Advertisement

Author Topic: kao kalia yang will be in Madison  (Read 15466 times)

drEamer

kao kalia yang will be in Madison
« on: September 13, 2010, 04:43:08 PM »
Oct 1st and 2nd for the madison book festival....do ing a kids writing workshop friday and showing of this movie on the 2nd

Kao Kalia Yang Writing Workshop for Youth
Friday, October 1  |  4:30 - 6:30 PM
Venue: Kennedy Heights Community Center
Presenter(s): Kao Kalia Yang
The experiences as an immigrant guide the writings of Kao Kalia Yang, author of The Latehomecomer: A Hmong Family Memoir. This workshop encourages youth to define and write their own stories. Participants must pre-register for this FREE workshop. Click HERE to register.
Category(s): International, Writing & Publishing, Youth & Kids Kao Kalia Yang Film Screening: The Place You Were Born
Friday, October 1  |  7:00 - 8:00 PM
Venue: Kennedy Heights Community Center
Presenter(s): Kao Kalia Yang
Hmong author Koa Kalia Yang, author of The Latehomecomer, will screen The Place Where We Were Born, a lyric documentary about the Hmong experience in the Ban Vinai Refugee Camp. The screening will be followed by an interactive dialogue with the audience members.
Category(s): International, Society & Politics, Wisconsin Ties Kao Kalia Yang: Saturday, October 2 Kao Kalia Yang & Judy Pasternak
Saturday, October 2  |  5:30 - 7:00 PM
Venue: Promenade Hall/Overture

Presenter(s): Kao Kalia Yang, Judy Pasternak
In search of a place to call home, thousands of Hmong families made the journey from the war-torn jungles of Laos to the overcrowded refugee camps of Thailand and onward to America, but their history remains largely unknown. Kao Kalia Yang’s memoir The Latehomecomer is a tribute to her grandmother, the remarkable woman whose spirit held the family together. With a journalist’s heart for the truth and a storyteller’s gift for lyricism, Yang describes her family’s harrowing escape from Laos, their life in the refugee camps, and her own experiences with American life and learning. In her compelling and compassionate expose, Yellow Dirt: The Betrayal of the Navajo, prize-winning investigative reporter Judy Pasternak reveals how from the 1930’s to the 1960’s, the United States knowingly used and discarded an entire tribe of people: In the uranium mines that fueled the Manhattan Project and the Cold War, the Navajo worked unprotected. Pasternak chronicles the state-sanctioned deception which resulted in the deadly radiation contamination of the tribe’s air, water and soil. Transporting readers into a little-known country-within-a-country, Pasternak gives rare voice to Navajo perceptions of the world, their own complicated involvement with uranium mining, and their political coming-of-age.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

tijlaugsexy

Re: kao kalia yang will be in Madison
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 05:17:20 PM »
have you nyeem the book yet ?

Rendered-Useless

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 05:17:59 PM »
omg she's easy on the eyes!

acuratl_guy

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 05:54:54 PM »
she's not that pretty in person....i give her props and all but I think when she talks the tries too hard to be someone who she's not...i mean, she's only written a few books and she thinks she is "IT"....

koumoua

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 05:58:26 PM »
cool. this is something i'd like to attend.

i've always wanted to write and illustrate my own children's books.....

tijlaugsexy

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 07:59:07 PM »
she's not that pretty in person....i give her props and all but I think when she talks the tries too hard to be someone who she's not...i mean, she's only written a few books and she thinks she is "IT"....
yea she my cousin so i dont think she look that good either, she nice though i mean you ask for like five bucks for gas and she give it to me because i always be reminding her how rich she is with her book deals and so five bucks is nothing so just give it up! yea she gives it up 99 percent of the time.

fabio

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 08:19:43 PM »
i love her.

HmongHUNTER007

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 08:27:17 PM »
Shes just to short for me...she like 5" 0 thats with the high heels..so she gotta be like 4"7 or 4"8...lol

drEamer

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 08:27:29 PM »

fabio

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 09:11:35 PM »
homo?

she has a way with words that draws people to her.

case in point.

Melony

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 09:17:03 PM »
Love her book, The Late Homecomer. She is a brilliant woman.

acuratl_guy

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 09:18:02 PM »
Her Hmong isn't all that great...its good enuff but not great

the way she speaks, it sounds like she's reading a script and I'm sure she probably wrote everything and read it over and over and over until she memorized it...it's just my opinion but doesn't it seem like that tho?

fabio

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 09:21:56 PM »
Her Hmong isn't all that great...its good enuff but not great

the way she speaks, it sounds like she's reading a script and I'm sure she probably wrote everything and read it over and over and over until she memorized it...it's just my opinion but doesn't it seem like that tho?

i've heard her speak before and she is very poetic in that she chooses her words carefully. she has a beautiful play on words.

acuratl_guy

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 09:25:48 PM »
yah, i've heard her speak too...she came to my son's school this one time to promote her book the latehomecomer. ..i bought it just because....it's sitting somewhere in the house...

fabio

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 09:30:24 PM »
yah, i've heard her speak too...she came to my son's school this one time to promote her book the latehomecomer. ..i bought it just because....it's sitting somewhere in the house...

you should read it. the book is really beautiful in that it really is a memoir about hmong americans and our lives leading up till now.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 09:35:00 PM by fabio »

Advertisements