Advertisement

Author Topic: Dlaab Ntaws Tsaus  (Read 10031 times)

Gutts

Dlaab Ntaws Tsaus
« on: November 27, 2010, 08:33:29 PM »
In a dinner conversation with my brother & parents the other night, they mentioned being witness to "dlaab ntaws tsaus" back in Laos.  (I believe that's how you spell it.)  I was curious to what it was, because it was the first I've ever heard of it.

From what my mom was explaining, it was a series of unexplained lights / torches that was usually seen in the near distance on the surrounding mountain sides.  My mother was saying that it usually begins with one light appearing, then more and more will flicker on across the spectrum of the mountain side, and then return to the original location where the first light was spotted.

My brother (mid 30's) claims to have seen and remember it as well.  Both my parents confirm it exists, and confirm that their parents before them have seen it.

It's probably something that hasn't been documented by western society (I haven't researched it, but did come accross the "mekong lights"), but it's pretty intriguing.

Have you guys ever seen or discussed such a thing with your parents, or those who lived in Laos?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

yuknowthat

Re: Dlaab Ntaws Tsaus
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 08:45:27 PM »
dab taws ntsau?

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 09:26:07 PM »
I don't know what it is. And I don't know if it's true. But, yes, there are sparks like that.

Back in Phabkheb, I was a little kid. We lived on the plateau of a hillside over a huge river. On the other side of the river valley was a Roob Phuam Coos--a large mountain-like hill stretching several miles.  At night, we would see such sparks on that hill. The sparks did not go all across the hill. But there were units of sparks that would spread out in all directions, then would run right back to their original spot.

Many have called it dab taws tsau. But others have called it dab ntxaug. Those who claim to know have said that the original spots were just tiny red mice under some kind of elephant grass roots. Many claimed they have dug up those grasses and have found a mouse under them some times. At night, that mouse would then spread those sparks to mark its territories as it was foraging for foods or it was just playing around. Something like that.

I have always thought someone was just playing with firecrackers. Why? At that time, the war was already coming to an end. The Hmong people there have already had access to modern shelled powders, grenades, and other ammos that would have been  used to form sparks like so.  Someone might have just been playing with them on the hill I was looking at at night. That was my thought.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 09:27:40 PM by Reporter »

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Gutts

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 09:43:41 PM »
I don't know what it is. And I don't know if it's true. But, yes, there are sparks like that.

Back in Phabkheb, I was a little kid. We lived on the plateau of a hillside over a huge river. On the other side of the river valley was a Roob Phuam Coos--a large mountain-like hill stretching several miles.  At night, we would see such sparks on that hill. The sparks did not go all across the hill. But there were units of sparks that would spread out in all directions, then would run right back to their original spot.

Many have called it dab taws tsau. But others have called it dab ntxaug. Those who claim to know have said that the original spots were just tiny red mice under some kind of elephant grass roots. Many claimed they have dug up those grasses and have found a mouse under them some times. At night, that mouse would then spread those sparks to mark its territories as it was foraging for foods or it was just playing around. Something like that.

I have always thought someone was just playing with firecrackers. Why? At that time, the war was already coming to an end. The Hmong people there have already had access to modern shelled powders, grenades, and other ammos that would have been  used to form sparks like so.  Someone might have just been playing with them on the hill I was looking at at night. That was my thought.

So does it look like flares? Fire works? Torches?  It would be interesting, to see if this sort of thing was witnessed by our parents parents.  I'd ask next time & will provide an update.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 10:17:01 PM »
So does it look like flares? Fire works? Torches?  It would be interesting, to see if this sort of thing was witnessed by our parents parents.  I'd ask next time & will provide an update.

They are independent red sparks.  They jump out some distance and then roll back to the original spot at the same time.

From the distance, I could not tell if they were flames.

"...

acid

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 01:02:28 AM »
I not sure but i saw it in my own eyes back in laos, it only happened where the cemetery was, i believed it.
no question.

Gawmp

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 08:07:35 AM »
According to my elders, these are mices without their fur. Kinda like baby mices (nas liab). As Reporter stated, some call it Dab Taws Tsau and others know it as Dab Ntxaug. It is said that if anyone or villages that have these dab ntxaug around are at great risk of death as these mouse-like creatures would appear to be naked baby mices out in the open. If they are bothered or harmed by an individual, then that individuals family befalls great death. There have been stories told of families that has lost everyone due to these dab ntxaug.

These dab ntxaug usually reside in huge dirt mounds like ant hills according to elders. At night as you all have mentioned, one spark starts then it triggers like a wild fire. Usually from a distance, these light are like flames, and when it starts to propagate itself, it would catch on like wildfire and spread all over the place. When it wants to retreat, it would just die out instantly like when it first started and ends up usually at the same spot.

During the times in the refugee camp in thailand, I've only witness it once. I don't believe this phenomanon has been investigated by westerners yet. It would be interesting if this was caught on video and see how these flames propagates.

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 12:35:40 PM »
Iono bout such things, but back when I was little and we used to walk around in the evenings when it got dark, we'd pick up a couple of rocks and bang them against each other to make sparks.  Thought that was cool, but from a distance, it looked like something flashing.  Especially when there were 4 or 5 of us doing this.  I'm sure someone probably saw it and thought we were ghosts or something.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 05:10:31 PM »
Iono bout such things, but back when I was little and we used to walk around in the evenings when it got dark, we'd pick up a couple of rocks and bang them against each other to make sparks.  Thought that was cool, but from a distance, it looked like something flashing.  Especially when there were 4 or 5 of us doing this.  I'm sure someone probably saw it and thought we were ghosts or something.

Those stone crystals you are talking about did not create large enough sparks to glow at such distances we are talking about. You couldn't even make fires of those rock sparks. :2funny: :2funny: We are talking about flame-like glitters.

"...

morninglory

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 03:25:25 PM »
So its not actually ghost but just mice without furs?

Special_K

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 03:35:20 PM »
how can mice without fur cause red lights?? 

Gawmp

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 03:46:55 PM »
So its not actually ghost but just mice without furs?

I wouldn't say they are ghosts, but some form of creature that posses some kind of power. Of all the stories heard, they are always in the form of naked mices when seen by people.

HmongKnight

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 06:54:49 PM »
This myth of "dlaab taws tsaus" is not really demons or evil spirits but "field mice". These mice glow in the dark like flames. AT night when alot of them come out in large group, their glowing body form a burning flames like a torch. Our OGs are so behind technologies and studies that they lack of understanding of these kind of phenomenum that's all.

Eyedumgai

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 07:44:26 PM »
This myth of "dlaab taws tsaus" is not really demons or evil spirits but "field mice". These mice glow in the dark like flames. AT night when alot of them come out in large group, their glowing body form a burning flames like a torch. Our OGs are so behind technologies and studies that they lack of understanding of these kind of phenomenum that's all.
And you have proof of your assertion? What are these so-called mice called? Scientific, please (aka, Latin).

I have also heard of these stories from my dad. He also said one of his friends died as a result of trying to spook one since he thought they were girls making their way home from gathering wood. He came home and became ill several days later and died.

I would be interested in Beast Hunter, Nat Geo doing an investigation. Anyone care to put in an inquiry on my behalf?

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 08:04:11 PM »

Some people say naked red mice...lol...

Well, how else would they have created red sparks if they weren't red, huh?

"...

Advertisements