Advertisement

Author Topic: High end DSLR question...lack of pop-up flash.  (Read 1397 times)

Benevolent_One

High end DSLR question...lack of pop-up flash.
« on: April 02, 2013, 03:24:52 AM »
For those who are fortunate enough to own these high end dslr, do you miss the lack of pop-up flash?  Is the camera that good that you would not need the flash (granted, you also have the F/2.8 or better glass on it).  I don't understand why flagships don't have them?  Considered amateur?  Too harsh?

I use my pop-up as a filler and adjust the light meter accordingly.  I know that I cannot justify the amount of money for these high end cameras, but just in case lady luck smiles upon me, I'd know what to buy.  Thanks.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Eyedumgai

Re: High end DSLR question...lack of pop-up flash.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 01:25:57 PM »
I don't understan why they don't have a flash either. It's not like they are going to have to sacrifice space for the flash. I understand that if they wanted to, they would be able to improve the flash upon entry-level models to even make them better suited for high-end use, but they don't.

It's probably another way for them to justify you spend another $600 on their high-end speed lights.

zena

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 11:14:25 AM »
I believe because they just don't need it for what they do.  If a pro photographer was shooting wildlife at dawn with a flash (on the camera or their own attached flash), they would scare off the subject if their flash went off.  It's also the same for sports, etc.  If big flashes went off, the subject could be blinded by it.  If they simply use the flash on their camera, it would not give enough light to capture further than what the flash can capture which is usually about 10 feet for an SLR.  For a pro flash, the max brightness the flash would capture is 32.8 feet at it's center and about 16 feet at its peripheral (this info is from a camera spec sheet for Canon but it's not going to be much different for a Nikon or any other brands).

If they are taking an object that's non-human or an animal, the flash would bounce or reflect in it such as a car, bike or building.  It would take away from their art.

Flash is good for certain types of photography like when capturing rim light and places that are dark with no reflection, and other types of art that use it.

kouasupra

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 04:44:34 AM »
- Harsh lighting for sure
- Not enough power
- Can't modify the light

Full frame camera, and pro bodies don't have built-in flash because of their high capable ISO control. Crop bodies sensor tends to have more noise when you bump up the ISO. That's where the built in flash comes in.

Think of it this way. When it comes to getting great result it's always lens over camera body right? For example; all Canon crop bodies can take EF-S lens and EF lens. But when it comes to their full frame cameras and pro bodies, they will only take EF lens (the higher end lenses). Canon doesn't want a cheap kit lens on their 1DX. The photo result would be horrible, but if you put a $2,000 lens on a rebel series the results would be amazing.

Think of the built in flash as a EF-S lens.

Advertisements