Advertisement

Author Topic: Night photography question.  (Read 2027 times)

Benevolent_One

Night photography question.
« on: April 10, 2013, 02:22:20 AM »
This past Xmas, I had a picture in mind but was unable to produce that photograph.  Please help.

I wanted to take a picture of a nicely decorated Xmas tree in the background at night.  In the foreground, I want my subject to be properly exposed as well.  Using long exposure and slow shutter speed, I was able to do one and not the other.  Using my flash helps the subject but not the background.  Do I need to photoshop and overlay two pictures?  Is there a proper setting for this type of picture?  Please help.  Thanks.

*Does it have anything to do with delay curtain setting?  1st curtain and 2nd curtain?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Eyedumgai

Re: Night photography question.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 09:03:10 AM »
If I were to try to deconstruct, I think you can try bulb mode and light your subject at various intervals to see which exposure works best.

Curtains affect motion, not the exposure.

Offline Toua

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 06:49:58 PM »
maybe close the aperture down to like f/16 or lower?.. Or maybe just need a specialized lens

Never risk your life for those who will not do the same...

Benevolent_One

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 11:05:49 AM »
I used my 85mm F/1.8 as well as my 50mm F/1.4.  I've tried varying the aperture.  Slowing down the shutter speed.  I don't like grainy pictures so I keep my iso at 200 (no higher than 400 for me, unless I really need to change).

As for lighting my subject at intervals, most people cannot stand or pose motionless for more than a second or two.  The subject's movement (or even just breathing) will cause blur when the shutter speed is long.  I even set my camera to long exposure too, and yes with a tripod (bogen)...and wireless remote.

Hmm.  I will just tinker with it until I get it right.  I have seven more months before it's Christmas time again.  I may have to consult with a local camera shop since no videos on Youtube was helpful.

kouasupra

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 04:14:10 AM »
Here's my take on it. Night photography can get tricky and expensive. Remember that shutter controls ambient light. To get the right exposure you need to meter the ambient light, and meter the flash. Your shutter will end up slower and your aperture should be higher if your using flash as a fill light.

OR

You'll have to bump up your ISO and lower your aperture to 1.2-1.8 for low lighting. The 50mm 1.4 should do the trick, but you'll need to bump up your ISO setting. It's that simple!

BTW, what Canon camera do you have? Are you shooting in manual mode?

Here's a picture I took last Christmas of my nephew. The only light in that room was the light on the Christmas tree.

EXIF:

Canon 5D Mark III
Canon 85mm 1.2L II

Aperture: F/1.2
Shutter: 1/160th
ISO: 1000

Benevolent_One

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 02:04:43 PM »
Wow, that picture is sharp!  My ignorance would never allow me to bump my ISO so high.  Thanks for the great advice.  I will try doing this in the near future.  Great bokeh, but I wouldn't want my DoF to be so shallow.  I would prefer a little bit more detail of the tree (not too much, mind you).  I do have a Sekonic L-358, but apparently it has not seen much use.  I have collected a lot of gears but still continue to use my camera like a glorified point & shoot.  Don't have too much time and way too many excuses to really improve my learning curve.  I am considering joining a club so that I can get some pointers.  I know it's not my gear.  They are adequate for anything I can think of.  I am the one who needs to learn to use the tools that I have.

Nikon D300 (6 years old now)
*Gave away my 18-200mm VR to my dad for Xmas 6 years ago*
I have a whole bunch of prime lenses: F/1.4 to F/8 (500mm Reflex) and 70-200mm VR I.

I usually don't shoot full manual.  Aperture and/or shutter speed are the main ones that play around with.  Usually by adjusting one of these, I can get the result I want...except my Christmas pictures mentioned above.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 03:48:58 PM by Benevolent_One »

kouasupra

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 12:32:08 AM »
If you want to sell me that light meter I'll take it off your hand. LOL. Your missing out if your not shooting in manual mode.

Advertisements