Advertisement

Author Topic: Extra profit may be nice but Costco is doing the right thing by cracking down  (Read 204 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1329
    • View Profile
Costco Is Cracking Down on This Policy

Costco is known for its amazing deals on everything from office supplies to groceries to furniture. Another thing it’s known for? It’s membership policy. To get those amazing deals, only cardholders can shop at the store. That means that if your name doesn’t match the name on the card, you’re really not supposed to be shopping. And whoever’s name is on the card must be the person paying.

Of course, sometimes shoppers occasionally fudge the rules and lend out their card to a friend or family member. But that not-so-strict membership sharing is coming to an end as many Costco shoppers are reporting much more diligent membership verification on their recent trips.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +248
    • View Profile
On a different note...
I've heard that Netflix is doing the same? No more multiple login in multiple locations.
I remember when my bro has Netflix a few years back, we would all shared it even when we lived in different states.

- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
I think the law states that you can eat at their food court without a membership card and go in to buy liquor.  Yes, that's the law.  Just say you are going in there to buy liquor and they will let you in.  Not sure if they revise this rule but that is how people that knows would use that vice for free entry so they can load up on food freebies.   Oh, did I say it out loud?  I hope hmoobrock did not get to see this.   :2funny:

1. You don't have to be a member to buy alcohol. (in some states)
https://www.delish.com/food/a58268/things-you-should-know-before-buying-booze-at-costco/

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
If I was poor and/or homeless, that $1.50 hot dog and soda combo deal seemed like a good deal... ;D

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
First issue of the crackdown?  ???:

Costco customer says interrogation triggered by new ID policy offended her

Longtime Costco customer Leronda Jackson was offended Wednesday when an employee at the retailer’s Centerville store claimed Jackson’s face didn’t match the one on the back of her membership ID card.

Costco nationwide recently announced a new policy that calls for employees to check store membership ID cards against the person using them, especially at the self-check registers, because nonmembers have been using other people’s cards.

Wednesday evening, Jackson recounted her experience with News Center 7 Investigative Reporter John Bedell. It all began with a random interrogation at the self-scan registers, Jackson said, and tensions rose from there.

“The young lady just said, ‘I’m going to need to check your card. We’re doing facial recognition. It’s our new policy.’ I said, Yeah, I heard about it.”

So, the Englewood woman said she gave the employee her membership card -- complete with the color photo of Jackson on the back.

“She said, ‘Well, this is not you. ' "

“And I said, It says Leronda Jackson. That is me. So she said, ‘No, I’m saying this picture is not the person I’m looking at.’ "

“So I got offended. So I was like, Excuse me?”

“I said, Look, that’s me, That is my card. And then as my voice began to raise, she said, ‘Well, I’m sorry, it’s the lighting in the store and maybe I don’t have good eyes today.’ "

Jackson finished scanning and paying for her items and left. She returned a while later to speak with an assistant manager, who offered an apology. The assistant manager chalked it up to a “training issue,” Jackson said.

She said she was told someone from the corporate office would be calling her Thursday. News Center 7′s request for comment from corporate officials at Costco so far has gone unanswered.

The employee never asked for a second piece of ID, Jackson said, which would have settled the issue.

Advertisements