Advertisement

Poll

Is listening to an audio book the same as reading it?

Yes
1 (33.3%)
No
2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: If you listen to audio books...  (Read 2605 times)

couchpotato

If you listen to audio books...
« on: March 26, 2012, 01:18:58 AM »
Can you say that you read them?

I was talking to someone about it the other day. They said listening to an audio book is the same as reading it.

I disagreed.

What say you?

Feel free to state why you say yes/no.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
Re: If you listen to audio books...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 08:13:43 PM »
No.

Oh, man, I know that the word listening and the word reading are two different words.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Sleipnir

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 10:46:31 PM »
no...  it's not the same...

i've only done it a few times but that was because i was busy doing something else....  Last summer i was hiking on the north shore and instead of music i was listening to a book i DL'd, and it just wasn't the same as laying down and reading.

prima_donna

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 08:06:52 PM »
No... Its not the same. For me it feels good to hold a book and turn the page. I think Im a visual learner. Seeing the words help me better.

Ive had resort to using audio if I dont have time to read or its a book that was written in Old english.

Sleipnir

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 11:20:45 PM »
No... Its not the same. For me it feels good to hold a book and turn the page. I think Im a visual learner. Seeing the words help me better.

Ive had resort to using audio if I dont have time to read or its a book that was written in Old english.

yah...

There's a movie playing in my head when i'm reading...  also, i like to do my own "casting" when i read....  so i can picture so and so playing the role of this person and i stick to it throughout the book.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 04:25:23 PM »
Not really because I get distracted by the reader's voice. I like to conjure up my own voice for the characters.

HunnayDew

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 04:27:45 PM »
I disliked the thought of having audio book to read, but I'm seriously considering it since life is hitting its busy toll these days. As much as I want to sit down and read all my books, I can't. Gotta listen to them on the go now! I'm really considering it. I disagree that its like reading as well because I just can't seem to use my imagination in the same sense.

nou

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 01:26:13 AM »
I do a lot of mindless work at work, so Audio books are great for me.  Makes time go by faster, especially if it's a good book. =)

But I would say that reading is definitely different from listening.  Imagine if all college books/materials were audio-ed!?  I think majority of students wouldn't go to class at all!

« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 01:28:19 AM by nou »

Advertisements