Advertisement

Author Topic: East of Eden  (Read 4883 times)

Offline Solemn Wind

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
East of Eden
« on: December 12, 2010, 03:14:42 PM »
After I read "The Brothers Karamazov" and then "Les Miserables" there was a deep and profound sadness in me because so many of the books I read afterward for so many years didn't come close to matching those two. I've read so many books after those two, including both classics and contemporary and everything in the publishing world. There were some good and even some really great ones too...but none came close to "The Brothers Karamazov" and "Les Miserables."

That is until "East of Eden" came along. I can feel alive and hopeful again. :)

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

BeautifulDisaster

Re: East of Eden
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 02:44:28 PM »
East of Eden has to be my all-time favorite book. Its timeless & quite intoxicating, if you ask me. I find myself going back to this book everytime I am left no with no other books to read...as some books do bore me to pieces...  ;D ;D Im reading this book at the moment too and am almost done.  :) Another book I  recommend : "Fall on Your Knees" by Anne-Marie Macdonal

go-go

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 03:12:29 PM »
So, you were alive in the 19th Century when The Brother's Karamazov and Les Miserables were published and you felt profound sadness because no other books came close to these two great literature until East of Eden, which was published in the 20th Century, came along?

:D

Just messin' with ya.  I'm sure that is not what you meant, but that is how your post would be taken into context. We get a sense of what you were saying though.  

After I read "The Brothers Karamazov" and then "Les Miserables" there was a deep and profound sadness in me because so many of the books I read afterward for so many years didn't come close to matching those two. I've read so many books after those two, including both classics and contemporary and everything in the publishing world. There were some good and even some really great ones too...but none came close to "The Brothers Karamazov" and "Les Miserables."

That is until "East of Eden" came along. I can feel alive and hopeful again. :)

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 03:27:32 PM by go-go »

Offline Solemn Wind

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 03:44:59 PM »
So, you were alive in the 19th Century when The Brother's Karamazov and Les Miserables were published and you felt profound sadness because no other books came close to these two great literature until East of Eden, which was published in the 20th Century, came along?

:D

Just messin' with ya.  I'm sure that is not what you meant, but that is how your post would be taken into context. We get a sense of what you were saying though. 

Whatever go-go dancer. ::)

sprite

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 08:48:28 PM »
I realize you can't go wrong with the classics and that is why they are THE classics. Try these on for size:

Oliver Twist
Heidi
The Secret Garden
A Little Princess
Black Beauty
A Tale of Two Cities
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Anne of Green Gables

xoniuqe

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 11:14:01 PM »
I realize you can't go wrong with the classics and that is why they are THE classics. Try these on for size:

Oliver Twist
Heidi
The Secret Garden
A Little Princess
Black Beauty
A Tale of Two Cities
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Anne of Green Gables

O0

A Tale of Two Cities has got to be my all time favorite!

zena

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 04:12:06 PM »
East of Eden crept under my skin.  I'll never forget Cathy. 

Great Expectations, Brave New World, and Memoir of a Geisha are my top favorites.  There are others but I can't think of them right now.

I just finished a memoir called Fierce Attachments by Vivian Gornick.  It was good.  Lot of s.exual things but overall, very interesting and the writing, fabulous.

passingby#2

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 12:53:38 PM »

O0

A Tale of Two Cities has got to be my all time favorite!

I am just reading that book now.  I been wanting to read this book sooner but there are sooooooooooooo oooo many good books these days that I just want to read everything!!

Advertisements