Advertisement

Author Topic: Bible Study - Class meets on Thursday from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM CST.  (Read 134654 times)

LadyLionness

Re: Bible Study - Class meets on Thursday from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM CST.
« Reply #765 on: April 04, 2013, 01:04:27 PM »
Quote from: 2 Corinthians 5:18-21
18All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation . 20We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God.21God made him who had no sin to be sinfor us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

All the aspects related to someone's conversion and newly transformed life in Christ are accomplished by a sovereign God.  Sinners on their own cannot decide to participate in these new realities.  This speaks to the reality that God wills sinful men to be reconciled to Himself.  God has called believers to proclaim the gospel of reconciliation to others.  The concept of service, such as waiting on tables, derives from the Greek word for "ministry."  Literally, God wants Christians to accept the privilege of serving unbelievers by proclaiming a desire to be reconciled.

God by His own will and design used His Son, the only acceptable and perfect sacrifice, as the means to reconcile sinners to Himself.  God initiates the change in the sinner's status in that He brings him from a position of alienation to a state of forgiveness and right relationship with Himself   This again is the essence of the gospel.  The word "world" should not be interpreted in any universalistic sense, which would say that everyone will be saved, or even potentially reconciled.  "World" refers rather to the entire sphere of mankind or humanity, the category of beings to whom God offers reconciliation - people from every ethnic group, without distinction. 

The intrinsic merit of Christ's reconciling death is infinite and the offer is unlimited.  However, actual atonement was made only for those who believe.  The rest of humanity will pay the price personally for their own sin in eternal hell.

This is the heart of the doctrine of justification whereby God declares the repentant sinner righteous and does not count his sins against him because He covers him with the righteousness of Christ the moment he places wholehearted faith in Christ and His sacrificial death. 

As believers present the gospel, God speaks through them and urges unbelieving sinners to come in an attitude of faith and accept the gospel, which means to repent of their sins and believe on Jesus.

Here Paul summarized the heart of the gospel, resolving the mystery and paradox of verses 18-20, and explaining how sinners can be reconciled to God through Jesus Christ.  These 15 Greek words express the doctrines of imputation and substitution like no other single verse. 

Jesus, the sinless Son of God, was treated as if He were a sinner though He was not... and God had Him die as a substitute to pay the penalty for the sins of those who believe in Him.  On the cross, he did not become a sinner, but remained as holy as ever.  He was treated as if He were guilty of all the sins ever committed by all who would ever believe, though He committed none.  The wrath of God was exhausted on Him and the just requirement of God's law met for those for whom He died.

As Christ was not a sinner, but was treated as if He were, so believers who have not yet been made righteous are treated as if they were righteous   he bore their sins so that they could bear His righteousness.  God treated Him as if He committed believers' sins, and treats believers as if they did only the righteous deeds of the sinless Son of God.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 01:29:44 PM by LadyLionness »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

LadyLionness

« Reply #766 on: April 04, 2013, 01:33:48 PM »
Lord,

I am amazed once again at your perfect timing.  How wonderful it is that you take this time and opportunity to show us what it means to be a Christian and how we are truly redeemed by the blood of Christ.  Lord, as I am planting these seeds, I pray that your wisdom and knowledge water these seeds and help them to grow in each and ever person who click on these pages and takes the time to read them and understand them.  Father, I love you and am so grateful that you have called me to be one of your children.

All this I pray in the name of Christ Jesus.  Amen.

LadyLionness

« Reply #767 on: April 05, 2013, 03:36:41 PM »
Question: Can a believer - someone who have been saved by the blood of Christ - still lose their salvation?  If no, what does these two verse mean then? 

New International Version (NIV)
26 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, 27 but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.

King James Version (KJV)
26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

Amplified Bible (AMP)
26 For if we go on deliberately and willingly sinning after once acquiring the knowledge of the Truth, there is no longer any sacrifice left to atone for [our] sins [no further offering to which to look forward].
27 [There is nothing left for us then] but a kind of awful and fearful prospect and expectation of divine judgment and the fury of burning wrath and indignation which will consume those who put themselves in opposition [to God].

Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)
26 For if we deliberately continue to sin after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but only the terrifying prospect of Judgment, of raging fire that will consume the enemies.

Hebrews 10:26-31
The Message (MSG)
26-31 If we give up and turn our backs on all we’ve learned, all we’ve been given, all the truth we now know, we repudiate Christ’s sacrifice and are left on our own to face the Judgment—and a mighty fierce judgment it will be! If the penalty for breaking the law of Moses is physical death, what do you think will happen if you turn on God’s Son, spit on the sacrifice that made you whole, and insult this most gracious Spirit? This is no light matter. God has warned us that he’ll hold us to account and make us pay. He was quite explicit: “Vengeance is mine, and I won’t overlook a thing” and “God will judge his people.” Nobody’s getting by with anything, believe me.

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
Christ or Judgment
26 For if we go on sinning willfully after receivingthe knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a terrifying expectation of judgment and the fury of a fire which will consume the adversaries.

New Century Version (NCV)
26 If we decide to go on sinning after we have learned the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins. 27 There is nothing but fear in waiting for the judgment and the terrible fire that will destroy all those who live against God.

LadyLionness

« Reply #768 on: April 05, 2013, 03:53:50 PM »
At first glance, it looks like people can lose their salvation, but when I am studying the Bible, I like to study it in context instead of just looking at those two verses.

Here is Hebrews 10:26-30 in both the New King James Version and New Century Version:

Hebrews 10:26-39
New King James Version (NKJV)

26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries. 28 Anyone who has rejected Moses’ law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know Him who said, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay, ”says the Lord.  And again, “The Lord will judge His people.”31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

32 But recall the former days in which, after you were illuminated, you endured a great struggle with sufferings: 33 partly while you were made a spectacle both by reproaches and tribulations, and partly while you became companions of those who were so treated; 34 for you had compassion on me[h] in my chains, and joyfully accepted the plundering of your goods, knowing that you have a better and an enduring possession for yourselves in heaven.

35 Therefore do not cast away your confidence, which has great reward. 36 For you have need of endurance, so that after you have done the will of God, you may receive the promise:
37 “For yet a little while,
 And He[j] who is coming will come and will not tarry.
 38 Now the[k] just shall live by faith;
 But if anyone draws back,
 My soul has no pleasure in him.”

39 But we are not of those who draw back to perdition, but of those who believe to the saving of the soul.

Hebrews 10:26-39
New Century Version (NCV)

26 If we decide to go on sinning after we have learned the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins. 27 There is nothing but fear in waiting for the judgment and the terrible fire that will destroy all those who live against God. 28 Anyone who refused to obey the law of Moses was found guilty from the proof given by two or three witnesses. He was put to death without mercy. 29 So what do you think should be done to those who do not respect the Son of God, who look at the blood of the agreement that made them holy as no different from others’ blood, who insult the Spirit of God’s grace? Surely they should have a much worse punishment. 30 We know that God said, “I will punish those who do wrong; I will repay them.”And he also said, “The Lord will judge his people.” 31 It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

32 Remember those days in the past when you first learned the truth. You had a hard struggle with many sufferings, but you continued strong.33 Sometimes you were hurt and attacked before crowds of people, and sometimes you shared with those who were being treated that way.34 You helped the prisoners. You even had joy when all that you owned was taken from you, because you knew you had something better and more lasting.
35 So do not lose the courage you had in the past, which has a great reward. 36 You must hold on, so you can do what God wants and receive what he has promised. 37 For in a very short time,

“The One who is coming will come
     and will not be delayed.
 38 Those who are right with me
     will live by faith.
 But if they turn back with fear,
     I will not be pleased with them.” Habakkuk 2:3–4

39 But we are not those who turn back and are lost. We are people who have faith and are saved.

LadyLionness

« Reply #769 on: April 06, 2013, 07:06:41 PM »
First of all, the book of Hebrews was written primarily to Jewish converts who were familiar with the Old Testament and who were being tempted to revert to Judaism.  The theme of Hebrews is the absolute supremacy and the sufficiency of Jesus Christ as revealer and mediator of God's grace.  All believers now have direct access to God under the new covenant and therefore, may approach the throne of God bodly. 

The book of Hebrews is intensely practical in its application to everyday living.  It is designed to stir the readers into action... and he organized them into the form of 6 warnings.

1.  Warning against drifting from "what we have heard."  (2:1-4)
2.  Warning against disbelieving the "voice" of God.  (3:7-14)
3.  Warning against degenerating from "the elementary teaching about the Christ."  (5:11-6:20)
4.  Warning against despising the "the knowledge of the truth."  (10:26-39)
5.  Warning against devaluing the "the grace of God."  (12:16-17)
6.  Warning against departing from Him "who is speaking."  (12:25-29).

LadyLionness

« Reply #770 on: April 06, 2013, 07:20:40 PM »
This warning passage deals with the sin of apostasy, an intentional falling away, or defection.  Apostates are those who move toward Christ, hear and understand His gospel, and are on the verge of saving belief, but then rebel and turn away.  This warning against apostasy is one of the most serious warnings in all of the Scripture.  Not all of the Hebrews would respond to the gentle invitation of Hebrews 10:19-25.   Some were already beyond response.

19 So, brothers and sisters, we are completely free to enter the Most Holy Place without fear because of the blood of Jesus’ death. 20 We can enter through a new and living way that Jesus opened for us. It leads through the curtain—Christ’s body. 21 And since we have a great priest over God’s house, 22 let us come near to God with a sincere heart and a sure faith, because we have been made free from a guilty conscience, and our bodies have been washed with pure water. 23 Let us hold firmly to the hope that we have confessed, because we can trust God to do what he promised.

24 Let us think about each other and help each other to show love and do good deeds. 25 You should not stay away from the church meetings, as some are doing, but you should meet together and encourage each other. Do this even more as you see the day coming.

LadyLionness

« Reply #771 on: April 06, 2013, 07:23:55 PM »
In Hebrews 10:39, Paul excludes himself and genuine believers from this category.

39 But we are not those who turn back and are lost. We are people who have faith and are saved.

LadyLionness

« Reply #772 on: April 06, 2013, 07:26:40 PM »
The sin here is rejecting Christ deliberately.  These are not isolated acts.  According to the Mosaic legislation, such acts of deliberate, premeditated sin required exclusion from the congregation of Israel and from its worship.  Such sins also excluded the individual from sanctuary in the cities of refuge. 

LadyLionness

« Reply #773 on: April 06, 2013, 07:40:49 PM »

New King James Version (NKJV) 26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,

Judas Iscariot, the disciple who betrayed Jesus, is a good example of someone who had no lack of knowledge, but lacked faith and became the arch-apostate.  The apostate is beyond salvation because he has rejected the only sacrifice that can cleanse him from sin and bring him into God's presence.  To turn away from that sacrifice leaves him with no saving alternative. 

LadyLionness

« Reply #774 on: April 06, 2013, 07:55:36 PM »
Hebrew 10:32-39 gave words of encouragement to counterbalance the preceding grave warning... that the Hebrews' former experiences should stimulate them, the nearness of reward should strength them, and the fear of God's displeasure should prevent them from going back to Judaism.

After being enlightened, they suffered, became offended, and began to fall away... Matthew 13:20 talks about the mustard seeds that fell on rocky places... and how some people make an emotional, superficial comment to salvation in Christ, but it is not real.  They remain interested only until there is a sacrificial price to pay, and then abandon Christ. 

LadyLionness

« Reply #775 on: April 06, 2013, 08:08:47 PM »
Some of the Hebrews were tempted to turn away, but they were encouraged to remain with the New Covenant and put their trust exclusively in Christ... that the proud - who are self-sufficient and who fail to realize the necessity of patient endurance and trust in God - will be rejected if he does not exercise faith.  He will be judged along with the nations.  The opposite of apostasy is faith.  So, the individual who draws back from the knowledge of the gospel and faith will prove his apostasy. 

This reminds me of a few people that I have come across... people who said that they grew up in Christian homes, but are now either atheist or do not believe that God exists.

LadyLionness

« Reply #776 on: April 06, 2013, 08:12:57 PM »
As mentioned earlier, verse 39 assures us that "we" the believers will not be counted among "those" who fall away to destruction.  Apostates will draw back from Christ but there are some who are near to believing who can be pulled "out of the fire."  So, as we can see, Hebrews 10:26-27 is not talking about a Christian who have renounced his belief... but a person who have the full knowledge of Jesus Christ, but still refuse to believe... refused to accept what Christ have done on the cross.  This is a person who is not yet a believer.

BoyRescue

« Reply #777 on: April 27, 2013, 02:16:07 PM »
Hello LL!

You’re doing such an awesome job!! I'm glad you’re being so faithful!  God bless you! :)

Interesting question and topic of discussion about Hebrews 10:26-31.  There’s a lot to breakdown, but let’s start out by listing the scriptures:

"If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, 27 but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.”

There are a couple of words and phrase that I believe are important to study in order to receive the full revelatory picture of this scripture.  The first word I want to focus on is the first word, “if.”  This word indicates a condition which basically means a choice has to be made and as a result of that choice; these are the results of it.  Therefore, this scripture begins by indicating that a choice has to be made in order for these results to apply to you.

A phrase that is important to know is “deliberately keep on.”  The word “deliberate” indicates that it is done on purpose and the word “keep on” means to continuously do.  In putting these words together it means to purposely do continually.  We can understand from this phrase that it means a person who continuous sins on purpose.
The next word is “after” which means that something came first.  What came first?  The “knowledge of truth” came first.  The “knowledge of truth” could refer to many things, but I believe that it refers to the revelation of Jesus because He is the only truth.  In addition, the next phrase helps illuminate this point by stating “no sacrifice for sins is left.”  Now, this phrase troubles me because it is such an astounding statement!  It indicates that NO sacrifice for sins are available NOT even the sacrifice of the blood of Jesus is available!  WOW!  Not even one drop of the blood of Jesus can save them!   That’s astonishing!

Now on to the controversial part of the text, who is this text referring to.  First let’s take note that many scholars believe that the author of this book is the Apostle Paul.  Even if some people disagree, it’s agreeable to agree that the author was at least a born again believer.  For the Bible says in 2 Timothy 3:16 that all scripture is inspired by God.  Now many believe that this text is referring to the non-Christian Jews.  However, I find it hard to believe.  Non-Christians Jews never received the revelation of Jesus as the sacrifice for their sins.   As a result, it means that the sacrifice of Jesus is still available to them.  The only way that it is not available to anyone is if they had already received the sacrifice of Jesus.   In other words, the sacrifice of Jesus would not be available to the believers of Jesus!

There is biblical support and it starts with the word “we.”  The Greek word for "we" is: hēmōn which means our, we, or us and the root word of hēmōn is egō which means I, me, or my.  Now what does this mean you might ask.  If this understanding is true; which it is, then Apostle Paul is really saying:  you and I or we.  The startling fact is that Apostle Paul, a born again, spirit-filled believer is including himself in this warning!  He does so because he was indicating that he was also not exempt from this warning. 

This is why I believe a believer can lose their salvation based upon this scripture.  I believe it is fair enough to make a biblical conclusion that if a born again, spirit filled believer like Apostle Paul CHOOSES to deliberately keep on sinning after receiving the revelation knowledge of truth [Jesus] then no more sacrifices are left [not even Jesus], but a only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God [hell].

LadyLionness

« Reply #778 on: May 09, 2013, 12:31:34 PM »
A bit late, and been missing in action lately.  My kids are finally done with all their activity so hopefully I will be here more consistently again.

LadyLionness

« Reply #779 on: May 09, 2013, 12:33:31 PM »
Hi, BoyRescue.  Good to see  you back.

Dear Lord,

Thank you so much for all that you have done, all the people you have watched over and taken care of.  Father, I pray that you will be with us today as we get ready to study your Word.  Father, help us to understand the scriptures and give us your wisdom and knowledge.  All this I pray in the name of my Lord and Savior, Christ Jesus. 

Amen.

Advertisements