list. I changed out vehicle every few years.

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2023, 06:12:59 PM »
Very true, some automobile owners don’t do much. Could also be luck.

Car problems is a pain and very costly.

Well if you have no mechanic inclined person in your family then you can not play the way of "owning till the wheels fall off" tactics. 

the rich don't play it like the poor now do they?  They are rich for a reason.  They know something or calculated things differently hence why they are rich.  A lot of rich guys I noticed drives any vehicles they want.  They lease it though.  Another smart way is to buy new and once you hit that 100K mark, you sell it or trade it in to get another new.  Rinse this process and you will never have to deal with mechanic and what not.  Car manufactures are smart.  They give you them warranty up to a point where they think your vehicle will break down.  This is the point where you should give away your used vehicle to the next sucker so they can deal with the mechanical issues that comes with all vehicles.  They will always drive new.

If you do the math and lets say 100k and 10 years.  When you are 30 to 40, lets say you can afford to pay off your vehicle.  At 40 to 50, you are driving your 2nd new vehicle.  50 to 60 is 3rd.  60 to 70 is 4th.  So all throughout your life, you will be driving just 4 new vehicles.  Now imagine that.  Life is too short. 

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Advertisements