Advertisement

Author Topic: bass fishing  (Read 485873 times)

basside

Re: bass fishing
« Reply #3120 on: August 31, 2011, 11:55:18 AM »
I use a full spool of 12# seagur Invizx on my cranking setup :'(

Mystery solved.  ;D

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

basside

« Reply #3121 on: August 31, 2011, 12:18:43 PM »
I dropshot with Braid.

I've tried that before but I'm picky and a needy person. The problem I had with braid was in clear water, can't believe how smart and keen their vision is. Early in the season when the water is clear and all you do is mostly site/bed fishing. These guys will swim to your lure, dog your braid and swim the other way, even with the fluoro leader the bass was suspicious. I've tried it with just straight mono and flouro, the results were better. They at least attacked it or try to chase it off. This to me makes me assume that braid is only best in stain or low clarity water. Another thing for me is braid has no stretch and my hooking percentage was low, my thoughts 1. I was ripping it out of its mouth or 2. Braid has no stretch and didn't allow the fish to keep it in its mouth long enough. It was also too limp/loose and had terrible knots between the sinker and hook. I'm sure it works for many other but just wasn't for me.

Thanks guys! 

addisonlee

« Reply #3122 on: August 31, 2011, 02:35:33 PM »
I use 10lbs Trilene XL on all my salmon casting setups. Everything else just doesn't perform like it out on the big lake off the pier. Bottom fishingI use 10-14lbs Trilene XL with 20-25lbs Seagur Flurocarbon as a leader.

O0

addisonlee

« Reply #3123 on: August 31, 2011, 03:19:06 PM »
Anyone ever try jigging spoons for bass in deep water?  ???

Gym -E- Lamm

« Reply #3124 on: September 01, 2011, 11:50:38 AM »

I don't know how to imbed the Video so If someone knows how please do so. thanks!

addisonlee

« Reply #3125 on: September 01, 2011, 01:45:04 PM »
No YT at work.

No personal experiences from anyone spooning for bass?  ???

basside

« Reply #3126 on: September 01, 2011, 01:55:10 PM »
Personally, I think there are better techniques to deep bass fishing then spoon. A few guys in the tournaments use it.

btw, thanks to everyone for their feedback. Yesterday I upgraded my lines on my dropshot rod. Went from 8# to 10#. Not a lot of memory as I thought, works and its much stronger.

GREAT VID!!!!

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 02:24:25 PM by basside »

Basstard

« Reply #3127 on: September 01, 2011, 02:50:13 PM »
Addison....Jig ging spoon works best when the main forage on the lake is shad(others are fine but shad is best). Durring the fall when they start running in wolf packs chasing shad and depending on how accurate your fish finder is, you can limit in 5 drops.

Durring the fall if you want to work on jigging a spoon, head towards the back of the lake, back river, pocket, major creek chanel, or watever your lake offers off the main lake and find a flat(flat on a major creek chanel is best). Have 2 spoons; one to cast and jig,ripe,jerk back to the boat and one to drop straight down when you graph a wolf pack or ball of bait fish.

Casting/jigging you can jerk up and let it free fall straight down(best when you graph them on the bottom....or you can jerk up and hold the rod tip up letting the spoon fall slower and towards you(best when you graph them suspended).

Basstard

« Reply #3128 on: September 01, 2011, 03:05:59 PM »
Drop shot....no matter what brand line is used, it's going to get kinky cuz of the small line required. 6,8,10 you can use for a couple days drop shotting...12,15,17 if ppl are willing to drop shot with besides power shotting...you can use for weeks(depending on the lake).

Here in Cali....to prevent a lot of line twist and from getting it all kinky, just drag it mostly back to the boat and give it a couple twitches here and there. Some ppl dont realize twitching it all the time and twitching it back to the boat on a far cast or on a vertical drop just spins the bait round and round. Then when you're ready to retrieve it back, reel it back to you or the boat as fast as you can to prevent the bait spinning round and round so you can fish longer with no line twist.

basside

« Reply #3129 on: September 01, 2011, 03:13:48 PM »
Drop shot....no matter what brand line is used, it's going to get kinky cuz of the small line required. 6,8,10 you can use for a couple days drop shotting...12,15,17 if ppl are willing to drop shot with besides power shotting...you can use for weeks(depending on the lake).

Here in Cali....to prevent a lot of line twist and from getting it all kinky, just drag it mostly back to the boat and give it a couple twitches here and there. Some ppl dont realize twitching it all the time and twitching it back to the boat on a far cast or on a vertical drop just spins the bait round and round. Then when you're ready to retrieve it back, reel it back to you or the boat as fast as you can to prevent the bait spinning round and round so you can fish longer with no line twist.

Or add a swivel, Problem solved!! Never used a spoon but I can see it triggering suspended fish. Thanks Bastard!

Up here during ice fishing we experience line twist dropping spoons and jig heads straight down. Don't know how everyone does it but I use this same setup, swivel on top, lure/bait at the bottom. I had major line twist before the swivel. Added a swivel and never had to change a line since.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 03:39:39 PM by basside »

blablablablabla

« Reply #3130 on: September 01, 2011, 03:55:01 PM »

No personal experiences from anyone spooning for bass?  ???

Here is one decent Smallie that I caught the other day.  I was throwing a 1/2 oz Hopkins style spoon.  Cast it out, let it drop and pop it up reel in slack, pop it up, let i drop and I go to pick up the slack and its fish on!  Fun stuff!  Caught quite a few fish and also lots of short strikes, good luck and have fun!   O0

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 04:01:18 PM by blablablablabla »

basside

« Reply #3131 on: September 01, 2011, 04:01:08 PM »
Nice!

Basstard

« Reply #3132 on: September 01, 2011, 04:03:44 PM »
Bassid....Swiv el is good for some ppl but it bothers some cuz sometime when you reel it hits the ring tip. Plus drop shot you get hung up a lot and having to retie line to swivel then swivel to drop shot set up is to much of a hassle. Having the swivel is not as sensitive when you're trying to figure what's at the bottom with the drop shot weight. I've tried it...dont like it. But if it works for you and your confident about it....do it.

We dont ice fish around here cuz our lakes dont freeze up so sorry I cant suggest anything.

basside

« Reply #3133 on: September 01, 2011, 04:12:07 PM »
I know a lot of people don't like the swivel, not even my brother but saves me $$$ from buying new line after each tournament. I DS in open water, into patches of weeds and have not had any tangle issues in weeds or debris. I never hit/reeled through my tip guide before...guess it depends what length rod one uses. I use 7' 1" M extra fast. I never had issues with bottom contact and sensitivity... . Its nice to share techniques and ideas.

Edit: Sensitivity might have to do more with the rod you're using then the line itself....just my thoughts.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 05:10:07 PM by basside »

Basstard

« Reply #3134 on: September 01, 2011, 05:17:34 PM »
Basside...yea it's all personal preference. I stop using swivel cuz I honestly keep hitting the tip. 6'6 - 7 is all good for drop shot. A lot of guys here get really technical about drop shot cuz we mostly have clear rock wall lakes; to using 2-4 test line to 1/32 oz drop shot weights, to drop shotting swim baits and mini crappie jigs for keeper bass...but best of all is any plactic worm(Robo worms).

You should try power shotting your patches of weeds on a flipping stick. There is a power shot drop shot weight out but I forgot what its called or brand. Put on a bobber stopper and then a punch skirt on your main line before you tie your drop shot set up. Use your regular 3/0-4/0 off set or barb hook and tie your regular drop shot set up. 1/2 or 1oz punch weight is fine. Slip the punch skirt down with your bobber stopper to where the hook is and you can put on any creature/worm bait. Pitch it into your patches of weeds and fish it like a drop shot.

Advertisements