Advertisement

Author Topic: DDos attack (blame Windows users)  (Read 6984 times)

jbutton

DDos attack (blame Windows users)
« on: December 01, 2010, 05:05:44 PM »
If everyone were using Linux, we would never have a large scale DDos attack. 

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

jetter

Re: DDos attack (blame Windows users)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 05:51:31 PM »
Where is your evidence to support that statement?

Here is my assumption: if everyone is using linux then there will be a linux ddos type attack because every hacker/script kiddies will be targeting the os. 

jbutton

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 06:02:43 PM »
Where is your evidence to support that statement?

Here is my assumption: if everyone is using linux then there will be a linux ddos type attack because every hacker/script kiddies will be targeting the os. 

Your assumption is wrong.  Your assumption assumes Linux is just as weak as Windows.  If that were the case, then you have a point.

jetter

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 06:31:30 PM »
How do you know my assumption is wrong?  How do you know Linux is not weak?  Just because it is not targeted as much as windows, does not mean it is not weak.  Let's assume that everyone is using linux, home user's; desktop, laptops, netbooks, enterprises .. etc ... ; there are countless application written for linux like linux office, linux sql, linux blah blah blah.  So with that being said, hardly anyone uses windows because it's not user friendly.  So now, which os is going to get targeted?  Windows or Linux? Where is the DDos going to come from?

jbutton

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 12:15:10 AM »
You can't program out stupid user.  That's the bottom line.  DDOS is stupid user dependant.  I cannot imagine a world where Linux with GCC is utilize where a hacker can write code on the fly to do some serious hacking.  That is just sick.  A hacked linux box is a hacker's wetdream.  So to conclude, stupid user on Linux results in even nastier shit; be glad M$ has done a wonderful job trying to program out stupid.  Oh don't forget Linux has plenty of kernel bugs.

You want proof?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=linux+exploit

Some of the problems you describe here requires hacker gaining access to the machine.  Access to the machine adds another security layer.  Most Linux installation do not come with ssh server.  Hence, hacker can't get access to the machine.  But if you do run your linux box as an ssh server, exposing it to the outside world, hackers may attempt to hack it.  Yes, I have see the log of attempts hackers trying to gain access to one of our linux machine.  Thousands of attempts a day.  And yes, one hacker did get access to our Linux box but it was simply because we have an account the user name and the password are the same.  Short, common name, with all lower case letters.  Brute force  eventually got it.  Once the hacker got into our box, there is nothing the hacker can do unless the hacker gain root access.  This add another layer of security.  Some of the above exploits did mention gaining root access.  In another word, hacking a Linux box is hard work.

On Windows, sometimes the user didn't even do anything.  And their computer still have stuff installed running without them being aware. 

jbutton

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 12:24:25 AM »
How do you know my assumption is wrong?  How do you know Linux is not weak?  Just because it is not targeted as much as windows, does not mean it is not weak.  Let's assume that everyone is using linux, home user's; desktop, laptops, netbooks, enterprises .. etc ... ; there are countless application written for linux like linux office, linux sql, linux blah blah blah.  So with that being said, hardly anyone uses windows because it's not user friendly.  So now, which os is going to get targeted?  Windows or Linux? Where is the DDos going to come from?

No, it is because Linux harder to crack.  Linux servers power the internet.  Linux based routers provides you wifi.   There are more linux out there than you think.  No one really count.  Can you imagine how a virus could possibly survive on Linux?  There is almost no chance a Linux virus could survive due to its file and user security on Linux.  If a user happen to run a virus on his computer, it is stuck on that computer unable to propagate.  Linux and unix are designed specifically for multiusers where one user can't trust another user.  Even if another user has cruel intention, unix file security is supposed to protect one user from another.  This very design protects one user from another person's application.  The linux/unix host is protected from users.  Of course, unless the hacker gain root access which makes him God in the Linux box.   

jetter

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 09:44:34 AM »
lol ... man jbutton; I don't know what happen to that BS in Computer Science went.  Guess you never took the operating systems course.  Take that class then get back to this linux is the best because of the mentality that you have ubuntu running on your laptop, desktop at work and at home; thus linux the best.  8v10un30sun hit right on the point and if you still don't understand; I do not know what to say man.

Offline joot

• Jr. Poster
  • Lonewolf & Cub
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 10:41:46 AM »
Linux is only in its infancy and not too many business uses it enough to warrant attacks from cyber criminals...If it was mature like Windows, it will definitely get hammered.  More business use Windows operating systems than any other....that's why criminals target it the most...

Offline joot

• Jr. Poster
  • Lonewolf & Cub
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 11:17:01 AM »
Jetter, he's a smart guy...He's just being extremely bias because he has to fix a bunch of his cousin's computer because they are stupid user.

Like Spiderman's Uncle said, "With power comes responsibility ." - Stan Lee

Dumbass users wants admin power so they can install all the programs they want.  Of course they can do that as a power user, but that requires speicalize policying and the dumbass user don't know how to implement a good policy.  It's expected by the likes of Jbutton that Windows OS should be highly intelligent that it can tell the stupid user not what to do.  In the linux world they have Linux admin.  At home, the windows admin is the stupid user.  In my 21 years of using M$ product since MS-DOS, I've never been hacked once.  I've downloaded my share of trojan virus but that's because I was being a stupid-user not scanning a file before executing it.  I'm intelligent enough to know my system is compromise to fix it, but some users are so stupid, I swear they shouldn't even be using computers.  All they do is surf p0rn and it's no wonder they get crap like that.

I concur...

Offline Toua

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 04:12:30 PM »
jbutton= Fail again.   :2funny:  reminds me of mac vs pc.  :2funny:

Never risk your life for those who will not do the same...

Offline Toua

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 04:18:06 PM »
I love windows.  O0 jbutton made himself seem like a pro but cant even handle windows. What does that really say about him? :2funny:

Never risk your life for those who will not do the same...

jbutton

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 06:02:32 PM »
lol ... man jbutton; I don't know what happen to that BS in Computer Science went.  Guess you never took the operating systems course.  Take that class then get back to this linux is the best because of the mentality that you have ubuntu running on your laptop, desktop at work and at home; thus linux the best.  8v10un30sun hit right on the point and if you still don't understand; I do not know what to say man.

Windows and Unix had different design goals.  Windows for a single user and Unix for the network and untrust multi users environment.   Security was always part of Unix.  Linux inherit the design goals of unix.  Windows have improved in security by adopting many of the security features found on Unix.  You know have file permission and user management on Windows vista and Windows 7.  If you always think Windows and Unix has the same level of security then there won't need a need for Windows to adopt any of Unix security scheme.  In another word, linux and unix by default are far far more secure than Windows simply because of the environment and goals these operating came to be.   

I never had a BS in computer science.  But I did take operating system.  I assume your operating system course talk about Windows?  While ours talk about BSD and unix.   Is this why you seem to think every computer is like Windows in terms of security.  I on the other hand compare ever other operating system with unix operating systems.

jbutton

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 06:09:22 PM »
I'm not even talking about stupid users yet.

If you leave a windows machine online and never touch it again and it will eventually become a zombie.  Can you say the same thing about Linux?  

As for users, yes Linux is even more dangerous for stupid users.   If a user look through forums and start executing commands post in those forums.. he might ended wiping his drive.  Suppose he saw something like this:  to improve the performance of your operating system, sudo rm -rf /

And suppose a stupid user unleash a virus on his computer.  The virus is stuck on his computer unable to move to any other computers.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 06:10:53 PM by jbutton »

jbutton

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 06:12:35 PM »
The market share argument is nonsense.

There are more macs now than in the 90s.  Yet, there are no virus for mac now but there were many in the 90s.  It's simply because it is harder to write say virus for the current mac than the old macs.  A virus simply can't propagate on a unix like operating system.

jbutton

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 06:17:46 PM »
I love windows.  O0 jbutton made himself seem like a pro but cant even handle windows. What does that really say about him? :2funny:

I love windows when it comes to gaming. 

But hate it when it comes to user interface and security.

Advertisements