Advertisement

Author Topic: Home Theater Cinema  (Read 4284 times)

winerice

Home Theater Cinema
« on: February 28, 2013, 11:28:45 AM »
Doe anyone has a home theater cinema setup? Tell me about your setup, experiences, and how much it cost altogether. I am thinking about setting up one soon. O0

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

sinister357

Re: Home Theater Cinema
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 08:54:54 PM »
i had one setup back when lucas first pioneered dolby on the hi-fi vcr back in 95. ;D no joke. i had a 500 dollar vcr ;D with a 1000 dollar stereo system and another 500 or so on speakers, it was pretty solid for its time. ;D technology (and price) has changed so much, i dont even keep up anymore.

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 09:13:38 PM »
46 inc led tv ($300) + hd atenda ($80)
Speakers+receivers + subwoofer ($550)
Blue Ray player ($40)
Gaming computer (don't know.. not mine) 
Game cube ($50)
--------------------

Total: $1,000.

I regret it.  I hardly watch it.  Sucks to throw money away.  :)
I will sell my system for $1,000 (excludes the gaming computer)

I think the gaming computer, I can probably sell it for $300.
Plays Far Cry 3 at 1080p with high setting smoothly.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 09:20:15 PM by duckwingduck »

JimmyNeutron

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 09:33:19 AM »
At that time I bought it, it was similar or identical to this:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/epic-60-350-home-theater-system - about $2500

Pioneer Elite VXS-something...too lazy to go out and look...second to top of the line in this series at that time. $1500

and rear projector...no outlet in the ceiling for front projector and screen.

Once I have a bigger place, I plan on going for a 7.1 with all separates.  Just no room for all that equipments right now.

Sound???  I think my neighbor next door can hear and feel my bass.  Shit..my whole house shook when LOTR scene shows the witch king riding out and the beam of light shot up to the sky.  That's with the small bass...wait till I get the new sub...either this
http://www.axiomaudio.com/ep-800-subwoofer
or a Velodyne sub.

winerice

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 10:18:39 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys. What i have in mind for a home theater cinema system is a projector, 120" screen and a desktop with sound system. Anyone has this setup?

Offline darkhelmet

• Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 11:18:58 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys. What i have in mind for a home theater cinema system is a projector, 120" screen and a desktop with sound system. Anyone has this setup?

That would be nice but you'd need a dark room to use it.

I have three setup.  Small but works for me.
1) Living room - 55" Plasma, in-wall surround sound thx 5 speakers, htpc using mini mac.
2) Game room - 55" LED, 3D, bluray - xbox, wii, ps3.
3) Bedroom - 42" Plasma, in-wall surround sound, WDC Live for tv/movies and access to NAS.
They're all connected to a NAS that hold all my movies, music and photos.

I made you read this.

winerice

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 11:59:32 AM »
My living room has plenty of room and would have no problem holding up with 120" screen. I am still debating if i should go with a top of the line pc speakers or a reciever/speaker type.

3 Years Time

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 05:05:11 PM »
My living room has plenty of room and would have no problem holding up with 120" screen. I am still debating if i should go with a top of the line pc speakers or a reciever/speaker type.
PC speakers as in computer speakers? What kind of speakers were you thinking? The best I've seen are the Klipsch 2.1 ProMedias, descent base and a balance of mids/highs.

Depending on your taste, I'd go with a traditional 5.1 or 7.1 system instead. I wanted the bass to dramatize the artillery shells from Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers so I went with a budget Onkyo system.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3500-5-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0077V88V8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362179054&sr=8-2&keywords=Onkyo+5.1+system

six

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 02:43:43 AM »

I had a setup like that. 

It cost me about $40 to build a 12 feet projector screen using blackout cloth, wooden frame, and metal joints. Add another $40 for crown molding to be used as borders to make the screen look like a picture frame...to impress the ladies.

As for projectors, I'd go with the brightest one you can afford....at least 2000+ lumens.  Be sure to paid attention to the cost of replacement lamps.  The more interchangeabl e the lamp is with other projectors...t he cheaper it will be.  Osram branded lamp are the longest lasting.  Don't buy cheap philips brand, unless you can get it at half price of Osram.  Don't waste your money with re-manufactured lamps. Look for a variable iris.  Look for at least 720P.  DLP provides the best pictures.  Nowadays, there are laser hybrids (haven't used or seen them in person).  Check the projector's manual to determine what the throw distance is before you buy it.

As for the sound system, the weakest link are the speakers.  Big sound = big speakers, power....means no PC speaker setup.  For speaker cabels, get the 14guage ones at monoprice.com.  Get a USB DAC for the cleanest sound.

As for a HTPC, get the quietest ones.  If you build one, get a mobo that controls all the fans, including the power supply fan.

Despite what anyone may think...playin g FPS on the big screen sucks.  You won't see everything; you get tunnel vision and get killed.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 02:46:28 AM by six »

winerice

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 11:26:55 AM »
I am thinking about going with this Epson powerlite 3010 projector. It has average lumens @ 2200, 40,000:1 contrast ratio and capable doing 2d and 3d with good resolutions.

As for sound system, i am thinking about going with the Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker. I think it would be more convienience versus a reciever and speakers.

As for the HTPC, i would just build one and pick out a 120" projector screen.

VCL

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 08:14:04 AM »
I LOVE a nice home theater setup. If you're serious about building one, don't go half assed. You'll only regret it in the future. It may seem like it costs alot but if you buy it in parts, it's not too bad. IMO, sound plays a big part to your home theater. If you want to "replicate" the theater experience don't go cheap on sound. I don't think your Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker will do true justice  ;)

I currently have two setups.

Living Room Setup:
Tv: Sony 40in
AVR: Onkyo 100 Watt / 5 Channel
Speakers: Bose Jewel Cubes
Sub: B&W ASW608
Bluray: PS3
Gaming systems: Wii, (PS3)

Total Cost: About $2k

Man Cave Setup
Tv: Sammy 55in 8000 series
Processor: Onkyo 607
Amp: Rotel 1095 200 watt / 5 channel
Front L & R Speakers: B&W 683's
Center Speaker: B&W HTM61
Rear L & R Speakers: B&W 685's
Sub: BIC F12
Bluray: Sammy 3D Player
Gaming System: 360, PS3

Total Cost: About $8k

« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 08:18:44 AM by VCL »

sacleads

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 11:07:06 PM »
I LOVE a nice home theater setup. If you're serious about building one, don't go half assed. You'll only regret it in the future. It may seem like it costs alot but if you buy it in parts, it's not too bad. IMO, sound plays a big part to your home theater. If you want to "replicate" the theater experience don't go cheap on sound. I don't think your Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker will do true justice  ;)

I currently have two setups.

Living Room Setup:
Tv: Sony 40in
AVR: Onkyo 100 Watt / 5 Channel
Speakers: Bose Jewel Cubes
Sub: B&W ASW608
Bluray: PS3
Gaming systems: Wii, (PS3)

Total Cost: About $2k

Man Cave Setup
Tv: Sammy 55in 8000 series
Processor: Onkyo 607
Amp: Rotel 1095 200 watt / 5 channel
Front L & R Speakers: B&W 683's
Center Speaker: B&W HTM61
Rear L & R Speakers: B&W 685's
Sub: BIC F12
Bluray: Sammy 3D Player
Gaming System: 360, PS3

Total Cost: About $8k

LOL.  Home Theater hobbies can get expensive, huh?   :2funny:.  Man, I spent about the same amount of money you did.  Just drives my wife crazy :knuppel2:.  I need to upgrade my projector from 720p to 1080p and convert my garage into a pure movie room.  Just too broke in this economy.  I hate that CA homes, it doesn't have basement.  I see people turn their basement into movie theater room.   :'( :'( :'(.  I just envy those people.

Nice system but you short-changed your subwoofer by a lot.  When I first got started in this hobby, I thought about going cheap on the subwoofer too but once I had a taste of the higher end subwoofers.  DAMN!!!!  There is a huge difference between $300 or less subwoofers and $1,000+ subwoofers.  Even when I was new to the hobby, I can tell that difference was night and day.  There was no turning back after that.  I currently have four 15 inch DIY subwoofers built for my home theater system.  When watching LOTR movies..... :D :D :D

One day I want to own this subwoofer:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?104651-Seaton-Sound-Submersive-.-.-.-the-best-sub-ever-period.

http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/post/SubMersive-F2-The-same-but-different...-5509423

Winerice,

You won't get that kind of home theater experience with those dinky speakers.  Half the battle is the sound quality when it comes to home theater experience.  But it does comes down to taste and budget. 

Just get these >:D >:D >:D:

http://www.klipsch.com/thx-ultra2-home-theater-system

Truth is, my sound system is actually much, much more expensive than my projector.

Look for projector reviews:

http://www.projectorreviews.com/
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projector-reviews.cfm
http://www.projectorpeople.com/resources/projector-reviews.asp

« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 11:42:20 PM by sacleads »

VCL

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 07:07:04 PM »
Nice system but you short-changed your subwoofer by a lot. 

Who said my setup was complete...... It's a never ending quest to upgrade your gear.  ;)

six

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 12:48:48 AM »
hahahah....the se a never ending money pit of a hobby?  Soon you'll have speakers for rock music, speakers for jazz, speakers for live music, measurement mics, etc.  And then when you go to the movies (a rare occasion)...you'll only go to ones with the most natural sounding system.

winerice

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 11:09:44 AM »
oh man, that sound system is off the hook. I can't imagine how i would spend that much on sound system.

Advertisements