Advertisement

Author Topic: bass fishing  (Read 485805 times)

bASS_BLASTER

Re: bass fishing
« Reply #1725 on: January 21, 2011, 10:43:27 AM »
Haven't seen any allisons in the tournies I've fished...  ???

Where are you from? WI?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Photocycle

« Reply #1726 on: January 21, 2011, 10:56:39 AM »

Where are you from? WI?

No, here in MN... I'm a fan of Allison boats. Considered one a few years ago but it was beyond my $5000 budget lol. How do you like your allison? How's the speed? how's the fishing platform?

Come fish with HBC this spring. We're all average fishermen. No KVD's in our club (except Rick and his bro) but that's about it... LOL.

Photocycle

« Reply #1727 on: January 21, 2011, 10:57:14 AM »
thought i read he said he fished a few hbc tournaments. i would assume that he's in mn or close enough.

Papa, you coming out to fish this year?

bASS_BLASTER

« Reply #1728 on: January 21, 2011, 12:58:40 PM »
No, here in MN... I'm a fan of Allison boats. Considered one a few years ago but it was beyond my $5000 budget lol. How do you like your allison? How's the speed? how's the fishing platform?

Come fish with HBC this spring. We're all average fishermen. No KVD's in our club (except Rick and his bro) but that's about it... LOL.

I fished with HBC a few times. I just don't think you remember me. I had an 08' white Alumacraft w/75 Yamaha. For years I been drooling for XB21 2+2 and w/the Alumacraft, I had a buyers remorse every single day. I considered the Z21 amongst many others but still that Allison comes to mind. I sold my alumacraft last summer hoping to pick up an Allison in a few years but my supporting wife bought the Allison for my birthday last summer. I really like the boat! Lots of people say bad things about it but has never rode in one. The ride is ultra smooth b/c you're mostly in the air and very little boat touches the water. At 21' 2" and a sharp keel design, it handles rough water easily.

If you're looking into Allisons and you're an avid fishermen. Only look at the XB21 Bassport Pro Elite or 2+2. All the other models do not have good fishing platforms--too narrow and too light. If anyone is looking into these boats and want a test ride. Let me know...

1) Patent designed Hull and patent skid planer puts the boat on pad even at 20mph. This makes the boat very fuel efficient. Its only has a 30gal fuel tank but will last me several outings. With a 200 mile range at cruising speeds.
2) 4 seats makes it family friendly.
3) Love the 5 gal bucket for trash.
4) More storage room than any bass boat in its class
5) Total length 23' 6" w/swing tongue fits in most average garage perfectly w/o any angling.
..There are lots to like about this boat.

DISLIKES:
1) Front deck is a little narrow than your conventional bassboats. (Of course, with speed and performance, come some sacrafices)
2) Price

« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 03:07:59 PM by bASS_BLASTER »

Photocycle

« Reply #1729 on: January 21, 2011, 01:31:31 PM »
^ah sweet. come back out... I remember a few guys that had alumacrafts.

My reason for wanting an Allison a few years back was because I would get the best of both worlds - having space for 4-5 people and having the platform of a bass boat plus performance. Prices for them were sky high and they were hard to find. The price for used ones could almost buy you a new ranger, skeeter, triton, etc.

Since I mainly fish now, I think I would prefer the wider platforms of your skeeters and rangers (z520, z521)... The other thing I considered was (maintenance) cost and availability of parts - it's a lot easier to find parts for the common big name boats.

The only negative thing I hear about allisons and Bullets are that due to them being so light, they get poor performance in rough waters. Have you tested your Allison out in 2-3+ footers?

Allisons are still awesome boats nonetheless. You can take me for a ride this summer.  O0

papa

« Reply #1730 on: January 21, 2011, 02:19:58 PM »
Papa, you coming out to fish this year?
i've never fished other than sit on the bank and watch the kids. but i'm researching it just to understand it.

bASS_BLASTER

« Reply #1731 on: January 21, 2011, 02:20:24 PM »
^ah sweet. come back out... I remember a few guys that had alumacrafts.

My reason for wanting an Allison a few years back was because I would get the best of both worlds - having space for 4-5 people and having the platform of a bass boat plus performance. Prices for them were sky high and they were hard to find. The price for used ones could almost buy you a new ranger, skeeter, triton, etc.

Since I mainly fish now, I think I would prefer the wider platforms of your skeeters and rangers (z520, z521)... The other thing I considered was (maintenance) cost and availability of parts - it's a lot easier to find parts for the common big name boats.

The only negative thing I hear about allisons and Bullets are that due to them being so light, they get poor performance in rough waters. Have you tested your Allison out in 2-3+ footers?

Allisons are still awesome boats nonetheless. You can take me for a ride this summer.  O0

Having a huge platform is a plus. And that is what Allisons lack. (Performance boats will have smaller/narrower decks) The stories you hear are somewhat true. Bullets weigh 900-1100lbs. Allisons have many models, the SUB, XR(drags boats), XB21 Bassport, the XB2002 and XB2003 are bassboats weighing at 800-900lbs and these boats suck arse in rough water because of their weight and 88" beam. When people hear Allison bassboat, they automatically refer to these two models. Allison the elite bassboat models XB21's. They have a 93" beam and weigh apx 1500lbs dryweight. Fill up the tank, throw in some gears and add a two guys and you're looking at 2100lbs + or -. That makes a perfectly balanced boat.

Anyway, 2-3 chops are not problem. Once you get on pad and that long sharp keel slices and breaks wake like butter. I'm not going to lie and say it does great with 4-5 choppers b/c anyone out fishing on 4-5 choppers in a bass boat needs serious help.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 02:24:03 PM by bASS_BLASTER »

bASS_BLASTER

« Reply #1732 on: January 21, 2011, 02:36:27 PM »
btw, i fished last year w/HBC on green lake. That day was horrendous! The winds was awful, creating 2ft-3ft waves with white caps. I ran across the lake like a Somalian with a lunch ticket with no prob.

Gym -E- Lamm

« Reply #1733 on: January 21, 2011, 02:42:28 PM »
btw, i fished last year w/HBC on green lake. That day was horrendous! The winds was awful, creating 2ft-3ft waves with white caps. I ran across the lake like a Somalian with a lunch ticket with no prob.

The Tonka Classic for HBC was worse...we hit a wave on the side and I got freaking drenched in a 20ft bass boat...I bet them waves were good 4 - 5 footers

bASS_BLASTER

« Reply #1734 on: January 21, 2011, 02:49:58 PM »
The Tonka Classic for HBC was worse...we hit a wave on the side and I got freaking drenched in a 20ft bass boat...I bet them waves were good 4 - 5 footers

I didn't fish the Classic but I remember the J4th was bad too. Even with my Deep V then, I still got pounded like black on white.

papa

« Reply #1735 on: January 21, 2011, 03:09:48 PM »
with the j4 tournament usually on the st. croix and it being a big water that can get 2-3ft waves. wouldn't it be wise for the tournament directors to limit boats to 16ft minimum for safety reasons. by the way you guys are talking, it's already a chore for 20-21ft bass boats in those waves already, i can't imagine a small 12-14ft aluminum braving those.

bASS_BLASTER

« Reply #1736 on: January 21, 2011, 03:19:03 PM »
with the j4 tournament usually on the st. croix and it being a big water that can get 2-3ft waves. wouldn't it be wise for the tournament directors to limit boats to 16ft minimum for safety reasons. by the way you guys are talking, it's already a chore for 20-21ft bass boats in those waves already, i can't imagine a small 12-14ft aluminum braving those.

One would think but its up to the angler. If I'm fishing out of a 12' boat amongst giants (not bassboats but the cruisers and yachts on the St Croix) I will probably not fish.

Gym -E- Lamm

« Reply #1737 on: January 21, 2011, 03:20:20 PM »
One would think but its up to the angler. If I'm fishing out of a 12' boat amongst giants (not bassboats but the cruisers and yachts on the St Croix) I will probably not fish.

Which is usually the case..I haven't seen a 12 - 14 ft boat in any july 4th tourney..

bASS_BLASTER

« Reply #1738 on: January 21, 2011, 03:25:37 PM »
Which is usually the case..I haven't seen a 12 - 14 ft boat in any july 4th tourney..

I could be wrong but I've seen a 14ft. (Refer to Neng's youtube video)

I had a 16.5 and I didn't like it one bit when cruisers and other boats creating wakes.

Photocycle

« Reply #1739 on: January 21, 2011, 03:28:48 PM »

LOL I remember that 1st day of the Tonka classic... it was pretty crazy, my bro and I flew straight through everything -- we were expecting more boats to show up to the other side of tonka but to our surprise we were the only one fishing our bays... it some how paid off as we landed 20lbs that first day hehehe.

Advertisements