Advertisement

Author Topic: ‘She Is My Mother … She Raised Me’  (Read 1064 times)

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
  • Still a little boy running free in Laos
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
‘She Is My Mother … She Raised Me’
« on: March 31, 2022, 05:56:46 PM »
What do you guys think about this story?

‘She Is My Mother … She Raised Me’: Judge Rules Woman Who Abducted Newborn and Raised Her as Her Own Will Not Have Sentence Reduced Despite Desperate Plea from Victim

https://news.yahoo.com/she-mother-she-raised-judge-123000597.html

A Florida judge has rejected Gloria Williams’ request to cut her time in prison for kidnapping a baby from a Florida hospital, even though the girl, now 23, has advocated on her behalf.

Williams accepted a plea deal in 2018 for taking Kamiyah Mobley from her mother at UF Health Jacksonville maternity ward in 1998. She asked a judge in December to allow her to serve half of her sentence on probation because of good behavior and personal development.

Mobley told the judge she “wholeheartedly” supports Williams and she needs her “mother home.”

Gloria Williams asked a Duval County judge to reduce her 18-year sentence for kidnapping a baby girl and raising her as her own. (First Coast News Screenshot)
Williams said she takes responsibility for her actions and has become a better person during the four years she’s spent in prison so far.

“There are many things I have learned since coming to the Department of Corrections, but the overall lesson of my incarceration has been one of accountability,” she wrote in a letter to Duval County Circuit Judge Marianne Aho. “I know and understand now that there is a ripple effect, that the consequences of my actions are never mine to suffer alone.”

While Aho ruled that Williams filed the motion too late, she maintained that even if it was on time, she “did not find a basis to undo the original sentencing judges’ decision.”

Williams posed as a nurse and took Mobley away from her mother five hours after she was born.

As for her state of mind at the time of the kidnapping, Williams previously told the court that she “had just suffered a devastating miscarriage and was exhibiting symptoms conducive to postpartum depression, as well as experiencing extreme mental and emotional disturbance. At the time she took the child, she was not in her right state of mind.”

She renamed the girl Alexis Manigo and moved to South Carolina, where she raised Mobley until she was found in 2017.

Mobley, who was 18 at the time, reportedly learned about her abduction a year and a half before Williams’ arrest but did not go to the authorities and tried to delay it. The now 23-year-old woman has stayed in contact with her kidnapper and still considers Williams her “mom.” Mobley told Aho she had a “well-rounded life” with Williams.

“I would like to make it very clear that she is my mother,” Mobley wrote in the letter to the judge. “She raised me, and not only provided for my needs, but she loved me unconditionall y.”

“I understand none of this modifies the truth of the past, nor does it justify my mom’s actions in any way,” she continued.

“However, at the end of the day, I love my mother and I wholeheartedly support her! I ask the court’s grace and mercy, as I need my mother home.”

Williams told the judge she has completed character development and faith programs and wants to become a certified peer facilitator. She asked Aho to allow her to serve nine years in prison and the other nine on probation.

In the meantime, Williams said she has kept her distance from Mobley out of respect for her biological family.

Kamiyah Mobley’s attachment to her abductor has caused a strain in her relationship with her biological mother, Shanara Mobley, who once asked Kamiyah to choose between the two women. Recent social media posts show the pair has worked on repairing their relationship, according to First Coast News.

“What I see happening is Kamiyah is bringing her biological family to South Carolina to introduce them and to spend time with my mother (her nana), her sisters, nieces and nephews,” Williams wrote in her motion. “Everyone is coming together to give Kamiyah the best of both worlds and to bring her life into fulfillment.”

Like this post: 0
I take refuge in the Buddha.
I take refuge in the dharma.
I take refuge in the sangha.

Theravada

Adverstisement

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
    • View Profile
Re: ‘She Is My Mother … She Raised Me’
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 07:01:39 PM »
Two women came before King Solomon and claimed the same child as their respective own.

Not knowing whom to believe, Solomon ordered his guards to take the sword and part the child in half so these women each would get her equal share. Then both would be happy.

Woman 1 said to go ahead and do that.

Woman 2 said not to do that and to give the child to Woman 1 and that she now didn’t want the child anymore.

King Solomon finally ordered the guards to give the child to Woman 2, “for she is its real mother.”

That judge Aho knows about King Solomon’s decision.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1333
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 09:19:54 PM »
Do the crime, do the time...

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
  • Still a little boy running free in Laos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 09:25:31 PM »
What’s your feeling on the daughter for wanting to be with the kidnapper still?

I take refuge in the Buddha.
I take refuge in the dharma.
I take refuge in the sangha.

Theravada

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2022, 10:21:28 PM »
King Solomon didn't let the infant choose which mother it wanted; rather, he just gave the child to the rightful mother after finding out who cared more for the child.

Judge Aho did that also, because he must have known what King Solomon would have done.

Now, this Mobley child is too innocent. She was deprived of her true parenthood for 19 years or so and the kidnapper is all she has come to know. So, for the time being, she would feel a connection
to the kidnapper. (I use kidnapper instead of abductor like the article uses because my ego tells me I know the difference between the two words better than that writer. A kidnapper is one who  has taken a child--napping a kid; an abductor is one who takes a person for marriage. Today, people don't quite make the distinction clear. But that's what it is in legal terms.)

Anyway, that Mobley girl just doesn't know the truth yet. Her connections with her biological mother will grow, she'll feel more full, and she will realize how much she has been distanced from her true mother by the kidnapper. The kidnapper has deprived her of her true identity, her true parents, her true family, her true life. She might not forgive the kidnapper one day and her distance will grow away from the kidnapper.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 10:37:17 PM by Reporter »

"...

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2022, 10:26:55 PM »

That's her call and she can wait til the kidnapper does her time if she wants.

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2022, 10:28:46 PM »
Too long
I didn’t read

;D ;D

God did not created man...man created god

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2022, 10:39:19 PM »
More like can't read (per the neutral PH members)... ;D

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2022, 10:39:47 PM »
Kidnapper kidnapped a child when the child was only 5 hours old; 19 years later, kidnapper was arrested and sentenced to 18 years in jail; child has been reunited with true mother. But child keeps
telling the court to release the kidnapper because child takes that kidnapper to be her mother who actually cared and loved her for those 19 years.

Court isn't buying that.

True mother is having a hard time getting along with child but therapy is in place for them to reunite.

Too long
I didn’t read

;D ;D

"...

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2022, 10:55:48 PM »
Kidnapper kidnapped a child when the child was only 5 hours old; 19 years later, kidnapper was arrested and sentenced to 18 years in jail; child has been reunited with true mother. But child keeps
telling the court to release the kidnapper because child takes that kidnapper to be her mother who actually cared and loved her for those 19 years.

Court isn't buying that.

True mother is having a hard time getting along with child but therapy is in place for them to reunite.

Ty

We not trying to read a 5 page ESSAY here

;D ;D ;D

This is a tough one
I will let the jury decide

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2022, 05:01:48 AM »
Jury?

They already decided her guilt. Now, it’s up to Aho to keep her away from taking that child into her adulthood.  You can tell she’ll keep intervening because now she has the heart of the child, too. The child is really being cut in half like what King Solomon told his guards to do.  What would the real mother feel like?

"...

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +399
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2022, 07:46:02 AM »
In extreme case, some women will kill their own child just to go be with another man.

Not every person will have a maternal/paternal instinct/mentality. 

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2022, 08:28:50 AM »
It's tough.  The kidnapper is the only mother she ever knew and probably never knew she was kidnapped until recently so I understand her position.  The kidnapper knew and didn't come forward.  If she did, things would be different for everyone.  But still, she gave the girl a wonderful upbringing so that's got to count for something.  I feel for the pain of the biological mother though.  I think if we look at the best interest of the child, don't send anyone to jail and allow both mothers to be mother to the child so she has more love and supports.  That's a good thing. 

But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2022, 10:10:57 AM »
Jury?

They already decided her guilt. Now, it’s up to Aho to keep her away from taking that child into her adulthood.  You can tell she’ll keep intervening because now she has the heart of the child, too. The child is really being cut in half like what King Solomon told his guards to do.  What would the real mother feel like?

Its a settle case then
There no need to debate

NEXT

;D ;D ;D

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2022, 03:45:32 PM »
Jury?

LOL...

Even after Reporter broke it down into the simplest form, THAT GUY still "don't get it".. ;D ;D ;D

Advertisements