Advertisement

Author Topic: Fashion Slaves...what are you wearing today?  (Read 734322 times)

Reload Wife

Re: Fashion Slaves...what are you wearing today?
« Reply #2925 on: July 27, 2012, 06:15:43 PM »
i love casual fridays!  :D
top - forever21 // jeans - seven for all mankind

Cute top. I wish we have casual Friday.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

snowpea

« Reply #2926 on: August 01, 2012, 12:07:28 PM »

Woke up late so threw this on.
Casual little black dress with a knitted tan cardigan. Both from Ross.

Like this post: +1

LadyLionness

« Reply #2927 on: August 01, 2012, 02:59:27 PM »
Yesterday... 7/31

1.  Teri Jon Lace jacket
2.  Dana Buchman black draped tank top
3.  DKNY bootcut blue jeans
4.  Sofft Studded caged sandals

LadyLionness

« Reply #2928 on: August 01, 2012, 03:01:02 PM »
1.  Bebe Red Motorcycle Trench
2.  Covington (Sears) grey and black stripe tank
3.  Eddie Bauer grey boot cut jeans
4.  Red Born flora sandals

LadyLionness

« Reply #2929 on: August 20, 2012, 11:41:34 AM »
From Closet Edit to Closet Review  Editing is only one aspect of the closet review process. It is a very big aspect, which is why we spend so much time talking about it, but in addition to editing things out, you need to think about adding things in. So once the edit is complete, your attention should turn to the following question:
 <blockquote>What should you add to your wardrobe so that it reflects your current style preferences, lifestyle, environment and climate in the form of great fitting, comfortable and flattering items?
 </blockquote>You will be thinking about how to put together your looks for the next few months, the next season, or perhaps even the next couple of years, and building a shopping list for what you need to acquire.

Of course, you were probably already doing this while you were editing your closet because it is natural to think about the adds as you deal with the edits. You probably also created a list of missing wardrobe items along the way. Great idea! But it’s alwaysbest to also do a thorough review once your wardrobe is edited and organized.

Without this final review, you run the risk of putting the wrong things on your shopping list, buying up all this stuff, but still feeling like you have nothing to wear. On the other hand, if you have the discipline to take this final step you’ll get a better idea of how your wardrobe items relate to each other, which in turn will help you to make more informed decisions about what to put on that shopping list.

You can think about the final step of a closet review in terms of the following questions:

• How does each item fit into an outfit, or into several outfits? Are there any incomplete outfits?
  • What are your personal wardrobe essentials? Are you missing any of these items? Do you have any that need to be duplicated?
  • Have you covered all the wardrobe capsules for your lifestyle? Sleepwear, underwear, lounge wear, socks and hosiery, workout wear and sports gear should not escape the closet review process. Be sure to address those areas of your life too.
  • How does each item fit into a capsule, or into several capsules? Are there any additions you could make to help existing items work with more capsules?
  • Do you need to build onto a particular capsule in order to get more mileage from its components?
  • Do you need to introduce colour and pattern? Do you need to introduce neutrals and solids?
  • Do you have enough tops for your bottoms, and vice versa?
  • Do you have enough dresses to balance your outfits that are based on separates?
  • What new styles or silhouettes would you like to try? Can you slot these silhouettes into an existing capsule, or do you need to build one from scratch? And if the latter, can you afford to build a new wardrobe capsule?
When I review closets with my clients, we answer these questions as we haul out the items and spread them onto the bed. That helps us think of items in the outfit and capsule groupings. Visuals are important! I also encourage clients to try on suggested outfit combinations to make sure that they like the pairings. There is no use thinking up a combination in your head just to satisfy the need of creating an extra outfit when it doesn’t work in real life. Get cracking and try on those outfit combinations.

We end up spending a chunk of time creating outfits with existing items, as well as thinking about how we can create that next level of fabness by adding the right new items into the mix. As we go I capture the shopping list on a piece of paper, but you might want to use your laptop or iPad.

Remember that your shopping list is not cast in stone. You can change your mind as you see fit. But it does help you to focus on your needs when you shop. For example, as much as you love to shop for tops, you might have that covered. And what you really need is to flesh out your assortment of bottoms. If this is reflected on your list, and you make a point of using your list, there will be less dilly-dallying about, looking at tops. You will naturally focus on looking for the right bottoms.

This process might sound overwhelming and I wish I had a shortcut solution, but there’s no free lunch. If you want to create a fully functional wardrobe in a cost effective manner, closet review discipline pays off. The good news is that the more regularly you review, the faster and easier the process becomes. As practice hones your closet review skills, you will reach a point where editing and adding to your wardrobe becomes much less a process and much more intuitive. When that happens, fashion becomes more fun than ever.

LadyLionness

« Reply #2930 on: August 20, 2012, 12:14:44 PM »

I suggest creating six piles of items when you edit your closet. I’ve mentioned them when writing about closet editing challenges in the past, but in this post I’d like to go into a little more detail.

Here they are:

• Keep: These are the items that you love and are aligned with your current style preferences. They make you feel great when you wear them, are flattering, and fit well.
  • Temporary Keep: These items aren’t quite right, but you rely on them to pull together daily outfits. The plan is to replace the items when you have the time and budget, or when a good substitute comes your way. For example, I will wear extra comfy shoes into the ground because finding a replacement does not happen overnight. Or, you recently found out that most of your trousers are too short. You can’t let down the hems or purchase another six pairs straight away. So you’ll rebuild your trouser collection step by step, getting rid of the ill fitting pairs as you add in the updates.
  • Alteration: Sometimes a little hem, nip or tuck is necessary in order for an item to fit or look updated. Shorten or lengthen hems and sleeves, have shoes resoled, take in tops at the side seams, sew on new buttons, alter waistbands and remove pocket linings. All items that need altering end up in this pile.
  • Holding Zone: This is an interesting pile that is hopefully not too large! It’s made up of items that are questionable, but you’re not entirely sure they should be banished from your life forever. Pop them into an area that is out of sight. Give yourself a season to gauge whether you really miss them. If so, haul them back into your closet. If not, pass them on.
  • Sentimental: These are the items that you don’t wear, but they tell a story, bring back a fond memory, or remind you of the good old days. You don’t want these items cluttering up your closet, especially when space is at a premium, but you can’t part with them either. So pack them into a “sentimental box” that you’ll store out of the way. That said, occasionally it’s nice to keep the odd sentimental pieces in your wardrobe even though you don’t wear them. I used to keep my late Mum’s brocade jacket, the one that she wore to our wedding, in our closet because it made me smile each time I looked at it. I finally moved it away when I was ready to do so.
  • Pass On: These are the items that you don’t like, have outgrown, are beyond alteration and are unflattering, dated, ruined, don’t fit, or are no longer in line with your current style preferences. Pass them on by donating them to places like goodwill, the Salvation Army and non-profit organizations like Dress For Success. Consign them, sell them on eBay, pass them on to friends and family members, or have a swap party.

You’ll greatly reduce the closet editing process by making it a more frequent event. And if you do a fast edit every few months like I do, you’ll create fewer and much smaller piles.

How often do you edit your closet? Are you challenged along the way? Please post your closet editing questions in the comments section and we’ll get you sorted. If you are a seasoned closet editor, do chime in and share your own tips.

LadyLionness

« Reply #2931 on: August 20, 2012, 12:16:26 PM »
Closet Editing Challenges  Closet editing should be a straight forward exercise and I’ve written several posts on how to attack the process. If you’re not in the habit of editing regularly, set aside about 5 hours to create six piles. Here is a summary of the pile sorting strategy, which involves lots of re-trying of clothes, footwear and accessories:

• Pile 1 for items that stay in your wardrobe.
  • Pile 2 for items that require alteration.
  • Pile 3 is the holding zone.
  • Pile 4 for items of sentimental value (stuff that you don’t wear, but cannot part with either).
  • Pile 5 for items that aren’t great, but serve their purpose for activities like gardening, home improvements and camping.
  • Pile 6 for items to pass on.
Unless the item is for Pile 5, get rid of stuff that’s soiled, ill-fitting, unflattering against your complexion, uncomfortable, doesn’t make you feel fab, or just not part of the current leg of your style journey. Seems simple, right?

For some people this process is dead easy, because they have a clear sense of their style preferences and what looks best. They also understand how items should fit, and don’t have trouble letting go of things that have seen better days, or never worked in the first place.

For others, closet editing is an overwhelming, time consuming and lonely process filled with doubt, guilt and the battle to pass on items that don’t work. It can even lead to negative body image, spinning people into a downward spiral because clothing doesn’t fit the way it used to.

There are many potential sources of frustration. Perhaps you’re not sure how items should fit or you can’t tell when they are dated. What if you can’t tell when a colour looks fab or drab? What if, heaven forbid, you get rid of things that have stylish potential? What if everything just ends up in the holding zone and you are back to square one? How are you going to get through the editing process without feeling like giving up all together? How are you going to find the time to do it?

These frustrating feelings are completely understandable and it’s one of the reasons I have a job. But hiring a fashion stylist or wardrobe professional is not essential. You can edit your own closet even if it’s sometimes hard to make the right decisions. Here are some ideas to ease the process:

• Round up a savvy closet mate: It could be a friend, sibling, child, parent, or partner. Two pairs of hands and a sounding board are effective and efficient tools for this process. Discuss editing dilemmas and fit concerns along the way and keep up the positive body image talk. Boost and energize each other along the way.
  • Post questions on a style forum: If pairing with a savvy closet mate is not an option, post your questions and concerns on a style forum, like the one we have here on YLF. The help of a supportive community can make the closet editing process pain free and fun.
  • Tackle one closet section at a time: Setting aside the better half of a day to closet edit might not be an option. Divide the editing process into a few shorter sessions until you’ve finally worked through the lot.

Practice makes perfect. The more you closet edit, the easier and simpler this process becomes. I promise!

Spring often motivates us to clean-up and get organized. Have you recently edited your closet? What types of closet editing challenges do you face, if any, and how have you overcome them? Do you enjoy closet editing?

LadyLionness

« Reply #2932 on: August 20, 2012, 12:19:12 PM »
Has anyone ever regretted doing a major closet sweep?

I just did an "out with the old, in the with new year" sweep and my criteria was:

1) I had to love it
2) It had to fit what I see as "my" style (which has developed since YLF this fall)
3) I had worn it at least once this season

My closet is half empty, and I'm a little panicked. BUT, what I have hanging there is great, and I wear it all the time.

In a way, I feel great, but do you think I've gone too far? For example, there are things that I bought last year that cost good money that I am shedding (an Oilily skirt that is mid-calf that is just not me anymore, for example).

LadyLionness

« Reply #2933 on: August 20, 2012, 12:20:37 PM »
Clean your way to an inspirational closet  I encourage regular closet sweeps and there is no better time to do it than early in the new year. I notice on the forum that some people got stuck in before my annual reminder. Brilliant.

Your goal is to have a small, fully-functional and efficient wardrobe. Trust me ladies, this is how you alleviate “what to wear” stress and save money. Here are the guidelines:

• Be ruthless: You’ll defeat the goal of the exercise if you’re not brutal about the process. Obviously, you need something to wear, so it might mean holding onto less-then-perfect items until you can afford to replace them.
  • Create a holding zone: Store items somewhere (like in the garage or attic) if you think you might miss them later. These are the items you are unsure about passing on. If you haven’t missed these pieces after one year, find new homes for them.
  • Keep a sentimental box: I’m not unreasonable. Unflattering items that are loaded with fond memories deserve a special place. We keep these items in a box in the garage so that they don’t clutter our small walk-in-wardrobe. Some of my clients have resorted to taking pictures instead of keeping the physical pieces as a way of optimizing space.
  • Keep everything in sight and on hand: It’s not ideal to swap out seasons, or use more than one closet (that’s why I encourage a small wardrobe). Try to have all your clothes, shoes and accessories in one place. It prevents repetition and encourages ensemble creativity and variety.
  • Create a closet system you can maintain: The crux is keeping your closet neat and manageable. There is little point in tidying up when your shelves are a shambles a week later. Create a storage system that works for you so that you know what you have at all times.

Once you have a fully-functioning wardrobe, adopt the ”one-in, one-out” principle. This forces you to keep things under control. Thereafter, the skill lies in updating your wardrobe with the right items and in the right quantities to keep your look current, appropriate and fabulous. Bring on the closet sweep!

Other posts in the closet organization category that you may want to consult:

LadyLionness

« Reply #2934 on: August 20, 2012, 12:21:57 PM »
Your closet: inspiration or irritation? I believe in a small, fully-functional and efficient wardrobe. Those of you who have seen my closet will back me up when I say that I share a small walk-in wardrobe with my husband and I keep all my seasons, footwear and accessories together in one place. I keep my coats in a closet downstairs and my underwear, socks and workout wear in a chest of drawers that I share with hubby.

That’s it. Everything that I need to put together an outfit is in sight and on hand and this is key. I get to shop in my own closet everyday which keeps me calm and makes my toes tingle. It takes a bit of energy keeping your closet organized but once you’re in the routine, it’s easy as pie and worth the effort. I swear that I save time and money by knowing exactly what I have and being able to retrieve it instantly.

Creating a happy, practical and comfortable personal dressing environment is achievable, even if your closet is relatively small. It’s a question of savvy editing and clever storage. Take the time to clean out your closet over the next few weeks and make 4 piles (a pile to donate, to alter, to store and to keep). Once you’ve done that, get organized and introduce a closet system that works for you.

I edit my closet 4 times a year and use a “one-in, one-out” principle which keeps it tight and manageable. The skill lies in updating a wardrobe with the right items to keep your look current, timeless and fab, and in the correct amounts to keep your wardrobe balanced.

These skills can be learned and applied. It also helps to have the right storage and these IKEA wardrobe systems are affordable and may serve as some inspiration.

LadyLionness

« Reply #2935 on: August 20, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
Wardrobe essentials  I’ve written several blog entries suggesting the minimum number of items you need in different categories in order to have an efficient wardrobe that covers all the bases. Of course, these suggestions are just a starting point. You may find that your wardrobe functions better with more items in one of these categories. Look at the details in the individual blog entries and adapt the suggestions to your specific situation.

• 1-4 pairs of jeans. The number will differ depending on your lifestyle and your preferences. If you love jeans and wear them daily, you’ll need four pairs. If you seldom wear jeans, limit yourself to one fabulous pair.
  • 2 dresses. One for day and one for night.
  • 3 coats. This won’t hold true for warm weather locations, but it’s a must if you live in a country that has four seasons.
  • 3 handbags. This requirement cuts across all lifestyles and age groups.
  • 4 “everyday” bras and 10 “everyday” undies. This excludes sports bras and special occasion underwear.
  • 6 pairs of shoes. This excludes slippers, workout sneakers, wellington boots and gardening clogs.

You will also need tops, camisoles, jackets, knitwear, more bottoms and accessories to put together stylish ensembles on a  daily basis. It is difficult to specify quantities for these additional items because they depend on lifestyle, dress codes, body types, personal preferences, your local climate and travel requirements. If you are building a wardrobe of the bare essentials, however, the list above is a good place to start.

LadyLionness

« Reply #2936 on: August 20, 2012, 12:24:48 PM »
Your wardrobe favourites  I love everything in my wardrobe, but do have favourites. These are the items that make me feel extra special when I put them on. Some of these items are worn daily, whereas others are worn weekly, monthly or a few times a year. They are extremely versatile and I’d really miss them if they were gone.

• My footwear collection. I do not have loads of shoes, but I am proud of the pairs I own. It took a great deal of time, patience, discipline and expense to accommodate my fussy feet.
  • Black sateen trench. This item is machine washable and travels with me everywhere. It’s perfect with jeans and Converse, and takes me straight to a formal function over a cocktail dress at night. Brilliant.
  • Cream trench. I could put this item over pajamas and I’d look fab. It makes a bold statement and I feel uber chic, funky and feminine when I wear it.
  • Specs. I have 2 pairs of cat-eye specs that I swap daily. The one is bulky and fun, and the other is streamlined and sophisticated. My ensembles are naked without my specs (and I couldn’t see without them).
  • Diesel jeans. I duplicated my ink blue, straight-leg jeans because they are fabulous in every way. They can be dressed up or down and worn with most heel heights. They do not bleed, rub or grow. I should have bought a third pair.
  • Suit. I don’t wear my black baby pinstripe pants suit often, but I thoroughly enjoy wearing it when I do. I dress it up in funky ways, which makes all the difference. An Edwardian collared chiffon blouse that’s belted at the waist works beautifully under the jacket when it’s matched with red chunky patent round-toe heels and faux zebra skin clutch.
  • Pearl necklace collection. I collect all sorts of necklaces with pearls in them. Short, long, funky, retro, modern, vintage, fine, chunky, plastic and classic. You name it, I’ve got it. These necklaces complete my look every day.

I hold a special place in my heart for tunics, jackets and handbags, but they didn’t quite make the cut. I’d love to hear your wardrobe favourites. As with the preferred shopping categories, I expect to see a lot of variation in your lists.

______________ ______________ _______
 Preferred shopping categories  It’s interesting that different product categories tickle our fancy to different degrees when we shop. Some of us love to shop for shoes and bags, while others prefer to shop for skirts and dresses. After being in the fashion game for ages, I have concluded that this is a very personal thing, greatly influenced by individual and regional differences.

Here’s my personal list, ordered from best to worst:

• Favourites: jackets, bags, tunics, coats, blousie tops and knitwear
  • Least Favourites: shoes (particularly Summer shoes), bras, skirts, socks and workout wear
I feel the cold quickly, so it is a good thing that jackets and coats are high on my list. On the other hand, a fashion stylist who doesn’t like to shop for shoes is not the norm. I love looking at shoes and dressing my clients in them, but it’s become increasingly frustrating shopping for my own shoes. Fussy feet and fabulous shoes do not go hand in hand.
I’d love to hear your list. I suspect that it will be quite different.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 12:27:15 PM by LadyLionness »

LadyLionness

« Reply #2937 on: August 20, 2012, 12:28:33 PM »
Your wardrobe orphans   I like and wear everything in my wardrobe because it fits and flatters in the very best way (it’s imperative that I practice what I preach!). But there are items that I seldom wear, simply because I like them less than other items. They don’t look bad, they just rank last on my list of favourites.

• Wide-legged jeans: I have two pairs. One in dark denim and one in a pinstripe denim with cuffs. They are dramatic and fun but I’m not as drawn to them as I thought I would be. I prefer the sleekness of skinnies, straight-legs and boot cuts. These silhouettes make me feel extra fabulous, whereas wide-legs don’t. I’m becoming increasingly wary of wide-legged pants.
  • Cocktail rings: I have a super collection of cocktail rings. Both semi-precious stones and pearls. I use to wear a cocktail ring every day, but stopped when I encountered problems with my wrists. My wrists improved and I am now out of the habit. I hope to get my head around this soon.
  • Halter neck dress: I have a graphic black and cream, polka dot, low-waisted halter neck dress that blousons on the bodice and looks smashing. But it has to be 95 degrees plus for me to wear it on its own and it doesn’t look good with a cover-up. I live in Seattle and seldom frequent warm weather places. So this poor old dress decorates my closet between heat waves.
  • Kelly green camisole: I adore the colour, but always seem to find that another colour looks better when I try to integrate it into an outfit. My ensemble tends to look Christmassy when I wear it. Perhaps I’ll find the right companion piece at some point. In the mean time it can keep my other camis company.

What are the least favourite items in your wardrobe and why?

LadyLionness

« Reply #2938 on: August 20, 2012, 12:29:24 PM »
Your wardrobe favourites   I love everything in my wardrobe, but do have favourites. These are the items that make me feel extra special when I put them on. Some of these items are worn daily, whereas others are worn weekly, monthly or a few times a year. They are extremely versatile and I’d really miss them if they were gone.

• My footwear collection. I do not have loads of shoes, but I am proud of the pairs I own. It took a great deal of time, patience, discipline and expense to accommodate my fussy feet.
  • Black sateen trench. This item is machine washable and travels with me everywhere. It’s perfect with jeans and Converse, and takes me straight to a formal function over a cocktail dress at night. Brilliant.
  • Cream trench. I could put this item over pajamas and I’d look fab. It makes a bold statement and I feel uber chic, funky and feminine when I wear it.
  • Specs. I have 2 pairs of cat-eye specs that I swap daily. The one is bulky and fun, and the other is streamlined and sophisticated. My ensembles are naked without my specs (and I couldn’t see without them).
  • Diesel jeans. I duplicated my ink blue, straight-leg jeans because they are fabulous in every way. They can be dressed up or down and worn with most heel heights. They do not bleed, rub or grow. I should have bought a third pair.
  • Suit. I don’t wear my black baby pinstripe pants suit often, but I thoroughly enjoy wearing it when I do. I dress it up in funky ways, which makes all the difference. An Edwardian collared chiffon blouse that’s belted at the waist works beautifully under the jacket when it’s matched with red chunky patent round-toe heels and faux zebra skin clutch.
  • Pearl necklace collection. I collect all sorts of necklaces with pearls in them. Short, long, funky, retro, modern, vintage, fine, chunky, plastic and classic. You name it, I’ve got it. These necklaces complete my look every day.

I hold a special place in my heart for tunics, jackets and handbags, but they didn’t quite make the cut. I’d love to hear your wardrobe favourites. As with the preferred shopping categories, I expect to see a lot of variation in your lists.

LadyLionness

« Reply #2939 on: August 20, 2012, 12:30:44 PM »
Wardrobe golden oldies   Fashion evolves. Our bodies and lifestyles change constantly, and with them the contents of our wardrobe. Updating, replacing and duplicating clothing, footwear and accessories is a way of life. But alongside the items in our wardrobe that will only last for one season, there are others that have lasted a lot longer. Today we pay tribute to these wardrobe golden oldies.

These are the rules:

• The items must be purchased first hand by you, or by someone else for you
  • Thrift store items, vintage pieces and hand-me-downs don’t count
  • Old items and sentimental pieces that you don’t wear don’t count

I’ll go first:

• Diesel denim jacket: It’s 8 years old and I’ve had it completely altered. Now that it looks updated, it’s back in full stylish swing. I am never giving this jacket away. It’s going to end up in someone else’s closet as a vintage piece when I’m 85.
  • Prada handbag: It’s 10 years old and virtually looks new. It’s black, silver studded and the “baguette” style that was all the rage in the 90’s. I used to sport it all the time when it was new because it was my favourite piece back then. Today I have lots of favourites so it comes out less often. It’s still quite the show piece and attracts loads of attention.
  • Chanel handbag: It’s 13 years old and was a gift from a manufacturer during my days as a fashion buyer. It seldom comes out to play. This is not the Chanel bag I’d have personally selected, but it’s a beautiful classic piece that will never date. I hope to use it more as I get older.

Now it’s your turn. What are some of the oldest items in your closet that are still in stylish circulation?

Advertisements