Advertisement

Author Topic: Creating Pa Ndau Applique: A New Approach to an Ancient Art For  (Read 3039 times)

Peachy Fish

Creating Pa Ndau Applique: A New Approach to an Ancient Art For
« on: October 18, 2010, 09:16:57 AM »
My sister bought this book and loaned it to me...it teaches you how to make typical Hmong shapes like the elephant's food and the snails. If you don't have readily access to your mother or someone who is willing to teach you how to sew paaj ntaub, check this book out.

http://www.amazon.com/Creating-Pa-Ndau-Applique-Approach/dp/0870693905

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
Re: Creating Pa Ndau Applique: A New Approach to an Ancient Art For
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 05:30:43 PM »
So the word Pa Ndau is becoming an English word. That's great! So is the word Hmong.

When I was in college, a Caucasian art classmate told me I should encourage the Hmong to continue stitching our embroideries. I told her appliques could be used in its place. She said that wasn't original enough. However, with today's fast-paced society, we don't have the time to stitch every string onto cloth anymore.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Peachy Fish

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 10:57:27 PM »
So the word Pa Ndau is becoming an English word. That's great! So is the word Hmong.

When I was in college, a Caucasian art classmate told me I should encourage the Hmong to continue stitching our embroideries. I told her appliques could be used in its place. She said that wasn't original enough. However, with today's fast-paced society, we don't have the time to stitch every string onto cloth anymore.

Yeah. I get really happy when I come across a blog or news article about Hmong embroidery or appliques or clothes in general.  :D It's so true, it takes a lot of effort and time to stitch every piece, but I pray that we never lose that skill.

Pineapple

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 09:40:31 AM »
Yeah. I get really happy when I come across a blog or news article about Hmong embroidery or appliques or clothes in general.  :D It's so true, it takes a lot of effort and time to stitch every piece, but I pray that we never lose that skill.

Don't worry, I still stitch...LOL.  It does take a lot of time.  I only stitch when I'm watching Asian Drama.  I could never make a whole outfit though...like putting all the pieces together, but to stitch and creat the design...I can do that.

passingby#2

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 04:57:45 PM »
I have not done paj ntaub since I was a teen. cool!

Offline dianahmuas

• Elite Poster
  • i love when you love me...
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 04:58:22 PM »
 O0

"Be pain, Live prosperously, Be merried"

"Live pain, Be prosperous, Live merrily"

passingby#2

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 04:59:51 PM »
Don't worry, I still stitch...LOL.  It does take a lot of time.  I only stitch when I'm watching Asian Drama.  I could never make a whole outfit though...like putting all the pieces together, but to stitch and creat the design...I can do that.

i can only do cross stitch

Advertisements