Advertisement

Author Topic: question about phone service  (Read 1343 times)

baddabing

question about phone service
« on: September 18, 2013, 12:06:55 PM »
I have phone service with Comcast but I want to use a cell phone for that service instead of home phone.  What cell phone would allow that?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
  • Respect: +524
    • View Profile
Re: question about phone service
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 12:54:10 PM »
I have phone service with Comcast but I want to use a cell phone for that service instead of home phone.  What cell phone would allow that?

To accomplish what you're trying to do is to request your phone provider/Comcast, if they are willing, to forward your home/land line to your cell phone number/cell phone.  To answer your question "What cell phone would allow that?"... the answer is: any cell phone can receive forwarded calls. 

But I don't understand why you want a home phone/land line if what you really care about is your cell phone.  Just use your cell phone and cancel your land line.

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 12:58:42 PM »
By the way, you cannot activate land lines on cell phones; you can only "forward" them to cell phones.  Land-lines are usually analog lines and they usually require and terminate on analog phones.  If you have a "VOIP" line, you'll need a digital or a compatible phone for your VOIP line.  But VOIP lines like the analog lines, cannot be activated on cell phones.  A cell phone requires a "mobile" number, provided by your cell phone provider.

baddabing

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 03:03:07 PM »
To accomplish what you're trying to do is to request your phone provider/Comcast, if they are willing, to forward your home/land line to your cell phone number/cell phone.  To answer your question "What cell phone would allow that?"... the answer is: any cell phone can receive forwarded calls. 

But I don't understand why you want a home phone/land line if what you really care about is your cell phone.  Just use your cell phone and cancel your land line.

What im trying or thinking of doing is, to use my home phone service on my cell phone so I don't have to buy any minutes for my cell phone.  Is that possible?

Comcast is willing to do that, they are asking me to finding if my cell phone service will allow them to do that.  Im confused too.

Question?  When u say they can only forward it to my cell phone...does that mean calls on my home phone will be made to my cell phone.?   clarify more please.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 03:09:01 PM by baddabing »

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 04:06:22 PM »
What im trying or thinking of doing is, to use my home phone service on my cell phone so I don't have to buy any minutes for my cell phone.  Is that possible?  No, this is not possible.

Comcast is willing to do that, they are asking me to finding if my cell phone service will allow them to do that.  Im confused too.  Your phone line (land line) with Comcast can be ported to your cell phone provider.  When your Comcast land line gets ported to the cell phone provider, it is no longer owned by Comcast.  Once the port is complete, the cell phone provider can activate the number, now owned by them, on your cell phone.

Question?  When u say they can only forward it to my cell phone...does that mean calls on my home phone will be made to my cell phone.?   clarify more please.  Yes, if you request your land line to be forwarded, calls to your land line will no longer ring on your home/analog phone; they will start ringing on your cell phone instead.  But if calls are being forwarded and answered on your cell phone, your cell phone is accruing minutes if you don't have the unlimited minutes with your cell phone provider. 

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 04:09:41 PM by lilly »

baddabing

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 12:35:02 AM »
Got it. :)

Advertisements