Advertisement

Author Topic: bass fishing  (Read 485812 times)

Tracker

Re: bass fishing
« Reply #1875 on: April 18, 2011, 11:07:35 AM »

No launch sites were open. I paid $15 to launch in that private launch on Hudson, just before you enter W. I94 Bridge. Careful there, many debris and ramp is partially mud/grass.

Thanks!!  I know that they've been saying that the river's full of debris.  If I do go, don't think that I'm going to be full throttling it!!  Is it the launch next to the bait shop?  And where were those slabs biting at if you don't mind me asking.   :) :) :)

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

bASS_BLASTER

« Reply #1876 on: April 18, 2011, 11:14:01 AM »
Thanks!!  I know that they've been saying that the river's full of debris.  If I do go, don't think that I'm going to be full throttling it!!  Is it the launch next to the bait shop?  And where were those slabs biting at if you don't mind me asking.   :) :) :)

Those slabs are a hit and miss and we caught them everywhere between I94 bridge and Still water power plant. They are holding onto any structure right now. Can't go WOT anyway.

Tracker

« Reply #1877 on: April 18, 2011, 01:57:24 PM »
Those slabs are a hit and miss and we caught them everywhere between I94 bridge and Still water power plant. They are holding onto any structure right now. Can't go WOT anyway.

Thanks!!  Will give it a try this week.   O0 O0 O0

Photocycle

« Reply #1878 on: April 18, 2011, 07:13:25 PM »
Alrighty, the boat is finally ready... cleaned, vacuumed, scrubbed, soaped, wiped, rinsed! I haven't done anything to the motor yet... each year I usually change lower unit oil and put in new spark plugs... kinda want to say fudge it this year and just hit the lakes. What do ya'll think? yay or nay?  >:D

She fired right up when I hooked her up to the water hose... can't wait to hit the lakes.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 07:15:26 PM by Photocycle »

blablablablabla

« Reply #1879 on: April 19, 2011, 06:47:59 AM »
When was the last time you changed plugs?  Plugs for that motor is way cheaper than mine so I'd say change it.  (10 bucks per plug >:( DFI plugs are cheaper) If you don't change it, take em out and check them for any inconsistencie s.   Lower unit oil, if you changed it last year (winterize) I'd say leave it.  So I guess your suppose to replace the gaskets with each drain/fill of the LU.  That was news to me this year.  Other than that, I think it would be a good idea for a compression test.  You don't want to be flying down the river and pop goes the weasel like me.  O0

Hit the river yesterday, boat ran good with a super dinged prop.  55 up and down the Croix, chased rough fish ended up catching a few walleye  O0

Let the good times roll!!!!!!   O0

« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 06:54:27 AM by blablablablabla »

Photocycle

« Reply #1880 on: April 19, 2011, 07:59:15 AM »
Last time I changed the plugs and lower unit oil was last spring.  :)

Guess I'll make an effort to look at the lower unit oil later.  :-[

How do I do a compression test? Do I need to bring it to the shop for that?

(Awesome job on rough fish and walleye hehe)

blablablablabla

« Reply #1881 on: April 19, 2011, 08:09:45 AM »
no shop needed for compression test.  Its just like a car.......

take plug out, put compression tester, crank for numbers.  Number should all be within 10%........  If you have low compression in one cylinder, get it checked out or risk pop'n it on the water.   O0  

Dude, you should change out your LU oil than.....  Hope there no water in there, it freezes and bam goes your LU.  But that's what insurance is for.  O0

Photocycle

« Reply #1882 on: April 19, 2011, 08:16:33 AM »
no shop needed for compression test.  Its just like a car.......

take plug out, put compression tester, crank for numbers.  Number should all be within 10%........  If you have low compression in one cylinder, get it checked out or risk pop'n it on the water.   O0 

Dude, you should change out your LU oil than.....  Hope there no water in there, it freezes and bam goes your LU.  But that's what insurance is for.  O0

You don't have a compression tester handy do you? lol.... i'll check around to see if anyone nearby has one. I'll change out the LU oil this week... just need to see if anyone has the drain plug washer handy.

blablablablabla

« Reply #1883 on: April 19, 2011, 08:54:27 AM »
I think you can rent one from them auto parts stores.   O0

Photocycle

« Reply #1884 on: April 19, 2011, 10:18:55 AM »
I think you can rent one from them auto parts stores.   O0

Ok.

So excited to get out... i just wish this week wasn't so cold and snowy.

bASS_BLASTER

« Reply #1885 on: April 19, 2011, 01:08:27 PM »
I changed all my liquids before winterizing so all I did was just add gas and fish. If its been a while since you changed your plugs, I say do it. Unless you can walk on water to get help when your boat is dead then I guess its okay.

Such disappointment with this cold front. The fish are all confused, they come up, then back they go. Its ok, only a couple more weeks until people flock the docks and the destroy the croix, zig-zagging, chasing whitebass and a few poaching walleyes. Yes, sad but true. My brother was shore fishing the croix last week and some Hmong peeps had a walleye on a yellow stringer. WTH? I think we need to start tipping and utilize the DNR tip line, even if its our own kind. The law is the law and they're not going to learn if we let them slide. 

blablablablabla

« Reply #1886 on: April 19, 2011, 01:14:42 PM »
I changed all my liquids before winterizing so all I did was just add gas and fish. If its been a while since you changed your plugs, I say do it. Unless you can walk on water to get help when your boat is dead then I guess its okay.

Such disappointment with this cold front. The fish are all confused, they come up, then back they go. Its ok, only a couple more weeks until people flock the docks and the destroy the croix, zig-zagging, chasing whitebass and a few poaching walleyes. Yes, sad but true. My brother was shore fishing the croix last week and some Hmong peeps had a walleye on a yellow stringer. WTH? I think we need to start tipping and utilize the DNR tip line, even if its our own kind. The law is the law and they're not going to learn if we let them slide.  

I would call TIP on my fellow slant eye  O0

bASS_BLASTER

« Reply #1887 on: April 19, 2011, 01:22:20 PM »
I would call TIP on my fellow slant eye  O0

I hate my slant eye fellows who either pretend they don't know the law or don't care about it and let us carry the problem with them.

Blah, which river are you fishing? Croix? The old Man R.? Where did you launch b/c I do not want to pay another $15 to launch my boat and park off the highway.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 01:24:14 PM by bASS_BLASTER »

blablablablabla

« Reply #1888 on: April 19, 2011, 02:33:39 PM »
I don't hate them, I just dislike a few of them.  (for example: the two guys (one fat dude and one skinny dude) at the power plant with them big ass rods, big ass trebles and 5oz weights)  If I see them doing that this year, Ima call TIP.   O0

There are a few launches North of Stillwater.  But as I say, use them at your own risk.  They aren't the greatest and some have chunk rock. Also a word of caution, its skinny water up that way.  Pucker up and full trim it, throw that roostertail boys!  

If you love your rig or don't have a insurance policy than i'd probably say don't use them.    O0

« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 02:35:28 PM by blablablablabla »

bASS_BLASTER

« Reply #1889 on: April 19, 2011, 02:55:46 PM »
Boat insurance is so darn cheap, I don't see why anyone would not get it. I got insurance but the thrill of WOT is not worth the hassle and the wait it may bring with rocks and timbers in skinny water.

btw, I had bad battery. I don't understand why the dealer put a Deep Cycle, 505 Crank Amp. On Sunday, at the dock, she failed to fire up. Waited until 8am, went to Fleet Farm and got an AGM 750 Crank Amp battery. The thing is a beast, weighs a load though.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 03:17:47 PM by bASS_BLASTER »

Advertisements