Advertisement

Author Topic: A Temporary Matter  (Read 4169 times)

eden

A Temporary Matter
« on: April 26, 2012, 06:19:34 PM »
Here I'll be posting bits and pieces of literature that I like. Maybe poems too. Share your favorite passages too if you'd like.

Now it was his turn to speak. There was something he'd sworn he would never tell her, and for six months he had done his best to block it from his mind. Before the ultrasound she had asked the doctor not to tell her the sex of their child, and Shukumar had agreed. She had wanted it to be a surprise.  

Later, those few times they talked about what had happened, she said at least they'd been spared that knowledge. In a way she almost took pride in her decision, for it enabled her to seek refuge in a mystery. He knew that she assumed it was a mystery for him, too. He'd arrived too late from Baltimore — when it was all over and she was lying on the hospital bed. But he hadn't. He'd arrived early enough to see their baby, and to hold him before they cremated him. At first he had recoiled at the suggestion, but the doctor said holding the baby might help him with the process of grieving. Shoba was asleep. The baby had been cleaned off, his bulbous lids shut tight to the world.   

"Our baby was a boy," he said. "His skin was more red than brown. He had black hair on his head. He weighed almost five pounds. His fingers were curled shut, just like yours in the night."   

Shoba looked at him now, her face contorted with sorrow. He had cheated on a college exam, ripped a picture of a woman out of a magazine. He had returned a sweater and got drunk in the middle of the day instead. These were the things he had told her. He had held his son, who had known life only within her, against his chest in a darkened room in an unknown wing of the hospital. He had held him until a nurse knocked and took him away, and he promised himself that day that he would never tell Shoba, because he still loved her then, and it was the one thing in her life that she had wanted to be a surprise.

-Jhumpa Lahiri, "Interpreter of Maladies"

Like this post: +1

Adverstisement

Calypso

Re: A Temporary Matter
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 11:02:24 PM »
 O0 O0 O0

Jhumpa Lahiri is GREAT. I love all her works, and "A Temporary Matter" is my fave short story of hers. I love the subtlety and quiet power in her writings. In fact, I might even consider her to be among the best contemporary writers of our time.

Like this post: 0

eden

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 11:36:41 PM »
O0 O0 O0

Jhumpa Lahiri is GREAT. I love all her works, and "A Temporary Matter" is my fave short story of hers. I love the subtlety and quiet power in her writings. In fact, I might even consider her to be among the best contemporary writers of our time.

I fell in love with her when I first read her book of short stories. However, I was slightly disappointed with her first novel "The Namesake." But I agree that she has a quiet kind of power in her writing.

Calypso

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 11:54:08 PM »

I fell in love with her when I first read her book of short stories. However, I was slightly disappointed with her first novel "The Namesake." But I agree that she has a quiet kind of power in her writing.

Yeah, her novels r not as great as her short story collections.

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
  • Respect: +524
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 12:03:31 PM »
Never heard of Jhumpa Lahiri before.  I will have to check out "A Temporary Matter."  Thanks.

eden

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 12:00:48 AM »
The first time I read this passage a million things ran through my mind --

Which book is it from?

eden

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 12:01:48 AM »
Never heard of Jhumpa Lahiri before.  I will have to check out "A Temporary Matter."  Thanks.

"A Temporary Matter" is a short story in her collection "Interpreter of Maladies."

http://www.amazon.com/Interpreter-Maladies-Jhumpa-Lahiri/dp/039592720X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337922087&sr=8-1

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
  • Respect: +524
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 09:43:57 AM »

"A Temporary Matter" is a short story in her collection "Interpreter of Maladies."

http://www.amazon.com/Interpreter-Maladies-Jhumpa-Lahiri/dp/039592720X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337922087&sr=8-1

Oh, OK.  Thanks for letting me know!  :)

Advertisements