Advertisement

Author Topic: Bible Study - Class meets on Thursday from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM CST.  (Read 133109 times)

LadyLionness

Re: Bible Study - Class meets on Thursday from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM CST.
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2012, 12:22:22 PM »
oops, maybe i misunderstood. .. :-\ will go back and reread all the postings....i keep calling someone a ph blondie and now I'm a blondie myself  :2funny:

So, what did you read?  Chapter 1 of Mark is short...

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

WindComeWindBlow

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2012, 12:23:29 PM »
How far are you in your reading?  What have you read already?  And what is the verse about divorces/ marriages?

Had to go back and check.  I stopped at Mark 10.

cali_lady

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2012, 12:29:29 PM »
it's on the hub's phone, but since i have the similiar app...here's a screen shot of what we read thus far...

LadyLionness

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2012, 12:29:35 PM »
If there's no question, I am going to steal some stuff from my Bibles to get us going...

Mark 1:1-8 Talks about John the Baptist.  

Good leaders prepare the way for change.  Since the Jesus would be very different from what everyone expected, John had to get the people ready for this radical shift.  (Note:  Jewish was expected the Messiah to come and save them from Roman oppression.  They were not looking for him to come and save them from Spiritual death.)

John was someone who knew what must happen.  He must be able to pull it off.  And he must be able to take the people with him, in the direction that he wants them to go.

A current example of this is the scenario of the person sitting by the window, the leader in case of an emergency.  The flight attendants always reminded them of the requirements for sitting in the exit row, that they must be able to do the following:

1.  You must be able to understand the instructions concerning the exit door.
2.  You must be able to open the door.
3.  You must be albe to verbally guide others through the door.

LadyLionness

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2012, 12:30:54 PM »
Lolz...

Moscato and I are on Chapter 2... Wind is on Chapter 10, and Cali_Lady is on chapter 4... hehehe....

Anyone else???

cali_lady

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2012, 12:32:11 PM »
Ladylioness, so am i reading the right section?

WindComeWindBlow

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2012, 12:33:55 PM »
Cali, as long as you're reading Mark then you're reading the right section.  :) ;)

LadyLionness

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2012, 12:34:41 PM »
Ladylioness, so am i reading the right section?

Yes, you are.  You are just ahead of us.  If you can bring the app back to chapter 1... and look through the scan through verses 1 - 8 again to see if you have any questions on John's leadership.

cali_lady

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2012, 12:36:44 PM »
Cali, as long as you're reading Mark then you're reading the right section.  :) ;)

k...thanks  ;D

we did had a small group study for the past 2 yrs...but this past Dec. was our last meeting  :'( so i'm glad u gals have this now...

at least i can still continue w/ my walk w/ god... :) and the hub. support it too... O0 thanks all.

LadyLionness

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2012, 12:42:41 PM »
Sometimes, as Christians, especially when we are new Christians, we are under the impression that we must say yes to everything the church ask us to do.... and sometimes end up being burn out.

In Mark 1:32-38, Jesus demonstrates the Law of Priorities - His priorities came from His Heavenly Father.  Jesus did not let the people dictate his agenda.

Jesus often left the demands of His work to come apart and pray.  he used this solitude to regain perspective and once more see the big picture.

1.  In verses 32 - 34, the pressure is on.  the day is over, but the crowds have just begin to make demands.
2.  In verse 35, the paradox is obvious.  Jesus left in the middle of ministry time, with needs unmet.
3.  In the same verse, the point is clear.  Jesus had to pause, leave the people, and replenish His own life.
4.  In vv 36 & 37, theh people are demanding.  Followers hunted for Jesus, reminding Him how much they needed Him.
5.  In v 38, the purpose is delcared.  His Father renewed His pespective and given direction - he is to go and preach in other towns.

So, how will you determine your own daily priorities?

LadyLionness

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2012, 12:43:47 PM »
OK... now that everything is establish, let's begin.

LadyLionness

« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2012, 12:46:48 PM »
I would like to open with a Prayer.

Heavenly Father,

We are grateful for all that you have done, in each of our lives.  Most of all, we are grateful that you have called us to be one of your children.  You are awesome beyond words and we love you.  We are grateful for Christian friends who will travel on this journey with us. 

Father, we will begin our Bible Study Group and I pray that you grant us the gifts of knowledge, wisdom, and discernment.  Lord, please open our eyes, hears, and most importantly, our hearts.

All this I pray, in the name of my Lord and Savior, Christ Jesus.  Amen.

LadyLionness

« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2012, 12:58:09 PM »
I want to share one more thing.  This is from the Max Lucado's Devotional Bible.

Jesus came to be active and compassionate to the people around him.  he exemplified tenderness when he healed the leper by touching him.  Jesus was a master at communicating love and personal acceptance.  We know that Jesus blessed and held the little children, but another time when his sensitivity to touch someone was even more graphic was then he met a grown man's need for meaningful touch, a man who was barred by law from ever touching anyone again...

To touch a leper was unthinkable.  Banishing lepers from society, peole would not get within a stone's throw of them.  (In fact, they would throw stones at them if they did come close!)... With their open sores and firty bandages, lepers were the last persons anyone would wan tto touch.  Yet the first thing Christ did for this man was touch him.

<How profound is that?  What about some of us, who think that our sins are so great, there is no way that God would be able to accept us, let alone have us in Heaven with him for all of eternity?>

Even before Jesus spoke to him, He reached out His hand and touched him.  Can you imagine what that scene must have looked like?  Think how this man must have longed for someone to touch him, not throw stones at him to drive him away.  Jesus could have healed him first and then touch him.  But recognizing his deepest need, Jesus stretched out His hand even before He spoke words of phyisical and spiritual healing.

Jesus shows us the power of gentle compassion.  Who do you have trouble "touching" because they are not attractive in any way?  Compassion requires more than words; compassion requires action.  Look for ways to express compassion to those who are starving for a tender touch.

LadyLionness

« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2012, 01:00:48 PM »
OK, I have a meeting in two minutes, so I am going to close this session with a prayer.

Lord,

We love you and honor you.  Help us to be a light unto others and love hem with a love that is only possible because you have first loved us, totally and unconditionall y.

All this I pray, in the name of my Lord and Savior, Christ Jesus.

Looks like we will be discussing one or two chapters per week.

Thanks for stopping by and see you next time... same place... same time... walk in peace.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 02:27:20 PM by LadyLionness »

WindComeWindBlow

« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2012, 01:01:17 PM »
That was intense.  

Advertisements