Advertisement

Author Topic: bass fishing  (Read 485855 times)

bumzc

Re: bass fishing
« Reply #3075 on: August 08, 2011, 11:45:38 AM »
My first rule is.. when your bait/lure feels different or weird.. SET the HOOK

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

DeceiversChick

« Reply #3076 on: August 08, 2011, 12:02:58 PM »
My first rule is.. when your bait/lure feels different or weird.. SET the HOOK

That's what the older brother said but the bf and I couldn't do it. LOL

I guess I need to youtube this.

q

« Reply #3077 on: August 08, 2011, 12:06:03 PM »
I'm not trying to single out the ladies, but I see few ladies set the hook. Instead, when the line tightened, they just raise the rod and reel. Now that's not gonna keep your fish on the hook. If the problem is the fish coming off while you're reeling, most likely than not you ain't setting the hook hard enough. Now setting the hook hard doesn't mean pulling your rod back with power, it means how fast or quick you wip that rod back. quick as in so quick that if your lure comes flying back, you should have no time to dodge it. There's always gonna be time that a fish will shake off, but a good hookset greatly cuts the odds of losing fishes.

q

« Reply #3078 on: August 08, 2011, 12:12:24 PM »
Those little tugs and pecks are sunnies. Bass don't do little tugs and pecks. If its a bass, you'll feel a heavy tug and some weight on your rod.

DeceiversChick

« Reply #3079 on: August 08, 2011, 12:15:40 PM »
I'm not trying to single out the ladies, but I see few ladies set the hook. Instead, when the line tightened, they just raise the rod and reel. Now that's not gonna keep your fish on the hook. If the problem is the fish coming off while you're reeling, most likely than not you ain't setting the hook hard enough. Now setting the hook hard doesn't mean pulling your rod back with power, it means how fast or quick you wip that rod back. quick as in so quick that if your lure comes flying back, you should have no time to dodge it. There's always gonna be time that a fish will shake off, but a good hookset greatly cuts the odds of losing fishes.

I don't just pick up the rod and reel it in. I know that I need to set the hook but I've never done it on bass's before. I've caught walleyes, white bass, suckers, sheephead, northern, carp, etc before and never had any issues. Now Bass is a little bit different and I guess with the first time fishing for them i didn't do it right.  This past weekend I had both incidents where the fish was coming off while I was reeling AND I couldn't hook it.

I guess I will need more practice since it was my first time fishing for bass. I've caught baby bass's off docks but that's nothing.  ;D

DeceiversChick

« Reply #3080 on: August 08, 2011, 12:16:50 PM »
Those little tugs and pecks are sunnies. Bass don't do little tugs and pecks. If its a bass, you'll feel a heavy tug and some weight on your rod.
Thanks. I guess I wasn't setting the hook right cause every fish nibbling is different.

bumzc

« Reply #3081 on: August 08, 2011, 01:13:43 PM »
Thanks. I guess I wasn't setting the hook right cause every fish nibbling is different.

Actually those little nibbles and tugs can be bass also.. you'll figure out which is which with more practice but again it all goes back to "if it feels different" Set the Hook

One thing to do is play with your lure by dragging it, hopping it, swimming it and  try to picture what it's doing down there and when it feels off, Set the Hook

DeceiversChick

« Reply #3082 on: August 08, 2011, 01:19:12 PM »
Actually those little nibbles and tugs can be bass also.. you'll figure out which is which with more practice but again it all goes back to "if it feels different" Set the Hook

One thing to do is play with your lure by dragging it, hopping it, swimming it and  try to picture what it's doing down there and when it feels off, Set the Hook

Yes need more practice. Thanks.

One funny incident, all three of us couldn't hook one damn bass. The older brother was in the front boat so he threw his lure in and tried setting the hook and it got loose. The bf was in the middle so he threw his exactly to where the action was and it bit but he didnt know how to set the hook so it got loose. They told me to throw it there and I did and it bit but I didn't know how to set the hook and it got loose too. OMFG, it was an epic fail on one damn bass.  :2funny:

Gym -E- Lamm

« Reply #3083 on: August 08, 2011, 01:27:52 PM »
My motto is Set the hook first then worry about what you have on the end of the line later. Just remember that fish don't have any hands so anytime you feel anything set the hook and worry about it later.

DeceiversChick

« Reply #3084 on: August 08, 2011, 01:46:12 PM »
My motto is Set the hook first then worry about what you have on the end of the line later. Just remember that fish don't have any hands so anytime you feel anything set the hook and worry about it later.
Thanks.

addisonlee

« Reply #3085 on: August 08, 2011, 03:02:21 PM »
The old saying... "When in doubt, set the hook"...

But I find that when in doubt wait a few seconds, cos they're not going any where.  O0

q

« Reply #3086 on: August 11, 2011, 09:52:34 AM »
Any big fish in Coon lake for you TCHB bassers who's fishing it? What's your expected weight for this tournament?

blablablablabla

« Reply #3087 on: August 11, 2011, 09:55:51 AM »
coon's got some hawgs  O0

q

« Reply #3088 on: August 11, 2011, 09:57:37 AM »
Where?

blablablablabla