Advertisement

Author Topic: Is it just me or there are tons of self-proclaimed photographers?  (Read 3340 times)

SleeplessBeauty

I see lots of self-proclaimed photographers on Facebook. Seemed pretty easy to be one as long as one has the right equipments, camera, and editing program.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

kouasupra

Re: Is it just me or there are tons of self-proclaimed photographers?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 05:22:05 PM »
Anybody with a DSLR can be a photographer. Only few gets professionally hired.  :)

zena

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 09:21:39 AM »
Some are pretty talented though.

I agree.  I know a bunch who are very good but don't claim themselves as pros too.

hmoob hit-man

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 07:52:31 PM »
I see lots of self-proclaimed photographers on Facebook. Seemed pretty easy to be one as long as one has the right equipments, camera, and editing program.

DSLR cameras today are like music autotune, where all you have to do is set the mode and click away and everything is post processed in the camera, anyone (esp. a 6 y/o) can do it, doesn't take skill at all, point/focus/click. Once a person learns the basics of the camera and has taken a few decent photos, that's where the title "self-proclaimed photographer" comes in, lol.         

callaesthetics

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 10:14:51 AM »
DSLR's are common household items now, with it readily accessable it allows people in general to become more in touch with their artistic side. Some get more excited than others where they feel they need to create a logo/name to distinguish themselves.

Photography is my hobby and i shoot a lot, my name used to appear as Cam Xiong on facebook. I only changed it to Capture by Cam solely for the purpose of being more approachable to potential clients/models.

Benevolent_One

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 04:08:52 PM »
If you own a car, you are a driver.
If you own a home, you are a homeowner.
If you steal, you are a criminal.

I own a camera.  I suppose I am a photographer.  I do fit the profile.  Fortunately only a handful of people have seen the results of my hobby.  My real job keeps me busy.  I never get paid for my hobby.  When I agree to project, it is only for very close family and friends and without pay.  I don't mind it.

I NEVER claim to be a photographer for hire.  My work is to hone in on my skills.  My purpose is to document my life and family, and not really intended for the public.  I'm just your average Joe.

Offline Toua

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 05:59:32 PM »
i wouldn't call myself a photographer.. more of just a hobby for me. i get pretty deep into my hobbies, but have never been paid nor have asked to be pay for my work and time.  maybe i should try and see who's willing to pay... >:D troubleshootin g computers is fun, but can take time.. bestbuy charges like $50+/hr

Never risk your life for those who will not do the same...

Advertisements