Advertisement

Author Topic: Shattered my IPHONE4 Screen  (Read 2368 times)

cali_lady

Shattered my IPHONE4 Screen
« on: June 14, 2011, 12:37:23 PM »
Dropped my phone a few times already and nothing happened until yesterday…dropped it on a rock pavement and the glass cracked and shattered near the bottom section next to the button..

Took it to the Apple store, the Customer service guy (who was rude)told me that it was going to cost $199.99 to replace it! And I’m thinking to myself..WTF! just for this piece of glass in the front?

Btw, before I went in, I kinda google what other options I have …one was to buy an aftermarket piece off of ebay or elsewhere out there to replace it since it’s only the top glass that was shattered..and nothing else…the phone still works fine, it’s just a shattered/spider like glass that I can’t really glide my fingers back and forth on..

Two, to buy a brand new iphone so I can still keep this one for one of my family members if they do decide on activating an iphone but w/ buying a new aftermarket glass piece to replace the shattered glass…

So after much hassle, the customer service guy told me that he can replace it this one time for free and that usually they do not cover for human accidental errors…so he gave me a new phone

So to my relief, I was satisfied, except for that the guy did not want to help me sync anything from the old phone to the new phone and expected that I had already synced everything up to date..…(i went to the store right after work only and did not know that I will need to sync anything for I thought they would just replace my screen instead of handing me a new iphone-i know...my fault...but at least he could've assisted me >:( )

Prior to going into the store,  I’ve already read something on the Apple Q&A website that they are willing to replace this shattered glass for free the first time…I’m not sure if they are willing to do it anything after that…

Can someone shed some light? What if dropped my phone in water? Will they be willing to replace it?
And just for backup…what are some good websites to get an aftermarket screen in case this happens again…

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Peachy Fish

Re: Shattered my IPHONE4 Screen
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 12:39:29 PM »
Cali_lady, there are stores that have the resources to fix your iPhone's screen. My sister dropped her iPhone3 3x already and only paid around $60 to fix it each time.

cali_lady

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 12:43:38 PM »
Cali_lady, there are stores that have the resources to fix your iPhone's screen. My sister dropped her iPhone3 3x already and only paid around $60 to fix it each time.

i thought about that, but i figured...i might as well try out the Apple store to see if they were willing to give me a new phone...

i played dumb and asked the guy if they had any after market screens out there after he told me the price to replace this shattered screen of mine…and he said, no, there is no such thing… ::)

I walked out of the Apple store and thought to myself and went back to have him sync my contacts since I don’t remembered when I last sync my phone onto my computer….so he was willing to sync my Contacts…but all my 400+ pictures were lost… :'(  since I think they put my old phone into a box to be shipped back somewhere…and I didn’t have a chance to delete anything…

Peachy Fish

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 12:45:23 PM »
Aw. Well, maybe your family and friends will have some of those pictures, too, but I hope your phone is fixed soon.  :)

cali_lady

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 12:58:42 PM »
Aw. Well, maybe your family and friends will have some of those pictures, too, but I hope your phone is fixed soon.  :)

oh it's fixed..they gave me another iphone :P...i don't think they will give me back my old phone anymore...

oh well, no more shattered screen

Pain

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 03:12:29 PM »
1.  Apple is not responsible for any data loss nor will that backup or sync your data for you.  That is your responsibility .  The liability is just too much of a hassle.

2.  iPhones that have physical or water damage are typically $199 to replace at the Apple Store.  Its possible for them to replace certain parts such as only the screen which may cost $60-$150 depending on what needs to be fixed.  However this would depend on the type of inspection or damage your phone has.  If it has any type of separation, or in pieces its considered BER=beyond economical repair and they will not offer any type of repair.

3.  In most cases its more economical to swap out a phone rather than fix a damage screen as fixing a screen does not guarantee that the phone will continue to work or may fail afterwards.  Its also more cost effective for them for swap.

4.  BUY A PROTECTIONS SCREEN SHIELD AND CASE FOR YOUR iPHONE!  And you wont have this issue to begin with.

cali_lady

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 04:18:28 PM »
1.  Apple is not responsible for any data loss nor will that backup or sync your data for you.  That is your responsibility .  The liability is just too much of a hassle.

2.  iPhones that have physical or water damage are typically $199 to replace at the Apple Store.  Its possible for them to replace certain parts such as only the screen which may cost $60-$150 depending on what needs to be fixed.  However this would depend on the type of inspection or damage your phone has.  If it has any type of separation, or in pieces its considered BER=beyond economical repair and they will not offer any type of repair.

3.  In most cases its more economical to swap out a phone rather than fix a damage screen as fixing a screen does not guarantee that the phone will continue to work or may fail afterwards.  Its also more cost effective for them for swap.

4.  BUY A PROTECTIONS SCREEN SHIELD AND CASE FOR YOUR iPHONE!  And you wont have this issue to begin with.

Regarding #2, my friend dropped her iphone various times in the water and everytime she takes it back (3x already) Apple was always willing to replace it w/ another iphone…isn’t their #1 motto…somewhat to the effect of providing satisfied customer service?

N`Chync

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 05:56:06 AM »
Syncing to ur own computer keeps everything backed up. Once u sync to a new computer it wipes ur apps and music.

Offline Hatake

• PH Regular
  • Today I Got Lost On The Road To Life...
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 06:13:12 AM »
It all depend who you get to helP you. I work for Att warranty service and sometime I will replace a device as a courtesy if they are nice and courtesy to me. O0

N`Chync

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 08:04:12 AM »
Where do u work at?

Offline Hatake

• PH Regular
  • Today I Got Lost On The Road To Life...
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 11:30:29 AM »
Where do u work at?
A device support center in Fresno,ca. We deal with the manufacture one year warranty. No iPhone support though.

Pain

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 11:41:28 AM »
Regarding #2, my friend dropped her iphone various times in the water and everytime she takes it back (3x already) Apple was always willing to replace it w/ another iphone…isn’t their #1 motto…somewhat to the effect of providing satisfied customer service?

I use to work for Apple.

This is ignorance on their part.  If I was the Genius Tech I would've denied you a replacement after the 2nd time.  1st timers may get a good will gesture replacement.  They document this and know when you swap phones.  So if you keep doing it they will get suspicious.  They are supposed to actually test or even visually open the iPhone for inspection of possible liquid damage.  However the iPhone has what they call LCI, liquid contact indicators that trigger in red.  Sometimes they may not trigger properly until after 24-36 hours.  The techs are supposed to check the internal LCI for liquid damage and corrosion.

They provide excellent customer service for people who actually have real issues with their phones, not accidental or caused issues where its not covered actually cost Apple money.  No one covers that under warranty unless you have some sort of insurance plan.

Advertisements