Advertisement

Author Topic: Dear Old Friend  (Read 4145 times)

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
Dear Old Friend
« on: August 30, 2013, 08:15:25 PM »
Dear Old Friend,

Remember the time you walked me across that torn-down wooden bridge to the side of the hill near our thatch? The time we groped in the dark up the dry clay hill? It was so steep we had to hold onto some dead bushes on the way to slowly push ourselves up to her thatch. To Mai's thatch, so we could whisper to her through those nitches of the wall under the tranquil tropical moonlight. Yes, I know: she was real beautiful. I know you liked her just as much as I did. And somehow she liked us both. And you were so great. You villagers were so traditional. At our age only and you already knew how to whisper to a girl through the wall. You were also telling me you would want to have a child with Mai one day soon. When she came to play with her friends under the bamboo silo, you even said you'd take her into the bamboo hills and do your thing. You were so funny. Do you think we could already do that at our age? Maybe if the mind could think it, the body could do it, huh?

But that's a long time ago. We had to leave your village after just 20 days there. What has happened to you and Mai? Did you ever go back up that hill after I left? The elders just told me we were going to the farm. And we did go to the farm. But once out there someone told us to go down the stream and to follow it down to the Mekong River. One afternoon of walking over rocks and shrubs and we made it to the Mekong shores. Turned out, they had already arranged for a canoe to take us over to Thailand. We crossed at dusk, according the main canoe man's instructions. That way, the Commies wouldn't see us.

But I still thought a lot about you and Mai. As soon as we got to the farm that morning and the soldier said to go down to the stream, I knew we were running again. We had been doing that all the way from the north.  And then from KM52 to your village. My life was like that: always running, Old Friend. I never knew where we were heading to. I never questioned the elders. I just went along like the rest of my siblings. I never knew what would happen the next day. That's why I didn't tell you. I didn't even know we were going to leave. It never occurred to me. All I knew was that I was in your village at that time.  I didn't notice my running life that much yet when I was still with you. We were so young then. I was just following the elders. The three years before was full of that from the north and I had forgotten to pay attention to the packing. It was so natural that I just kept packing but didn't think of what it was for. Just packed when told to.

But weren't you also happy? Happy that now you had Mai all to yourself? I'm so jealous of you.

But I met you and we got along so well. We played hop-scotch together. We raced each other. We caught some fish together. We ate together and just enjoyed walking and playing with each other all over the village.  We even liked the same little village girl. If you can think into the future, you should know that I also met another boy in Ban Vinai after my family left your village that morning. He became real close to me and when he left for America, he left his girlfriend to me. I think it was so much like me leaving Mai to you, too.

That morning was so early. When we got to the path that led us to the farm, some local boys were already out checking on their rodent traps.  That's early but also late in a sense. I'm not sure if you were up yet. But you village boys were always up with the roosters, so I think you may have already been up.

When I first saw the soldier at the farm, my heart sank. In my mind, I realized right away that we were going away and that I would never see you and Mai ever again. There was no turning back somehow.

All these years, I haven't seen you or Mai. And I don't know what you two look like anymore, either. I don't remember your full names, either. You may still be alive. But I've lost you both already.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 08:22:25 PM by Reporter »

Like this post: 0
"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Adverstisement

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Dear Old Friend
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 08:40:27 PM »
Dear Old Friend,

America is nothing like Laos. Not that it's worse. It's better in every sense of it.  But let me tell you about our trip here first. We'll talk about America at some other times.

We got on a plane for the first time in my life right in Bangkok. It was around 8:00 p.m. and we walked up some stairs on a bridge that's much like the one you and I walked across to Mai's place that night. But they didn't have wooden bars on the side like our old one. They had fabric walls and as we walked on it, it shook a bit, too. It didn't bounce like our torn-down wooden bridge back in the village.

Then we entered the side of a plane or something and saw a lot of chairs inside. Those chairs had straps on them, so the pilot's people could tie us up in order to prevent us from escaping, I guess.

There was some voice coming on the ceiling. I don't know if we were in an airplane anymore.  Nothing there looked like an airplane anymore. It was more like a room of a house but a long room with lots of chairs.

Soon the floor was shaking and then I saw some lights through a thick oval window. We were definitely lifting away from some stars or something.

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 08:52:03 PM »
I wasn't afraid or even nervous in anyway.

Just two hours later and the shaking came back and slowly we descended to a floor of glittery lights again.

Hong Kong, it was, I later learned.

I slept on a bunk bed with a cuddling pillow.

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 11:46:08 AM »
Japan would be the next day. But before that, they served us breakfasts in Hong Kong. I remember using two chopsticks on a huge bun with some red fillings on this glossy table over a red carpet. We were sitting with some guys in suits and ties. They were smiling at us. Of course, I couldn't pick things up with the chopsticks yet, so I picked into the bun with one of them and tore it apart.

I remember only a few things about Hong Kong, Old Friend. Remember that mountain you took me up and over and we went catching some walking catfish on the stream yonder? There was a mountain just like that over some tall buildings in Hong Kong that morning. I was outside on the sidewalk of a street, still waiting in line to get into the bus that was taking us to breakfast. I stared up the mountain. There were some morning clouds on its peak and it looked quite dark in the distance. But it looked very much like our old mountain back home.

I had two feelings going on at the same time: thinking about you and Mai and also envying Hong Kong's wealth--something you and Mai and I lacked completely. As I was standing in line there, also near a train track, trains went by back and forth; I also saw parents in their four-door sedans taking their kids to school. We never had such luxuries. We walked to school on muddy grounds. I had wished so much that we would have such wealth. But then now I have it in America and I don't envy them anymore, partly because I view such cars as necessities rather than wealth. Too much car insurance and our gas price isn't lowering but just keeps climbing like the peak of our old mountain. Now the world has reasons to envy you and Mai.

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 08:37:07 PM »
Tokyo, Japan--An Asian man looking Hmong but didn't speak a word of anything to us, took us from the baggage claim area. We got inside a room. It shook for a bit and then the doors opened into the side walls. We were in a different room now.

Magic? I was so surprised with this airport. Not just because of those magical doors but also because the TV's showed Macoto--a movie of a cartoon booklet I used to read in Thailand. I later learned that a guy named Jackie Chan starred in it. But the movie followed the comic book I used to read in Ban Vinai.

"...

proudlao

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 11:46:54 AM »
Thanks for sharing reporter. I enjoyed reading it. Take me back to home. And I miss my relatives and friends.

Keep writing.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 08:47:40 AM »
Thanks for reading, Proudlao.

I'll share more.

"...

proudlao

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 08:52:17 AM »
Do you not remember any friends and relatives who can help search for your friends?

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 10:02:17 AM »
Do you not remember any friends and relatives who can help search for your friends?

My father remembers Mai's father's name. But that's all. He doesn't know where the guy has ended up, either.

No other relatives or friends know any other info about them. I'll have to interview my father again about that guy and see how far I get.

"...

proudlao

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 10:07:03 AM »
Good luck, it would be awesome to know where about your old friend. I don't remember any of my friends.  :'(

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
  • Respect: +524
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 10:19:39 AM »
Wow, Reporter.  I love it.  Thank you so much.  Takes me back in time to the dirt-everywhere Hmong villages that had houses made of bamboo, thatched roofs, dirt-floors, where kids played hide-and-seek and played thi and ate bugs.  Keep writing! 

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
More to come, Lilly. Thanks.

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 06:25:13 PM »
We had just finished bathing under the heat on the clean see-through puddles on this side of shore.

The canoe leader took a tiny, long dry brown twig and scratched on the summer sand at dawn.  It was a beach under some shrubs. 

"Once you are on the road, you walk to the right like here," he told my father and the other five adult males in our group as he pointed the tip of the twig to the sand marks.

The road was on the Thai side of the Mekong. They were standing on the Laos side of the river. The rest of us were hiding in the shrubs farther out of the sands. We were under cover, even though there was no need to be.  There had been no other foot-prints around for a whole spring up to the summer time.  No Commie soldier was going to see us. We had even bathed earlier in the day there. No one else around this lonely shore. But it was still a cautious move to hide.

"Walk up to a small town here and then take the first road to your left over here. That leads directly to the camp over here."

The Thai canoe leader had circled and stretched lines on the sands as he pointed out each spot to travel to.

"It's a new refugee camp. They just built it not too long ago and most things are still fresh-looking.

"Carry your farm tools and those chickens in that basket, too," he continued. "If people ask you, just tell them you came from the farm. A lot of people walk from the farm everyday. Just walk like them.

"Once you hit camp, don't take the road to the left here. There's a guarded gate there. The security guards won't let you go in.

"Travel to the right of this branched road and go into the camp from behind."

Ban Vinai it was. Yet we weren't there or in it.

A Thai farmer on the side of that road happened to employ a Hmong couple from that camp.

"I know your relatives," said the man after talking to my elders. "I can go fetch them...let me use my own money. They don't accept yours here."

Two hours later a songtheo arrived with the relatives we had lost the last three years, Old Friend. The elders hugged and cried on one another's shoulders just on the side of the pebbled dirt road. I was just staring at our silver bars on the ground--the ones the Thai officers had just opened up and left there for another errand somewhere.

At that time, the officers asked how we crossed the Mekong. The three canoe guys had left the night before, shortly after canoeing us over.

"Some fishermen came there and we asked them to bring us over," my maternal grandfather said.

Smugglers they would be deemed.

"Can you describe their features?" one asked.

"No, it was late and dark and we couldn't see them clearly," maternal grandpa went on.

He was a former litigator back in our abandoned town near Long Cheng.

"When did you cross the river?" the officer asked.

"When it drizzled," grandpa said after a pause.

"Oh," said another officer. "Then they couldn't possibly see that well. It was already eleven o'clock."

That's why the officers left us there. They said they were coming back after an errand. But they didn't get to because our relatives had arrived and songtheo'ed us to Ban Vinai already.

The elders cried just like Mai, you and I would if we were to see one another again. It felt like they had died and returned to life or something. Like a long time of missing one another, which was it was.  Amidst tears and sobs, the elders were saying, "I didn't think I'd see you ever again. Can this be real? It sounds like a dream, a waking from death." Didn't I just say that?

I didn't cry. I didn't feel their emotions. But now that I'm farther away, I somehow shed tears as I think about it.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 02:50:31 PM by Reporter »

"...

SleeplessBeauty

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 07:53:59 PM »
wow, I read the first few post while listening to "Summer Time Sadness" and it's such a great collaboration. Gave me that unexplanable depressing feelings since I was also a young child running with the elders from the commies. I was still very young to understand what was going on and only have blurred memories here and there as I pieced the stories told by my parents and what I remembered together.

proudlao

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 06:05:09 AM »
Took me back to the moments my mom reunited with my father. Great details reporter! O0

Advertisements