Advertisement

Author Topic: "The White Tiger" by Aravind Adiga  (Read 5651 times)

Offline Solemn Wind

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
"The White Tiger" by Aravind Adiga
« on: October 03, 2010, 11:07:14 AM »
This is one of the best book I've ever read. It's unlike anything I've ever read before.

Highly recommended... Aravind Adiga is a literary genius who's not afraid to offend anyone. 8)

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Amara

Re: "The White Tiger" by Aravind Adiga
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 01:11:28 AM »
Sounds like this will be a good read. Have you read any other books by other Indian authors? Any you would suggest?

Offline Solemn Wind

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
Sounds like this will be a good read. Have you read any other books by other Indian authors? Any you would suggest?

I have read many books by East Indian authors. They wrote some of the most beautiful, heart wrenching, and poetic books and probably has no rivals except the great Russian classic authors such as Tolstoy and Dostoevsky.

Having said that Aravind Adiga is not one of them...and his "White Tiger" is unlike any other Indian novel/book you've ever read.

The most popular East Indian writer today, at least the most well-known, is probably Jhumpa Lahiri. Her book "The Namesake" was also made into a major motion picture.

Vikas Swarup's book "Q & A" aka "Slumdog Millionaire" was also made into a movie and even won the Academy Award for Best Picture. The book is very different from the movie.

But I have to say the best literary masterpiece and one of the most beautiful book I've ever read period is Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni's "Sister of My Heart." If you like to read and you have a heart and you are not moved by "Sister of My Heart" somethings seriously wrong with you. I'm a guy and the ending had me cry like a little baby...but happy tears though. :) "Sister of My Heart" is also very funny and suspenseful as well. This book is mightily recommended. O0   

Pandora`

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 10:13:32 AM »
I have read many books by East Indian authors. They wrote some of the most beautiful, heart wrenching, and poetic books and probably has no rivals except the great Russian classic authors such as Tolstoy and Dostoevsky.

Having said that Aravind Adiga is not one of them...and his "White Tiger" is unlike any other Indian novel/book you've ever read.

The most popular East Indian writer today, at least the most well-known, is probably Jhumpa Lahiri. Her book "The Namesake" was also made into a major motion picture.

Vikas Swarup's book "Q & A" aka "Slumdog Millionaire" was also made into a movie and even won the Academy Award for Best Picture. The book is very different from the movie.

But I have to say the best literary masterpiece and one of the most beautiful book I've ever read period is Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni's "Sister of My Heart." If you like to read and you have a heart and you are not moved by "Sister of My Heart" somethings seriously wrong with you. I'm a guy and the ending had me cry like a little baby...but happy tears though. :) "Sister of My Heart" is also very funny and suspenseful as well. This book is mightily recommended. O0   

are they difficult?  would a 10th grader taking AP classes be able to understand the contents/themes?

passingby#2

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 04:55:26 PM »
interesting i'll look into this

Nickole

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 11:32:58 AM »
I read White Tiger because it was recommended to me. It is good.

I didn't like The  Namesake as much, it was too slow and boring...just like the movie. Read the book first but the movie was a bit better for me.

Sister of my Heart is good and read it a long time ago and always wanted a movie adaptation.

Q&A is awesome! I loved it. Very different from Slumdog Millionaire. Loved it! Also read Vikas Swarup's other book, The Six Suspects. Loved it.

Other Desi authors and books I love are...

If you liked Sister of My Heart, try Amulya Malladi's two books - Mango Season & Breath of Fresh Air, loved both. Breath of Fresh Air has some of the Bhopal incidents in there, very heart warming. I love how it's written with each one of the character's point of view. Mango Season is hilarious, it's about a South Indian who is going back home to India, a country she once loves and now is annoyed with everything, that's what happens when you leave home for a while.

Or brainless fun books by Sonia Singh  - Goddess for Hire, Bollywood Confidential, and Ghost Interrupted

evil-in-deed

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 08:49:50 PM »

"Chief Buffalo Child Long Lance"

native american stories are very interesting... how they deal with the white men and their own people...

Offline Solemn Wind

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 10:19:15 PM »
I read White Tiger because it was recommended to me. It is good.

I didn't like The  Namesake as much, it was too slow and boring...just like the movie. Read the book first but the movie was a bit better for me.

Sister of my Heart is good and read it a long time ago and always wanted a movie adaptation.

Q&A is awesome! I loved it. Very different from Slumdog Millionaire. Loved it! Also read Vikas Swarup's other book, The Six Suspects. Loved it.

Other Desi authors and books I love are...

If you liked Sister of My Heart, try Amulya Malladi's two books - Mango Season & Breath of Fresh Air, loved both. Breath of Fresh Air has some of the Bhopal incidents in there, very heart warming. I love how it's written with each one of the character's point of view. Mango Season is hilarious, it's about a South Indian who is going back home to India, a country she once loves and now is annoyed with everything, that's what happens when you leave home for a while.

Or brainless fun books by Sonia Singh  - Goddess for Hire, Bollywood Confidential, and Ghost Interrupted

I'm always happy to know that someone has read "The White Tiger." I hope you're Hmong.

I would love to write something like "The White Tiger" but from a Hmong point of view. I know that after "The White Tiger" was published millions of Indians hate Adiga, but the irony is that a book like "The White Tiger" can only improve the lives of Indians.

Nickole

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 02:09:02 PM »
lmao, yes, I'm Hmong. Check out my blogs on signature for more details. I'm just a Hmong Chick who Loves India cinema, haha

ETA - I don't post much on here anymore. Really nothing to say. I do a lot of social  networking but this forum isn't really for me. If anyone has questions, I would answer, just like I answer questions in the movie section.

evil-in-deed

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 12:01:19 AM »
lmao, yes, I'm Hmong. Check out my blogs on signature for more details. I'm just a Hmong Chick who Loves India cinema, haha

ETA - I don't post much on here anymore. Really nothing to say. I do a lot of social  networking but this forum isn't really for me. If anyone has questions, I would answer, just like I answer questions in the movie section.

that one man show on your blog is very interesting reading...

Nickole

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 09:38:17 AM »
Thanks, he's my  number hottie. He's a South Indian actor. Bollywood only refers to Hindi films. South Indian movies includes the following four languages - Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, and Kannada. He's a Telugu actor.

I did a full post on him about his movies if you're interested.

http://apunbindaas.blogspot.com/2010/12/allu-arjun-taking-look-at-his-films.html

I did a fan video of him using Taeyang's songs,  he's the best dancer in India, the sexiest one too

http://apunbindaas.blogspot.com/2010/06/my-fan-video-of-allu-arjun.html

and I celebrated my blog by using his photos :)

last year - http://apunbindaas.blogspot.com/2010/06/happy-2nd-blog-birthday-to-me.html

this year - http://apunbindaas.blogspot.com/2011/06/happy-anniversarybirthday-to-me.html

And I was in South Scope magazine - http://apunbindaas.blogspot.com/2010/08/im-in-july-2010-edition-of-south-scope.html

okay, enough spamming :D

Advertisements