Advertisement

Author Topic: The Critique thread  (Read 7954 times)

Finest

The Critique thread
« on: January 21, 2014, 09:07:31 AM »
I think we have a good assortment of artists/photographers in here now, from the very new hobbyist to the professional photographers.  And one aspect I've always preached is that "Practice Makes Perfect".  But it's much more than that, it's about creating your style, finding your own vision, and presenting how you see the world through your eyes.

Another great tool to help you get there is to offer your work up for critique to help gain an outside perspective of your work.  We sometimes get so engrossed in our vision that we sometimes miss some of the basic fundamentals.  (Or maybe some of us just have poorly adjusted monitors)   :2funny:  But whatever the case, critiques are a good way to help refine your work amongst a group of your peers.  But be prepared, some remarks might not be what you want to hear. 

If you have a piece that you want to gain some outside perspective or get some advice on, please post them here and we'll all give it a round of critiques and advice.  You can explain what you were trying to accomplish, what your vision was, and what equipment or settings you used for the work.  I'm sure everyone in here is passionate about art, which is why you're even reading this in the first place.  So let's keep it civil and help each other out.   8)

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Toua

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
Re: The Critique thread
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 04:51:11 PM »
what? are people this chicken? i'll go first. i know some things are missing or needs to be improved in this pic.. Speak your mind.

this picture was actually slightly out of focus..  :-[ Tried my best to revive it.. Trying to save an out of focus photo can be tough.. tips? criticisms? i won't get butt hurt like some people..

« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 04:53:49 PM by Toua »

Never risk your life for those who will not do the same...

maipovci

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 09:11:39 PM »
i'll take a crack at this.

hi toua, for someone who's just started, i think you naturally have an eye for photography. (whatever that means.) compositionall y, the photograph is great. color looks good, the depth of field is also great. my only critique is to be mindful of things sticking out of her head and on her shoulder it slightly looks blown out so if there's a way for you to fix that, do it.

on sharpness, i think the images is fairly sharp already. do you know how to sharpen using the high pass tool?

Like this post: +1

Offline Toua

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 09:11:59 PM »
i'll take a crack at this.

hi toua, for someone who's just started, i think you naturally have an eye for photography. (whatever that means.) compositionall y, the photograph is great. color looks good, the depth of field is also great. my only critique is to be mindful of things sticking out of her head and on her shoulder it slightly looks blown out so if there's a way for you to fix that, do it.

on sharpness, i think the images is fairly sharp already. do you know how to sharpen using the high pass tool?

thanks.. quite honestly, i never noticed part of the plant sticking out of her head.. lol. i have the habit of paying too much attention to the subject and lose focus of what's actually behind. i really hate it when i do that.  Ah, the shoulder. Blown out high lights added to improvement list.  :)

yep, i know how to use the high pass tool.

EDIT:

Did a quick photochop. Got ride of most of the blown out shoulder and left a bit of high light. Adjusting the high light in RAW didn't do much so had to cloned it.  Deleted the plant on top of her head.

this is the original image. Over-exposed!

« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 10:35:06 PM by Toua »

Offline Toua

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 09:16:55 PM »
here is a similiar shot

now looking deeper, the top of the plant by the hair (left shoulder) is distracting. how do you guys feel about the plant in front of her chest?. anything else? Looking at some of my other photos, i could've done a better job by paying attention to the background more.

hmmm.. the highlight on her nose... :-\ and the shoulder. need to watch out next time..

« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 10:04:15 PM by Toua »

ben

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 09:39:43 PM »
Hey Toua,

What kind of camera you use?

it seem so clear in details

Offline Toua

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 10:19:23 PM »
Here is another picture i tried saving. Took this when i first got my camera last year in JPG :2funny:O0  i am better with photoshop than the camera, but slowly improving. Photoshop saved my ass again.  ;D yeah, the cars in the background..ar rgg..

anything to improve besides the harsh shadow from the flash?

« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 10:23:22 PM by Toua »

MrPhejEjHmoob

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 07:20:44 PM »
what? are people this chicken? i'll go first. i know some things are missing or needs to be improved in this pic.. Speak your mind.

this picture was actually slightly out of focus..  :-[ Tried my best to revive it.. Trying to save an out of focus photo can be tough.. tips? criticisms? i won't get butt hurt like some people..

Hi Toua,

Here are a few items to keep in mind when shooting & editing:

1. The vignette is a bit harsh. Would suggest toning it down a bit.
2. Background & foreground distractions. We all love positioning our subjects next to weeds/tall grass since it creates nice bokeh but sometimes it can become a distraction.
3. Composition and rule of 3rds. Next time instead of having her position in the center of the frame, have her stand more to the left or to the right.
4. I notice you smooth her hair out which I like but maybe tone it down a bit so it doesn't look fake.

Overall I like the vibrant color of the photo and the sharpness. Have fun shooting!

MrPhejEjHmoob

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 07:27:23 PM »
Here's one of mine for you guys to critique. Shot with Canon 5D, 70-200 F/2.8 @ 200mm, setting is as follow: 1/200, ISO 400, F/2.8.

angelic_lady

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 04:29:58 AM »
You guys are too good for me to critique..... All I can say is great work. Perhaps I can learn from you guys.

maipovci

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 01:24:40 AM »
Here's one of mine for you guys to critique. Shot with Canon 5D, 70-200 F/2.8 @ 200mm, setting is as follow: 1/200, ISO 400, F/2.8.

great photo.

my only critique is the tilting of the camera. i'm looking at the foreground and i'm bothered that it's not level therefore making me question whether or not it's an artistic decision to make tilt your camera or an accident.

MrPhejEjHmoob

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 08:38:57 AM »
great photo.

my only critique is the tilting of the camera. i'm looking at the foreground and i'm bothered that it's not level therefore making me question whether or not it's an artistic decision to make tilt your camera or an accident.

It was an artistic decision to composite/tilt the camera to go along with the "motion/expression." However I do have another shot that is level and I felt that it didn't give the same "feeling" as this shot since the guy kind of lean into her kiss.

Though after viewing it more, I did notice that the grass in the foreground was a bit annoying so I'll be eliminating that in the final photo.

zena

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 01:57:01 PM »
Here is another picture i tried saving. Took this when i first got my camera last year in JPG :2funny:O0  i am better with photoshop than the camera, but slowly improving. Photoshop saved my ass again.  ;D yeah, the cars in the background..ar rgg..

anything to improve besides the harsh shadow from the flash?

Your first two photos of her were perfect the way they are.  This one would be good if she looked at the camera.  Or take a full body and have her look away so that we can get a feel for a scene or something. 

This one is perfect the way it is. 

Do you guys really want critiques?  There is a pro lady I follow and she mentioned that she would never ask for critique because even if her photos weren't the best, she liked the outcome and that was what mattered to her.  I kind of agree with her (but not 100%).  I do believe that as long as you think your photos are of standard to what you are trying to express, that getting critiqued can actually damage your self-confidence in your art.  She in a way said this, that the critiques would make her less likely to take photos because she is already hard on herself.

But, I don't know.  What do you think?

MrPhejEjHmoob

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 02:04:36 PM »
I think criticism is helpful, whether you agree with it or not, it's good to hear what other's think about your work. As an artist you have to be open minded and not take it as personal attacks. So fire away... O0

zena

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 02:12:13 PM »
I think criticism is helpful, whether you agree with it or not, it's good to hear what other's think about your work. As an artist you have to be open minded and not take it as personal attacks. So fire away... O0

Some people do like it and other don't, I suppose.

I just happen believe the pro lady a bit more  (but like I said, not 100%) because I've been in that situation where the critique damaged rather than inspired.  But, it's one of those things where you have to actually have gone through to understand.

Carry on.  :)

Advertisements