Advertisement

Author Topic: bass fishing  (Read 485842 times)

blablablablabla

Re: bass fishing
« Reply #1695 on: January 12, 2011, 01:32:41 PM »
I got the NRX 873. It is 7' 3", med-hvy fast action, 1/4-3/4oz lure weight. Currently I have a Steez 103SHA on it with 30lb power-pro. I like to use this rod with a 1/4oz gamakastu weighted swimbait hook and 5" Hardnose rhino swimshad. I use the Rhino Hardnose b/c I can catch 20+ fish out of the milfoil, grass and weeds and still have my lure in one piece -vs- money-minnow, berkley swimshads or any other. These things will outlast all other soft plastic swimbaits. Fish don't care how it swims, as long as it mimics so no point of paying $9 for 3 or 4 yum and berkley when you can pay $5 for 5 hardnose. Anyway, the extra 3" tip helps me cast this lure an extra 20 + feet vs my other 843c GLX which I sold to another fishermen on TCHB. Why does it matter? Because when fish are in shallow water it is easy to disturbed them, once you disturbed them your chances of catching them is over! So a longer cast will help you catch fish when when they are in the shallow. When i was inexperienced, I used to cast short distance into milfoil edges, grass, trees, structures and had a hard time catching anything, it was even harder when the water is like glass and calm. I basically disturbed them before I even had a chance. When fishes are in 2-4FOW, I like to cast 35 + yards out and keep my lure inches under top surface as I retrieve back, I can literally see the fish creating a wake towards the lure and then explosion!

Total rod & reel weight. NRX + 103SHA: 8.9oz
Long rod w/soft tip helped cast lighter lures further. G Loomis rods had always been great about this. Backbone to hull fish out of the grass is amazing for the med-hvy NRX. They don't lie when they say 20% stronger and 15% lighter. Its well balanced. I can fish all day with this rod and not feel a thing at the end of the day. The wrapping looks more stronger. And the smaller hybrid REC and guides is unique, reduced weight and felt stronger when trying to bend it off. Unfortunately, due to winterizing the boat early cold season this year I haven't had as much time fishing the NRX rod as I would like to.

I don't like fishing all day with heavy rods so if you're like me, you will like what you pay for. My go to rods for fishing all day are 6' 8" and 7' 1". I haven't fished enough of the latest rods or other brands to compare the NRX to. I will only compare to those I used, St. Croix rods, Shimano rods, Daiwa rods, carrot sticks, fenwick, abu garcia and none are close to the NRX when it comes to lightweight and performance. However, they will all catch fish and all will break when your wife/gf slams the door on it.

A lot of guys like the Daiwa Steez rods. I don't, they are too stiff for me. For me, it takes more effort to cast lures. Loomis vs Daiwa, both 7', both med-hvy, both daiwa steez 103sha reels, both 40lb braided power pro and both using 3/8oz jig&pig both fishing same weather condition.

Overhead casting: If I overcast with the Daiwa rod, I will have to swing harder and release the line earlier with control b/c there's not flex to the tip, if I don't then BIRDNEST. For the Loomis, it has a softer tip so I don't have to put as much force and that reduces the chance of birdnest.

Side casting: Now casting from the side. With the Daiwa rod, I will need to put some effort in both my wrist and elbow. With Loomis, very little effort on the elbow and mostly wrist motion will do the job.

Hauling fish out of the grass: On the same spec rods, this is when the Daiwa has the advantage. If you're like me, you will have a dozen + rods and will not use a med-hvy rod for heavy grass and weeds.

A friend of mine has the Daiwa Steez rods, he loses his upper tip rings all the time.

good info

:)

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Photocycle

« Reply #1696 on: January 17, 2011, 06:05:51 PM »
So I picked up a Humminbird 798c SI for the bow... the 787c2 will be up for sale if you know anyone that's interested. Check online to see how much these units are selling for (used/good condition) and make me an offer.

Thanks!

papa

« Reply #1697 on: January 20, 2011, 01:02:12 PM »
what is a hummingbird? sounds like an ornament that attaches to the front of the boat like how cars had.

the way you guys are naming things, sounds like model numbers. i don't have the slightest clue.

Photocycle

« Reply #1698 on: January 20, 2011, 01:55:53 PM »
what is a hummingbird? sounds like an ornament that attaches to the front of the boat like how cars had.

the way you guys are naming things, sounds like model numbers. i don't have the slightest clue.

Humminbird are fish finders/chart plotters (Marine GPS navigation)...

blablablablabla

« Reply #1699 on: January 20, 2011, 03:14:26 PM »
 O0

So anyone adding a PowerPole or Talon?   :)

« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 03:19:30 PM by blablablablabla »

bASS_BLASTER

« Reply #1700 on: January 20, 2011, 03:56:52 PM »
O0

So anyone adding a PowerPole or Talon?   :)

I look at both the power pole and talon. I don't have room on my transom or jackplate. Sucks!

papa

« Reply #1701 on: January 20, 2011, 04:05:02 PM »
what's the purpose for them?

blablablablabla

« Reply #1702 on: January 20, 2011, 04:26:13 PM »
what's the purpose for them?

No real purpose just to look cool and throw money away, thats all.   O0

blablablablabla

« Reply #1703 on: January 20, 2011, 04:27:17 PM »
I look at both the power pole and talon. I don't have room on my transom or jackplate. Sucks!

ain't nothn a bit of duct tape, super glue, jb weld and a great imagination can't fix.  O0

papa

« Reply #1704 on: January 20, 2011, 04:37:44 PM »
after looking it up, i have to comment..... wouldn't you save way more money by just dropping a regular anchor. it does the same thing.

Photocycle

« Reply #1705 on: January 20, 2011, 05:34:00 PM »
after looking it up, i have to comment..... wouldn't you save way more money by just dropping a regular anchor. it does the same thing.

An anchor would do the same thing yep... but less convenient and a lot slower to deploy and retrieve.

I wouldn't mind having a Talon or two.. some day... some day when I start winning tournaments that will fund it.

xtcxyooj

« Reply #1706 on: January 20, 2011, 06:29:59 PM »
papa is learning quick....

those side image, are they really as impressive as they say they are to those of you who have it?

papa

« Reply #1707 on: January 20, 2011, 08:37:06 PM »
Google does wonders.

Photocycle

« Reply #1708 on: January 20, 2011, 11:02:14 PM »
papa is learning quick....

those side image, are they really as impressive as they say they are to those of you who have it?

Side image is an awesome tool as long as you have the time and patience to learn how to use it. I get too inpatient and just want to fish most of the time, so idling around and looking for structure/cover is something I want to work some more this year.

Some of the stuff I've scanned on St. Croix:

A bunch of fish here:

blablablablabla

« Reply #1709 on: January 21, 2011, 07:26:35 AM »
Photo stop showing them whitebass spots.  ;D  O0

Advertisements