Advertisement

Author Topic: Fishing Equipment Reviews  (Read 54625 times)

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing Equipment Reviews
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2010, 11:51:13 AM »
Product name: Curado 50E
Low profile bait casting reel
Price: $199.99

First impressions are the sharper line of the reel body and the overall smaller reel body profile.  The graphite star drag has a nice touch of a matching paint color but not being made of the aluminum like the other Curado 200E’s was a sign of a lesser quality reel.  It’s the same star drag on the Citica 200E.  The reel itself when cranked was not as smooth as its bigger siblings either.  The levelwind guide was different from other siblings.  It is not up next to the levelwind line guide eye but was 180 degrees on the opposite side being like the way on the Chronarch 200D’s, only placed closer to the spool.  It may be a spitting image of the Core 50Mg but, the design of it turns out to be a more wobbly and noisy operation.  Furthermore there was looseness in the worm gear track that was very obviously felt during free cranking of the reel.  A gentle shake of the reel reveal a lot of looseness and internal rattling.  There was a considerable amount of handle back play.  For being a smaller reel, it’s lacking much in precision tolerances than its bigger siblings.

The reel was spooled up with 6# Gamma Copolymer and mounted on a St. Croix Avid 6’6” medium power crank rod. Casting on this smaller reel was performing extremely well on a ¼ oz bullet weight.  The bearings were treated with some Xtreme Reel+ lubricant.  Free spool spin time was about 12 seconds compared to the non treated stock bearings of only 6 seconds.  The first few casts got me roughly about 25 yards of casting distance.  As I tuned the reel in, I was soon casting about 30 yards easily.  I did manage a long distance cast of 40 yards.  I swapped out the stock bearings for some ABEC 7 bearings treated with some Xtreme Reel+ lubricant as well.  I immediately got 30 yards of casting distance.  Tweaking the reel for the ¼ oz. bullet weight, I was soon effortlessly getting about 35 yards.  I did manage a long distance cast of about 45 yards.

I still couldn’t get over how loosely noisy the reel was so I open up the reel to check to see if there was some loose part.  Well everything seems to be in order.  I did notice how large the main gear was.  I also notice no ribbing support on the handle side plate.  I checked the gear teeth tolerance and notice how loosely they meshed, a big time noise contributor there.  I also notice how wobbly the anti reverse pawl was as I turned the main drive around.  There is no clip to hold it down like on its bigger sibling.  It just wasn’t sitting well, but it didn’t pop out of place either.  There may be some noise contribution from this part as well.  However I mostly notice how wobbly the drive shaft was.  This was probably the biggest noise contributor to this reel.  I also noticed how wobbly the anti-reverse pawl operated as I turned the main drive.  I removed the anti-reverse pawl and put the reel back together but I didn’t notice any less rattling noise in both free cranking and gentle shaking of the reel.  I disassemble the reel again and put the anti-reverse pawl back.  I added additional grease to the anti-reverse pawl and the main and pinion gear.  This helped reduced some noise.  I also put some grease in between the reel frame and the cast control bearing to absorb some of the looseness in the spacing.  I couldn’t eliminate the gear looseness and rattling noise on free crank.  In the end, I held down the levelwind guide and that basically eliminated about most of the rattling noise as I gently shake the reel.  A harder shake revealed that perhaps the main gear was the culprit for the other rattling noise, just simply due to weight of gear and looseness of gear mesh.

Recommend to a friend?  Maybe.  The reel comes with mixed results.  I wouldn’t just recommend this reel to a friend.  However it’s ability to casts light weight lures is phenomenal and on basically on par with much more expensive reels.  Yet final assembly and choice of use of certain components leaves me with a big question of why was some lack of precision parts implemented into the final product.

Buy again?  Not sure.  I would probably not buy this reel again.  However due to the specialization of this reel, there isn’t another contender in about the price range.  Ideally I feel as if this reel should’ve been price point below the larger Curado 200E’s at $179.99.  I think at $149.99 would be on par for it’s out of the box tolerances.  Performance falls short of standard set by the Curado 200E and reminded me too much of the Citica 200E.

Your grade from 1-5 stars (1 being the worst and 5 being the best): 3.5 plus (not a 4)

Update: 09/22/10

After some more use and finally removed the assist stopper pawl again. I can feel the reel operating a lot smoother as well as some decrease in noise. In a sense it will probably function a little more closer to the Scorpion XT1000 (Japanese version). I temporarily replaced the bearings with some ARB spool bearings from the Chronarch D and I'm trying to get a feel of a supposed Scorpion XT1000. I admit I really like the effects of it now. Makes me wonder if I should order some ARB spool bearings.

Overall seems like the reel needed a break in period. For finesse application, removal of the assist stopper pawl makes for a better feel. Still I wish that the reel would've just come with the better ARB bearings.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 05:14:39 AM by VillainousHero »

Like this post: 0
The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Adverstisement

fish4keep

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2010, 02:29:26 PM »
Thanks for the Curado review.  I was thinking should I get it or not???  We'll see........... .........

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2010, 03:49:55 PM »
It's just gonna be my dedicated ice fishing reel.  >:D  So everything else that comes afterwards doesn't really matter.

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Nom Phaj

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2010, 05:30:06 PM »
Found a great deal on Quantum Energy PTS Left hand reels.  $99 + S&H  Reg price is $219

Anyone have some reviews on this reel?  I'm replacing my Shimano Calcutta 150 and this looks like it's going to be a good upgrade.  I ordered the 7:0:1 just because the 6:3:1 was out of stock.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2010, 09:46:50 PM »
Those new ones with the reel seats and coming in 36" and 42" are awesome.  Just like the old Avid Ice rods.  The lot I picked up had great epoxy jobs and all line guides were straight.  Medium action on these rods are just like a compress full size rod.  I like them way better than my old 28" medium rod already.  They do cost more, $30 instead of the usual $20 Premiers.  They have a seablue line wrap accent instead of the seagrean of the normal Premiers.

Two baitcasting models in 34" of MH and H power.  I only bought the MH to try out.  If I like that, then I'll look into getting the H power model later.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2011, 04:32:28 AM »
Upgraded my Strikelite to a 9" Lazer drill bit.  It works awesome.  Drills at a bout the same speed if not faster.  Just a tad bit heavier than the old composite drill bit.

bASS_BLASTER

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2011, 07:22:35 PM »

This is my next project. Sweet!

« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 07:24:37 PM by bASS_BLASTER »

blablablablabla

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2011, 07:24:32 PM »
Umm why do you have Yamaha gauges on your dash??  ;D

bASS_BLASTER

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2011, 07:27:56 PM »
Umm why do you have Yamaha gauges on your dash??  ;D

Its not mine. This is new 2011 Allison. They come with 898c in the dash and 858c in the bow. Also, I think this one has a Yam 250 SHO.

bASS_BLASTER

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
I wonder why many boat mfg don't put 7" screens on bow and dash? In the front I like to see depth + follow depth contours. Thats I why I put a 858c in the bow but its more of a challenge to get a 898c to the console.

blablablablabla

« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2011, 07:45:10 PM »
898 and 858 same body.   O0  998 and 898 same body.   O0

bASS_BLASTER

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2011, 08:02:57 PM »
898 and 858 same body.   O0  998 and 898 same body.   O0

I didn't know they were the same body frame. However, I wouldn't put side imaging up front but would love to have 898 or 998 in the dash. I don't like it sticking out and having it flap like dumbo ears.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 08:04:57 PM by bASS_BLASTER »

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2011, 10:30:35 PM »
Jigger Totter ice rod holders.  It's kind of similar to a plastic Mr. Jigger rod holder but I found it to still be useful being an all metal stainless steel construction.  If you're lazy ice fishing guy like me, who can't catch fish, maybe get one of these balanced rod holder and see if it helps you detect more bites.  It's kind of similar to those tip downs but it's not a tip down.

First pix, is my idea of settign the butt of the rod on the crossbar of the Jigger Totter rod holder.  So when a fish bites the lure initially, it will trip if off and go into the teeter totter mode.  Now I will know for sure if I have a bite.  Which in second pix is really what it's meant to do.  If fish stays on the rod will teeter totter with fish on.  Then give it a hook set.  O0

bASS_BLASTER

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2011, 03:59:23 PM »

I hated the black tape and zip ties so I customized these handles myself. It cost me $2!!!

fish4keep

« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2011, 01:14:47 PM »
Changing out Shimano spool bearings...... ........

Open the side plate.

Use a small tool to pull out the hex lock spring. You can see the spring was already popped out.

Once the spring is out, turn the reel upside down and softly tap it so the bearing will come out.

Put the new bearing into the reel, use your finger to put back the hex lock spring, and you're finish with this side.

On the handle side, unscrew the spool tension knob until it comes off.

Then it's pretty much like the first side.  Use the tool to unlock the spring, turn the reel upside down and softly tap until the bearing comes out, replace it with the new bearing, put the spring back to lock in the new bearing, and screw the spool tension knob back in place.  You have just finish changing out the spool bearings....

It just take a couple of mins to change out the spool bearings (it took me longer to write this post)...........

Advertisements