Advertisement

Author Topic: The Hot Zone by Richard Preston  (Read 3190 times)

myang994

The Hot Zone by Richard Preston
« on: January 16, 2013, 07:04:51 PM »
For you scientific people out there, I highly recommend the book The Hot Zone by Richard Preston. If you've always wondered about those crazy scientific experiments where people are in bubble suits, well... this book is based on a true story regarding one of the most lethal pathogen in history. What I like most about this book is that it's easy to understand, and Richard Preston has done a great job in ensuring that there won't be too much jargon in the book allowing for an easy read. It's sort of an older book, but was at one time one of the best selling book. It's been my favorite thus far.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

myang994

Re: The Hot Zone by Richard Preston
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 05:50:15 PM »
I read this book years ago... it's a very interesting read.

I remember for about a week afterwards I was scared I was going to catch ebola somehow.. lol.

If it ever emerges again and is not contained lol this world is doomed...

myang994

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 08:22:18 PM »
I read somewhere that ebola was actually released into a small town to test its effects on people and to see if the u.s. government could efficiently counteract the virus with the vaccine they created.

Or else I saw it in a movie... eh... I don't remember exactly.  ;D

Maybe that's from a movie lol cause if that was true it'll be all over the media.

myang994

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 06:27:48 PM »

.... unless the government covered it up?  :o ;D

I highly doubt it... haha.

prima_donna

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 12:59:46 PM »
I used this book for my ebola virus report. Some of the stuff were exaggerated. The book starts off interesting.. capturing the readers attention.

myang994

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 11:39:17 PM »
Coming from a person within the field I highly doubt that some of the stuff is fictional. After working with BSL 1 and BSL2 pathogens with the opportunity of working with BSL 3 organisms I highly doubt that the book is fictional. I do understand the potency of such bioterrorism should this pathogen be used as a bioweapon. One cannot certainly say H1:N1 is fake for serotype in hemaglutinin and neuraminadase in Flu:human. One cannot certainly say that Ebola Zaire does not use collagen as it's source of adsorption:receptor site, since sporadic hemorrhagic is the source of random bleeding.. after all, collagen is the extracellular matrix that holds together and assists in the localization of erythrocytes within the vascular system. So in essence.... a weakness in collagen from Ebola Zaire = a weakness in endothelial connections which in term is a weakness in the containment of the pressure throughout the vascular system = weakening of the cellular junction = random bleeding = blood coming from all over the face. SUCH AS! Random bleeding with the eyes, nose, skin, cavities etc. etc. etc.... So thus we get a severe pathogenic condition in which, if airborne like i.e. flu, Mycobacterium tuberculosis... may result in a catastrophic pandemic if not contained.

prima_donna

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 04:44:36 AM »
Coming from a person within the field I highly doubt that some of the stuff is fictional. After working with BSL 1 and BSL2 pathogens with the opportunity of working with BSL 3 organisms I highly doubt that the book is fictional. I do understand the potency of such bioterrorism should this pathogen be used as a bioweapon. One cannot certainly say H1:N1 is fake for serotype in hemaglutinin and neuraminadase in Flu:human. One cannot certainly say that Ebola Zaire does not use collagen as it's source of adsorption:receptor site, since sporadic hemorrhagic is the source of random bleeding.. after all, collagen is the extracellular matrix that holds together and assists in the localization of erythrocytes within the vascular system. So in essence.... a weakness in collagen from Ebola Zaire = a weakness in endothelial connections which in term is a weakness in the containment of the pressure throughout the vascular system = weakening of the cellular junction = random bleeding = blood coming from all over the face. SUCH AS! Random bleeding with the eyes, nose, skin, cavities etc. etc. etc.... So thus we get a severe pathogenic condition in which, if airborne like i.e. flu, Mycobacterium tuberculosis... may result in a catastrophic pandemic if not contained.

Internal bleeding and such replication of the celluar matrix. Yes I know that stuff already because I did a report on the Ebola virus for my microbiology class. Ive worked on bacteria and bacteriophages before. I wasn't doubting the gathering statistics nor the symptoms of the disease. Merely I was pointing to the context of the writer and his bit of Hollywood exaggeration. You can read some of the book reviews and see the comments yourself.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16213.The_Hot_Zone

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 04:54:10 AM by prima_donna »

prima_donna

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 05:52:20 AM »
Starts with a headache, becomes a flu-like symptom. Next you'll experience diarrhea, profuse bleeding through the nose, or eye socket. Death most likely unless your immune system is strong enough to fight the viral.

Now lets turn it up a notch, For the readers.
Imagine a flesh-eating virus, something so infested, that once you caught the diease you have only 24 hours to live. It starts from the organ and eat its way out turning your insides into jelly. Next thing you know you're a walking zombie. Blood is gushing out of your face. Your skin starts peeling off.

Just an demostration of how the writer did a good job with the gores and effects. If you didnt get it the first time.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 05:57:51 AM by prima_donna »

Advertisements