Advertisement

Author Topic: Apple Sells 600,000 iPhones Despite ‘System Malfunctions,’ Orders Suspended Rea  (Read 3932 times)

jbutton

If you were wondering why both Apple and AT&T melted down when taking orders for the iPhone 4 on Tuesday, we have the answer. Apple sold 600,000 of the things. According to Apple’s press release, “It was the largest number of pre-orders Apple has ever taken in a single day and was far higher than we anticipated, resulting in many order and approval system malfunctions.”

Read More http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/06/apple-sells-600000-iphones-despite-system-malfunctions/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Index+3+%28Top+Stories+2%29%29#ixzz0rAK2sBmw

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

AOZ

who would have ever thought Apple would be worth more than Microsoft!! 

beester

I really don't get it. Only 600,000 and their system just stops. You would think they can handle so many more by now. This is the 4th generation phone, you know the demand is there, I am amazed that this happens over and over again. Why have pre-orders if you can't handle them?

N`Chync

for smartphone yea Apple is the norm but not for desktops or laptops. i love my iPhone and no phone compares to it but i don't feel the same way about Macs.

I really don't get it. Only 600,000 and their system just stops. You would think they can handle so many more by now. This is the 4th generation phone, you know the demand is there, I am amazed that this happens over and over again. Why have pre-orders if you can't handle them?

only 600,000 were sucessful. soo many people were online that even in the morning AT&T and Apple's webeste were down. preorders were higher than the iPhone 3GS and if remember right they were able to handle that. and preorders are never guarantees. preorder starcraft 2 and ur not guaranteed anything either.

30,319 in queue and "Please note that being in the queue does not gurantee that you will have the opportunity to purchase an item"

beester

for smartphone yea Apple is the norm but not for desktops or laptops. i love my iPhone and no phone compares to it but i don't feel the same way about Macs.

only 600,000 were sucessful. soo many people were online that even in the morning AT&T and Apple's webeste were down. preorders were higher than the iPhone 3GS and if remember right they were able to handle that. and preorders are never guarantees. preorder starcraft 2 and ur not guaranteed anything either.

30,319 in queue and "Please note that being in the queue does not gurantee that you will have the opportunity to purchase an item"

Yeah, but starcraft probably gets a couple million easily. I'm sure the security issues may have something to do with that also. http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/06/16/att_looking_into_rumored_iphone_4_preorder_security_issues.html
I just don't see the use of getting something on the day it is out. Wait a few days, you will get it. I guess people like to show off that they have the latest and greatest. I'd rather wait til it goes down in price.

N`Chync

The iPhone easily sells too. If u don't preorder or wait in line ur out of luck for awhile.  Hardware is easier to have more quantities of than software. And at 31,000 ur not quatantee to get Starcraft while  600,000 was the cutoff fir iPhones. PS3's are hard to come because the demand for hardware is more than what they have in supples. Just like how for 2 years  Wii's were hard to come by.

beester

The iPhone easily sells too. If u don't preorder or wait in line ur out of luck for awhile.  Hardware is easier to have more quantities of than software. And at 31,000 ur not quatantee to get Starcraft while  600,000 was the cutoff fir iPhones. PS3's are hard to come because the demand for hardware is more than what they have in supples. Just like how for 2 years  Wii's were hard to come by.

You are wrong about software. Why would it be harder to have software when you can make it available for download. Manufacturers purposefully do this. It's not like they don't know how many they can produce per day/week. Build a big enough stock before selling the damn things. Who cares if it's June 24 or July 24. This date was set by the manufacturer and they should have planned better IMO. i guess it's our fault for literally dying to get some new tech.

N`Chync

You are wrong about software. Why would it be harder to have software when you can make it available for download. Manufacturers purposefully do this. It's not like they don't know how many they can produce per day/week. Build a big enough stock before selling the damn things. Who cares if it's June 24 or July 24. This date was set by the manufacturer and they should have planned better IMO. i guess it's our fault for literally dying to get some new tech.

So wrong? How? Manufacturers only so many produce parts at a time. Games u can find. Wii's use to be hard to find, ps3's now are like that due to how many they are making, htc droid incredible is in short supply due to the new screen it's using.

Today iOS 4 came out for iPhone 3G, iPod Touch, and iPhone 3GS. No shortage of software today. The iPhone 4 now that's a different story.

N`Chync

And I didn't say it was harder to make software

beester

What was that then. That was just blizzard's site. You could have preordered it from Amazon, Gamestop, and other sites if you wanted to. That only mean that they had that many at their site in that one instance. All I'm saying is that if they know a lot of people will want their product, be more prepared so that they don't have to look stupid. Pretty sad that you have so much time to make units for something, yet can only take so much preorder for it. 600,000 to me is very little. They could have sold more if they would have been more prepared.

N`Chync

lol my bad. typing from my iPhone.

last year's iphone took 3 days to sell 1 million, iPad  28 days, iPhone 3G 3 days, and  iPhone 74 days .the iPhone 4 is definitely gonna surpass them. unlke blizzard and amazon Apple has stores and AT&T stores to sell iPhones on the day it opens plus not to mention a iPhone cost much more than a game. preorders all gone and now people camping for the phone. and it's still gonna sell faster than any other phone ever.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 08:39:10 PM by N`Chync »

joe

Time to sell, sell, sell.

N`Chync

The iPhone 4's that I've seen and held don't have reception problems. But some of my friends that I haven't had a chance to see their iPhones have reception problems. Then again people on iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS on iOS 4 have reported the same issues holding the iPhone.

Just like the issues people report about the Evo 4G and Droid Incredible I haven't seen for myself while messing with the phones.

N`Chync

Droid incredible and evo 4G are having screen problems like multitouch failure. But yea these companies won't admit failure just like htc said there was no signal problems when the nexus one came out. Again people I knew with that phone didn't have any problems. I haven't had reception issues with none of my iPhones. Then again when I noticed a dip in repletion I just reset my settings as I would my router. Messing with all these phones I try to find those issues and see for myself if the phone is gonna be one I get.

N`Chync

Advertisements