Advertisement

Author Topic: HTC EVO 3D 4G  (Read 5872 times)

Gutts

HTC EVO 3D 4G
« on: May 23, 2011, 06:41:20 PM »
Just pre-ordered mine from the Sprint store.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline D3uc3

• PH Regular
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Re: HTC EVO 3D 4G
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 06:52:31 PM »
How much did you put down for the pre-order? And did you asked them how much the phone will going to cost?

Deuce.....

Gutts

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 08:39:43 PM »
$50 bucks in exchange for a $50 gift card.

They wouldn't reveal the cost.

Offline D3uc3

• PH Regular
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 09:13:53 PM »
Why didnt you pre-order at bestbuy, that case you can get the instant rebate instead of the usual mail in rebate.

Deuce.....

N`Chync

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 06:52:24 AM »
This is pretty much the Evo 4G with a "3D" screen. I'd rather go with Galaxy S2. That thing is killing all other Android phones.

Gutts

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 06:54:44 AM »
I just like HTC more

N`Chync

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 07:14:05 AM »
Yea not impressed with the "3D" displays. I like HTC but they need to step it up.

N`Chync

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 06:57:07 AM »
Evo 3D might be shipping out June 24.

Gutts

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 07:00:01 AM »
That's what they're saying.  HTC also announced that they will no longer be locking bootloaders too :D.

Gutts

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 07:27:07 AM »
Sprint officially announced the release date.

June 24th

N`Chync

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 02:18:29 PM »
U really excited for this one

N`Chync

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 05:31:41 AM »
BoyGeniusRepor t

The HTC EVO 4G is definitely one of Sprint’s most popular smartphones. In fact, even almost a year after its release, it’s still selling like hotcakes. Sprint faced serious demand issues with the EVO 4G well after the launch, and the nation’s first 4G smartphone is still one of the best. Let’s talk about the HTC EVO 3D, though. The follow up to the original HTC EVO 4G is packed to the brim with features, and will be the first 3D-capable device on the market when it launches. Is the HTC EVO 3D a better phone than the original EVO 4G? Does the addition of a 3D display add real value to the phone or is it just a headache-inducing novelty, as it is on other portable devices? Hit the break to find out.

Hardware / Display

The HTC EVO 3D builds on the original EVO 4G in every way possible. It’s thinner, it feels better in the hand, and it’s way more powerful. While the first EVO featured a 1GHz processor, the EVO 3D runs a smoking 1.2GHz dial-core Qualcomm CPU with a 4.3-inch 960 x 540 qHD display, dual 5-megapixel cameras around back for 3D photo and HD video capture, 1080p HD video playback, a front-facing camera, and a whopping 1,730 mAh battery.

The device stays true to some of the first EVO’s styling cues while introducing a much more refined, almost retro look if you will — at least from the back. The front of the device sports an anodized black aluminum frame and the Android menu buttons below the screen look almost identical to the original 4G device. An addition this time around is a dedicated two-step camera shutter button on the right side complete with 2D / 3D switch to toggle 3D capture for photos and video. While a dedicated camera shutter button is great, I’d actually have preferred one a little smaller, as I hold the device in my right hand mainly when I’m using it and the shutter button can get in the way sometimes.

You’ll also find a volume up/down key on the right side. On the left side you’ll see a lone microUSB port, and toward the top of the EVO 3D there’s a 3.5mm headset jack and a power button. Unfortunately, the power button has little to no tactile feedback, and it makes locking and unlocking the EVO 3D somewhat tedious. The EVO 3D feels incredibly solid and well-built though, and while the diagonal grooved pattern on the rear battery cover could be considered distracting at times, it feels worlds better than the EVO 4G.

The display on the HTC EVO 3D is an interesting subject. On one hand the display is pretty sharp, colors look great, and it’s decently bright. On the other, because of the 3D stereoscopic screen overlay, it’s not as sharp as other HTC devices like the Sensation 4G. More on that shortly.

Software

The EVO 3D runs HTC’s latest Sense 3.0 user interface, which is identical to the HTC Sensation 4G I recently reviewed. As such, there’s not much need to go over everything again. In the case of Sprint’s new EVO, Sense blends its nifty 3D effect with an actual 3D-capable display making for a much more cohesive experience for consumers. I was actually a tad bit disappointed that more of the device wasn’t “3D” at first , as I figured HTC and Sprint would extend the 3D capabilities beyond just photo / video capture, and video playback. Instead, I haven’t noticed much if any difference between the Sensation 4G and the EVO 3D as far as HTC’s UI is concerned. Regardless, the 3D effects on HTC Sense 3.0 are decent enough.

3D

While 3D televisions are still lackluster, glasses-free 3D works much better on a mobile device in my opinion. One of the great things about the EVO 3D is that the screen doesn’t require you to wear glasses to view 3D content (can you imagine having to wear a pair of 3D glasses when looking at your smartphone?). The stereoscopic screen is decent. It’s two panels that make one, in straight up terms, and you have to have a perfect viewing angle in the middle of the device for it to work, otherwise you’ll see two images overlaid on each other and won’t get the actual 3D effect.

After using the device for around 10 minutes on and off, I finally got the hang of the perfect positioning, and 3D content looks good, not great. The effect seems pretty natural, though the screen itself has what looks like ridged scan lines running through the display. It’s not always overly noticeable, but I’m someone who notices something if it’s off by a pixel, and this screen sort of looks like those old hologram baseball cards that you’d turn left to right to see an animated scene.

As far as the 3D content, you have the ability to capture 5-megapixel images in 3D or 720p HD video in 3D. With an HDMI-out port that also doubles as a microUSB port, throwing your 3D content onto a 3D-capable TV or display couldn’t be easier: just connect that micro-HDMI cable and you’re good to go. I like the ability to sort of future-proof your content by taking 3D stills and videos.

The EVO 3D also comes preloaded with The Green Hornet movie in HTC’s Watch movie service for free, though I couldn’t get it to load no matter how hard I tried. I kept getting a “downloading license” message and no movie, but hopefully this issue is ironed out ahead of launch. There’s also a 3D Spiderman game that looks pretty decent, though it’s more of an arcade-style ordeal. Besides other 3D games available to purchase from Gameloft, YouTube now supports 3D content on the EVO 3D, and there is a little icon next to the video letting you know it’s available in 3D.

Phone / Speakerphone

Using the phone on the EVO 3D hasn’t been the best experience. Phone calls sounded distorted most of the time with the earpiece speaker, callers sounded hollow and thin, and volume wasn’t too great either. Signal reception is a different story, as the EVO 3D performs great in this department. Sprint service typically isn’t incredible, but the way the EVO 3D latches onto signals make it that much better.

The rear speaker on the EVO 3D performs pretty well. It’s pretty loud, though it lacks some low and mid-range oomph and it lacks projection as well. The speakerphone fares about the same — it’s loud, but not that loud, and it’s a little flat.

Battery

The EVO 3D packs a huge 1,730 mAh battery, and while you’d think that was enough, you kind of have to think again with a 4G-capable device. In 3G mode the EVO lasts for up to a day with moderately-heavy usage. With 4G WiMAX on and connected, however, that quickly drops to around 4-5 hours of on and off usage. It’s better than the first EVO, but it’s definitely not ideal. If you don’t live in a 4G service area, the EVO 3D should be able to get your through a day under normal circumstances. Light up 4G, and you’ll probably have to recharge some time in the early afternoon unless your phone just sits idle on your desk all day.

Conclusion

HTC’s EVO 3D is the first device to hit the market in the U.S. with a stereoscopic 3D display, but that’s just an added feature. At the end of the day, the EVO 3D is a better, faster, thinner, lighter, and more capable EVO 4G. The battery life is slightly better, the screen has been improved, there’s a dual-core 1.2GHz processor, 1080p HD video capture, and plenty more. The 3D part is just a nice add-on.

I actually liked being able to take photos and videos in 3D and play them back right on the device. I also enjoyed hooking the phone up to my 3D television and playing back the content in 3D. Like I said earlier, I like future-proofing content, and I’d rather have 3D content that 2D content if I can.

It took a couple days for the HTC EVO 3D to grow on me — from the build and design, to the user interface, to the 3D aspect — but after spending a week with it, I can confidently say this is my favorite Sprint phone, hands down. The Motorola Photon 4G is interesting, and from what I saw I liked it a lot. The EVO 3D, however, offers a complete end-to-end Android experience with HTC’s Sense 3.0 UI, and coupled with improvements in every area over the original EVO 4G, plus the ability to capture and view 3D content, it makes for one hell of a compelling package.

The HTC EVO 3D will be available from Sprint for $199 with two-year agreement starting June 24th.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 05:07:42 PM by N`Chync »

N`Chync

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 01:00:46 PM »
HTC EVO 3D review
By Myriam Joire
Jun 15, 2011 7:41PM

The first time we saw the rumored Supersonic we were blown away. HTC and Google had just wowed us with the Nexus One, and here we were looking at something even better -- a 4.3-inch phone with WiMAX wrapped in a white body. This prototype was buggy and had abysmal battery life, but it was real. Four months later it landed in our hands at Google I/O. We're of course talking about the EVO 4G which went on to become a runaway hit for HTC and Sprint as the first ever 4G smartphone in the US. And here we are a year later with the HTC EVO 3D, the legitimate heir to Sprint's mobile kingdom -- at least until the Motorola Photon 4G comes along. When we first played with the 3D-capable handset at CTIA we were suitably impressed, but we left with a lot of unanswered questions. How do the 1.2GHz dual core processor and qHD display affect battery life? Is 3D a compelling feature or just a gimmick? What is 2D camera performance like with the lower specced camera? Is the EVO 3D a worthy replacement for the EVO 4G? Find out in our review after the break.

Launch Photo Gallery

Hardware

Glancing at the front of the EVO 3D, it's easy to mistake it for last year's EVO 4G or the more recent Incredible 2. It combines design elements from both, like the angular edges and silver ringed capacitive keys of its precursor along with the soft curves and beveled earpiece of its Verizon cousin. But it's not until you notice the silver grating missing from the earpiece, and discover the silver 2D / 3D mode switch plus the large machined aluminum camera button on the right edge that you realize this is a completely different beast. The EVO 3D is a little taller than the EVO 4G, but narrower thanks to a different screen aspect ratio -- 16:9 vs. 5:3. It's also a little thinner than its predecessor which, combined with the difference in width, makes the new handset a better fit in the hand. Like the Incredible 2, the bezel is made from some kind of black anodized alloy and incorporates the earpiece, complete with a concealed notification light. Instead of hiding under the screen glass, the 1.3 megapixel front-facing camera lives on the bezel to the right of the earpiece. A sheet of Gorilla glass protects the 4.3-inch qHD capacitive touchscreen and includes silk-screened HTC and Sprint logos at top in addition to the capacitive buttons (home, menu, back, and search) at the bottom.

Turn the phone over and "whoa!" -- watch the magic as people react in awe (or is it fear?) to the massive camera pod sprouting from the back of the EVO 3D. The pod, with its twin 5 megapixel autofocus cameras and dual-LED flash, easily takes up one fifth of the back cover's real estate. It features a tasteful red aluminum rim that also conceals the (loud, clear, if not a bit tinny) speaker, and reminds us of the red trim piece around the EVO 4G's camera. We're unable to determine if the camera pod is covered in glass or high-quality plastic, but unlike the recessed camera opening on the Sensation, it protrudes such that it's likely to get scratched in day-to-day use. In fact, it's almost impossible to pull the EVO 3D out of a pocket without leaving fingerprints on the camera pod. The back cover is made of a matte black soft-touch plastic that wraps around the edges of the handset. It's mostly covered in a grippy textured pattern and adorned with a large shiny HTC logo. The top edge is home to the power / lock button, a standard 3.5mm headphone jack surrounded by a lovely silver ring, and a secondary mic. At the bottom, you'll find the primary mic along with a slot to pry the back cover off. The left edge is devoid of anything other than the combined HDMI/micro-USB (MHL?) connector. On the right side there's a volume rocker plus the aforementioned 2D / 3D mode switch and that delightfully beefy machined aluminum camera key.

While the EVO 3D looks solidly built and feels substantial (it weighs about the same as its precursor), the materials used fail to convey the same sense of quality as the Sensation. The volume rocker and power / lock button, which are a part of the back cover, have an unpleasant, mushy feel. It's also far too easy to trigger the power / lock key and accidentally turn the phone on (it lacks the safety delay found on other recent HTC handsets). Removing the back cover reveals the same translucent black chassis as the Incredible 2, a generous 1730mAh battery, and a microSD card slot containing an 8GB Class 4 card. Gone are the EVO 4G's red innards and signature kickstand -- there's just no room for it.

Spec-wise the EVO 3D is similar to the Sensation. It uses the same 1.2GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon CPU and Adreno 220 GPU, but features 1GB of RAM (up from 768MB) and is paired with a dual-mode GSM/CDMA radio (MSM8660 vs. MSM8260). As expected, Quadrant scores hover in the 2000 range -- that's double what we measured on the EVO 4G, despite pushing 35% more pixels. The phone is equipped with a 4.3" 16:9 qHD (960 x 540 pixel) Super LCD display, and other than supporting glasses-free stereoscopic content, the EVO 3D screen appears to be identical to the Sensation's in terms of brightness, color saturation, black levels and viewing angles. It's not the best qHD display we've come across (that title belongs to the Motorola Droid X2) and it's even outclassed by some WVGA screens (Samsung's Super AMOLED Plus and the Incredible 2's Super LCD come to mind), but other than washing out in direct sunlight it gets the job done. You'll find a full complement of radios on board, including WiMAX, CDMA / EV-DO Rev. A, WiFi b/g/n, Bluetooth 3.0, GPS / AGPS, as well as FM -- along with the usual plethora of sensors (light, proximity, orientation, accelerometer, magnetometer, and gyroscope).

Although we didn't experience any problems with call quality and reception, we also didn't see WiMAX perform significantly better than HSPA+ on other carriers -- at least not in San Francisco where it's often difficult to find a strong signal. WiMAX works best outdoors (since 2.5GHz radio waves are more sensitive to obstacles and interference) and locking onto a signal usually requires staying stationary for a minute. We noticed this with the EVO 4G and the Epic 4G last year, but without other "4G" technologies to compare WiMAX to, we simply accepted the status quo. Things are different now that HSPA+ and LTE are viable alternatives -- WiMAX is suddenly less compelling. Power efficiency is another concern. As more carriers deploy HSPA+ and LTE networks, chip manufacturers are more likely to integrate those radios at the SoC level, while WiMAX continues to require a separate radio.

Which brings us to battery life, or the lack thereof. After topping off the EVO 3D, it only took 14 hours and 44 minutes to drain the beefy 1730mAh battery down to 7%. We barely used the handset during that time -- we made a 15-minute call and slept 6 hours. The rest of it was spent taking a half-dozen pictures, and occasionally checking three email accounts plus one Twitter account with all the radios enabled (save for Bluetooth). This is particularly surprising when you consider the Sensation's stellar battery life. 3D photography is particularly taxing on the battery. We saw the charge level drop from full to 60% in about an hour and a half during which we snapped about 80 photos and captured four short videos (about half of this content was in 3D). So, whatever you do, be prepared to bring a charger along with that EVO 3D.

Cameras and 3D

One thing is clear. It's hard to escape the gaze of those red-rimmed cyborg eyes the moment you see them. It's like catching a glance of the Terminator, but knowing you'll live. Yes, Skynet is watching you in three dee now. Indeed, everyone immediately notices the twin 5 megapixel autofocus cameras and dual LED flash, and it's no surprise -- stereoscopic imaging is the EVO 3D's raison d'ĂȘtre. Unfortunately, it's also the source of many compromises, and not just for 3D. Both cameras share what appears to be a decent quality 5 megapixel sensor with better than average low-light performance and low noise. The limiting factor here is the optics -- not the autofocus lenses per se, but the panel protecting the camera pod. We're still not sure if it's made of glass or optical grade plastic, but it causes noticeable halos in the periphery of images containing bright light. While color balance is generally accurate, light metering is hit and miss. For some reason, the issue is exacerbated when snapping 2D pictures. Only the left camera (when facing the screen) is used for 2D shots, and scenes with a wide dynamic range are often over- or under-exposed. Unlike the EVO 4G, there's no spot, center, or average setting to control how light is metered.

Launch Photo Gallery

Macro photography, while possible in 3D, produces results which are impossible to display properly because the two cameras are too far apart (3.25cm to be exact) when capturing closeups. Another limitation of 3D is that the cameras are disabled if the phone is not held in the horizontal position and in the landscape orientation. You can't gather creative stereoscopic images which, when viewed, would be the equivalent of holding your head sideways. And if you're an astronaut (or other space faring creature), you'll likely run into trouble when taking pictures with the EVO 3D in zero gravity -- you've been warned. Strangely, while both cameras feature 5 megapixel sensors, 3D photos consist of a pair of 2 megapixel widescreen stills (that's 1920x1080 pixels each). Also, zooming is not supported when capturing 3D content. Finally, forget shooting in 3D when the battery charge drops below 15%: it's simply disabled. Of course, none of these limitations apply in 2D and images are captured at full resolution (2560 x 1920 pixels). As you'll notice in our sample gallery, the resulting pictures are adequate but don't show any improvements over HTC's existing 5 megapixel devices when it comes to 2D imaging performance. If anything, quality suffers from the poor optics and exposure problems.

3D images can be saved in either MPO or JPS formats, the latter being easier to view and edit since it basically places the left and right pictures side-by-side into a single JPEG file containing additional metadata. Video is captured smoothly in HD at 720p and 30fps, then encoded using standard H264 -- there's no 1080p support for 2D, despite what's listed in the specs. When recording in 3D the left and right frames are combined and squeezed into 1280x720 pixels by a software process not unlike the anamorphic technique used to fit widescreen content onto 35mm film. The net result is that each original frame is stored using only 640x720 pixels, effectively halving the resolution of the final video. Touch-to-focus plus initial autofocus are available when recording video, and the audio is captured in stereo. In terms of camera interface, there's a silver 2D / 3D sliding switch that selects the shooting mode and a large dedicated 2-stage machined aluminum shutter key that's one of the best we've ever used on any handset -- it provides the right amount of tactile feedback and stiffness without blurring shots. Kudos to HTC for nailing something that should be standard on all phones. The rest of the UI is identical to what we saw on the Sensation. It's pretty intuitive and includes touch-to-focus, face detection and color effects.

Update: Just to be 100% clear, contrary to the published specs, the EVO 3D does not support 1080p video recording in 2D. The highest setting is 720p (see here and here). We have confirmed this with other reviewers and have reached out to Sprint for clarification. We'll keep you posted.

Launch Photo Gallery

Sadly, whether monitoring the live view in 3D or watching stereoscopic content, the EVO 3D's qHD touchscreen is a mixed bag. In addition to washing out in direct sunlight, many people have problems seeing the 3D effect on the display even after being coached to slowly pan sideways until the 3D photos or videos "pop" into place. To make matters worse, the 3D effect looks blurry at the left and right edges of the screen, and pinch-to-zoom switches the display back to 2D. MPO files and 3D videos were handled properly by the Sharp 3D TV we tried, but none of our 3D content worked on the Nintendo 3DS. We were able to convert the original JPS files into the anaglyph images shown in our sample gallery by using a simple 3-step Photoshop process. We were also able to upload and watch 3D videos on YouTube by tweaking a few simple settings to generate anaglyph videos. Old-school red / cyan 3D glasses are required to view this type of content. But ultimately, while 3D is fun and whimsical, we can't help but think it's just a gimmick. As it is today, the EVO 3D's dual cameras suffer from too many compromises that affect the quality of both 2D and 3D imaging.

Software

The EVO 3D runs HTC's Sense 3.0 UI on top of Android 2.3.3, just like its sibling, the Sensation. As we mentioned in that review, performance is top notch. Qualcomm's 1.2GHz dual-core Snapdragon SoC is a force to be reckoned with, and takes Gingerbread to an entirely new level of fluidity. Everything from the basic UI to the web browser to maps is utterly buttery smooth. There is no delay, no hesitation -- just pure instant tactile gratification. Still, there's no escaping Sense, and we're not fans. As far as pigs and lipstick go, Sense 3.0 wears a professional makeup job. Other than adding instant access to the camera from the lock screen, it's mostly style over substance, fancy 3D effects on top of functionality that already exists in Gingerbread. A long time ago, in a land far away, Sense made, well... sense. It added important missing features to the OS. But today we'll take plain Android over Sense -- and its frustrating keyboard layout -- any day. We realize some people actually enjoy Sense and we commend HTC for creating a unique and consistent user experience across its device lineup. Just let us turn it off, or provide us with official Sense-free ROMs.

Bad news: there is crapware. Good news: most of it can be removed easily. We have to give Sprint credit for keeping pre-installed apps to a minimum, and even including content that actually adds value (gasp!) to the EVO 3D. You'll find some apps that you'd probably want anyway, such as Adobe Reader, Amazon MP3, Polaris Office, Qik Video, and Swype. Others, like NASCAR, Sprint Mobile, Sprint Radio, Sprint TV & Movies, Sprint Zone (possibly useful to manage your account), and TeleNav are less attractive. What's more interesting is the bundling of games and movies that take advantage of that stereoscopic display. 3D Games currently points to a website showcasing titles for the EVO 4G -- we presume this will be updated with EVO 3D-specific games before launch. Ditto Blockbuster, which is eventually supposed to offer 3D movies for download. Spider-Man is a 3D version of Gameloft's popular game while The Green Hornet 3D launches HTC's Watch service to access the movie. We're curious to see how much additional 3D content becomes available for the EVO 3D once it's in circulation. Will developers join the party and build 3D-capable apps and web services?

Wrap up

The EVO 3D is a well made handset that improves upon the EVO 4G in terms of raw horsepower -- as such, it lives up to its flagship status. That being said, it's also a step back in some areas (the lack of kickstand comes to mind). While the qHD screen provides a welcome boost in pixel density, the overall display performance still lags behind the competition. Sense 3.0 leaves us cold, and now that other carriers are rolling out HSPA+ and LTE networks, WiMAX no longer feels like the new kid on the block. Despite the EVO 3D's 1.2GHz dual-core processor, the camera strangely lacks 1080p support, and the EVO 4G arguably captures nicer stills thanks to better optics and firmware. But our biggest gripe with the EVO 3D is its terrible battery life, which is even worse than what we observed on the already lackluster EVO 4G. As for 3D, we're not convinced it's fully baked yet -- right now it feels like a gimmick, but we're willing to wait and see how it develops beyond the initial "gee wiz" phase. Ultimately, we've come to think of the EVO 3D as a Sensation with a lesser camera, cheaper materials, worse battery life, and without the ability to roam worldwide. But hey, it's got 3D and the best dedicated two-stage camera button that's ever graced a phone. That's gotta be worth something, right?

N`Chync

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 05:06:11 PM »
Beginning of the video shows the auto dim is at least 15 seconds. The Evo 3D display just isn't as good as the Droid X2 and none of them come close to the Super AMOLED Plus or Retina Display.

N`Chync

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 03:55:16 AM »
That is your opinion of course. Others don't like Super AMOLED because the colors, although bright, they don't look real. Retina, I don't know about because I've never used it. But I have used Super AMOLED, and that is my opinion too. Of course, anything iPhone, I'd expect you to rave about more. I'm sure you like Apple's new invention of the pull down notification bar... lol

Maybe the beginning auto dim may be 15 seconds, but when she compared to the droid x2, at time frame 20:00 minutes+, you can even count. The moment she turns on the display, to the moment she starts tilting it, to the moment the display goes off. You won't get 15 seconds. It should take some time before it dims, then some time before it actually turns off. But to do both that under 15 seconds? Come on. And seriously, the droid x2's screen looked too bright, almost whited out. And the evo 3d looks to be dimmed atleast 50%. If you think that was a fair comparison, you're pretty silly.

But I've known you for quite a while, and you've always been biased. So I didn't expect any different comment from you.

I honestly am not too excited about the E3D, because it really doesn't wow me. 3D stuff will probably get me dizzy anyways, as reports have been that people have gotten headaches from it. But that won't stop me from getting it because I'm a power freak. The dual core, ram/rom, is enough for me to wanna upgrade. Also, one thing that isn't reviewable by technology sites out there, is the development community of HTC phones. Motorola has lost a lot of business due to not embracing the development community. They have acknowledged it by changing their stand on encrypted bootloaders for future devices (2012+). Samsung has embraced the development community, but their phones have a lot of firmware issues and software updates aren't a priority. Samsung's current NS4G is currently battling radio firmware issues, and although their device is pretty good, the cell connectivity issues are pissing people off. The newer Nexus S II is coming to the US soon, and their specs are great, benchmarks are way better than the evo 3d, but people may not chance bad radio firmware, and or lack of software updates/support. Samsung is on the up though, as recently, they gave a free NSII to a cyanogenmod developer, so that he can help with developing cyanogenmod to support NSII. Kinda cool. They might be a force to recon with in the future, if they can hire some good firmware programmers.

Anyhow, these are not copy/pastes from technology sites, these are my opinions and my knowledge, from being part of the development community.

And for anyone's info... the HTC EVO, is the top selling sprint phone out there. Funny thing also is that there are quite a bit of Hmong people with the HTC EVO. I have personally helped about 20 or so people root their EVO4G's. It seriously is a great phone, even at today's standards. (even though it's a year old). Most of the early flaws have been fixed, and it's a pretty smooth experience now for EVO users.

I'm banking on that same thing for the upcoming evo3d.

Biased? So since I'm the "Apple" guy me agreeing that another Android (non-Apple) had a better screen. Sure I see how that works. Anyways I said Super AMOLED Plus not Super AMOLED and plus I been runnning with Galaxy S for a long time now. I like how u defend the Evo 3D just to say ur not excited about it. And it's not Nexus S 2. It's Galaxy S2. Samsung is also the leading Android pack. But yea I'm not looking forward to this phone. 3D displays doesn't do it for me. I like the HTC Sensation 4G and it looks nice.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 04:27:56 AM by N`Chync »

Advertisements