Advertisement

Author Topic: bass fishing  (Read 485816 times)

addisonlee

Re: bass fishing
« Reply #3150 on: September 08, 2011, 09:38:50 AM »
Wednesday, September 7th, 2011

My buddy Rick and I fished a Kettle Moraine Bass Anglers (KMBA) evening bass tournament on Big Elkhart Lake from 5:30pm until 8pm, biggest two bass takes all. We started off drop-shotting a hump in 20fow and was marking fishing but all we kept getting were shorts. So we decided to go to the other side of the lake and ended up getting even more shorts drop shotting and a bunch of monster rock bass. No keepers for us. Winning bag was one smallie that weighed in at 2lbs. The rock bass will be good eating for me this weekend. Ended up with four big rock bass.

Rick with a monster rock bass.

This lake usually produces a good amount of fish but the cold front shut them off completely. A few boats fished it the day before and was catching 16-19inch smalles consistently. I guess that's fishing for ya. lol

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

bumzc

« Reply #3151 on: September 08, 2011, 03:36:53 PM »
Good ups bro.. fishing with these meeka guys and having access to their knowledge you'll be a pro in no time.. It'll be us asking you for advice  O0 O0

addisonlee

« Reply #3152 on: September 09, 2011, 09:16:21 AM »
Good ups bro.. fishing with these meeka guys and having access to their knowledge you'll be a pro in no time.. It'll be us asking you for advice  O0 O0

O0

Majority of the meeka peeps that I've fished with swear by fineese fishing, while I'm out there trying out deep divers. lol.

basside

« Reply #3153 on: September 09, 2011, 11:09:38 AM »
O0

Majority of the meeka peeps that I've fished with swear by fineese fishing, while I'm out there trying out deep divers. lol.

You will soon figure out why. Every year I'm touching my crank rod less and less. This year I've made 3 cast. Year before was 8...... I only use crank to cover water and figure the fish out, after that its 70% finesse fishing, 20% jigs and 10% reaction lures.

bumzc

« Reply #3154 on: September 09, 2011, 11:20:43 AM »
I've notice crank work will in the spring or maybe i just don't throw it as much in the summer :2funny:

addisonlee

« Reply #3155 on: September 09, 2011, 01:23:54 PM »
You will soon figure out why. Every year I'm touching my crank rod less and less. This year I've made 3 cast. Year before was 8...... I only use crank to cover water and figure the fish out, after that its 70% finesse fishing, 20% jigs and 10% reaction lures.

WERD.

Can't wait to get on them fall bass with cranks tho.  :D

Basstard

« Reply #3156 on: September 09, 2011, 03:00:42 PM »
If you are not cranking or throwing any type of reaction bait...you are truely missing out. I can honestly say a must have on the deck of my boat are 2 cranking rods and 1 spinnerbait rod for early spring, spring, summer, and fall cuz bass are moving up and down the water column all and everyday durring these seasons....win ter is a no brainer.

Every and anyone can finess fish a limit and hope to get lucky that a big/kicker fish will bite. But as all you tournament anglers know, a limit will not win you the tournament(most times). Ppl who go out finess fishing for a limit in hopes to get lucky that a big/kicker fish will bite will mostly never learn and improve. I see it all the time finess fishers have the same spinning rod with the same worm in the same spot they caught'em 10 years ago.

But just from my view and experience...n ot dogging anyone...yours might be different.

basside

« Reply #3157 on: September 09, 2011, 03:24:04 PM »
If you are not cranking or throwing any type of reaction bait...you are truely missing out. I can honestly say a must have on the deck of my boat are 2 cranking rods and 1 spinnerbait rod for early spring, spring, summer, and fall cuz bass are moving up and down the water column all and everyday durring these seasons....win ter is a no brainer.

Every and anyone can finess fish a limit and hope to get lucky that a big/kicker fish will bite. But as all you tournament anglers know, a limit will not win you the tournament(most times). Ppl who go out finess fishing for a limit in hopes to get lucky that a big/kicker fish will bite will mostly never learn and improve. I see it all the time finess fishers have the same spinning rod with the same worm in the same spot they caught'em 10 years ago.

But just from my view and experience...n ot dogging anyone...yours might be different.

Depends. We don't have rock bottoms, sand and pebbles at the bottom our 30,000+ combined MN/WI lakes except up north. Most of our lakes here have thick vegetation. Most of us use reaction baits to locate fish, then finesse it. Some just fish reaction bait covering as much water as possible and I see this at tournaments all the time. These guys don't win many tournaments, if not any b/c the fish are in the thick weeds. The cranks has its days and its place but finesse fishing overall seems to be the ticket in the Northern States here b/c it penetrates to where the fishes are. The rivers are a different story.

Here's my setup: 1 Spinnerbait, 1 hollow body swimbait, 2 jigs, 1 texas rig, 1 dropshot, 1 senko and 1 crank. All on the deck.

Edit: Its funny how its totally opposite here. Reaction baits (cranks, skinny dippers..etc) will catch your limit here but finesse fishing is what actually wins most tournaments. It all depends b/c anyone can throw cranks and reaction baits around too.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 03:53:37 PM by basside »

ricqik

« Reply #3158 on: September 12, 2011, 10:09:42 AM »
Power fishing n finesse fishing both have their place n time. I wouldn't weigh one over another bcz there's too many factors that play into what makes it or breaks it.

To be successful, u gotta be versatile. I can tell u all now, theres no fancy or popular brand at the end of my lines for me to be successful.

Have fun fishing yall.

Gym -E- Lamm

« Reply #3159 on: September 12, 2011, 12:55:08 PM »
Good Job this year Riq. A bad motor day cost you guys AOY. I hope you guys get your boat fixed soon.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 01:37:51 PM by Gym -E- Lamm »

addisonlee

« Reply #3160 on: September 12, 2011, 01:25:33 PM »
If Dan doesn't run HBC any more, does that mean no MN J4 bass tourny?  ??? :'(

Gym -E- Lamm

« Reply #3161 on: September 12, 2011, 01:37:23 PM »
If Dan doesn't run HBC any more, does that mean no MN J4 bass tourny?  ??? :'(

Dan doesn't do J4th. Dave Does and he really isn't offiliated with HBC. He just fishes a few HBC tourney's

addisonlee

« Reply #3162 on: September 12, 2011, 01:44:44 PM »
Dan doesn't do J4th. Dave Does and he really isn't offiliated with HBC. He just fishes a few HBC tourney's

So which club hosts the MN J4 bass tourny then? I always thought it was HBC.  ???

Gym -E- Lamm

« Reply #3163 on: September 12, 2011, 03:02:29 PM »
So which club hosts the MN J4 bass tourny then? I always thought it was HBC.  ???

No Club actually host's the J4 tourney. Dave usually runs it with Support from malina's..but since he now owns Moonshine...mo onshine supports it.

addisonlee

« Reply #3164 on: September 12, 2011, 03:08:40 PM »
No Club actually host's the J4 tourney. Dave usually runs it with Support from malina's..but since he now owns Moonshine...mo onshine supports it.

Interesting, didn't know that.

Advertisements