Advertisement

Author Topic: pick a card, any card  (Read 1879 times)

bruisedknee

pick a card, any card
« on: March 16, 2015, 11:23:25 AM »
i ordered a 750ti this morning, and i hope i won't regret it

my choices came down to the 750ti, the 260x, the 265, and the 270

the 265 and 270 were the obvious winners in the performance department, but in the end, it came down to one question:

"what are my needs, and which card fulfills them without breaking my bank"

i don't play Crysis, i don't play BF4, i don't play all the other graphic-intensive games that a lot of the websites used as benchmarks
i play stuff like the new Civs, Sims 4, the occasional game of Borderlands TPS, etc

so in the end, it made more sense to just spend only as much as i needed

the lower power consumption on the 750ti was just a bonus
---------------------
anyone with one of the above-mentioned cards wanna chime in?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

bruisedknee

Re: pick a card, any card
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 09:24:35 AM »
no card..

But i gotta ask.

Why sims 4 and civ beyond earth?

Beyond earth doesn't feel very polished atm. hope the expansion makes it feel better.
s4 while I love alot of the new aspects.. it feels like a stepback with how you are basically stuck at home. no more visiting the the open world.

I love how the units in BE evolve depending on what you pick.
I love the new atmosphere and how challenging it can be.  But the enemy leaders feel so bland in this one. I love the web over the tree.  but it doesn't feel very polished right now.

sims 4..
Civ BE because i've played (and loved) all the Civs since the original - but i do agree that it feels like something is missing, i don't usually get the "just one more turn" itch when i play it

as for S4, way better engine (lag free baby!), but i also miss having a wide open world to explore, and it feels a bit more simplified, maybe even dumbed down a bit? hopefully future expansions will fix one/some of those issues

bruisedknee

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 01:45:37 PM »
update: got the card today

the good: piece of cake to slap it in, install drivers, done in 10min
the bad: i got a restart while playing Farmville 2, which i hadn't gotten since i reformatted - i had hoped it wasn't a PSU issue, but it might be
the ugly: TBA

*luckily, i bought the card bundled with a 600w PSU from EVGA, just in case it was my PSU causing restarts - i'll swap it out later (or sometime this weekend if i'm feeling lazy) and see if the restarts can be eliminated - if not, at least i'll know it's not the PSU

minorcharacter

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 02:00:23 PM »
There's a site somewhere to help you calculate the amount of watts you need.  My rig required about 660 something but I decided to play it safe and just get the 750w battery.  Allows for upgrade.

r3b1rth

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 11:11:10 PM »
Good choice for the money. I bought one for my little brother and the same thing for my bf. It runs everything very well. I've had it for 5 months now and no issues.

I'm planning on buying a gtx 980 when I build my computer in the winter time.

bruisedknee

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 07:28:37 PM »
Good choice for the money. I bought one for my little brother and the same thing for my bf. It runs everything very well. I've had it for 5 months now and no issues.

I'm planning on buying a gtx 980 when I build my computer in the winter time.

everything has been smooth - it's quiet, requires no extra power cable from PSU, runs my type of games (rpg, strat) - no complaints so far

i switched out my PSU when i added the card in, and minus that one reboot, it's working well, so i'm guessing i had a bad PSU (i will never buy from Microcenter again)

Advertisements