Advertisement

Author Topic: What do you use to edit your RAW photos?  (Read 4112 times)

zena

What do you use to edit your RAW photos?
« on: June 30, 2014, 05:22:37 PM »
Lightroom, Aperture, Adobe Camera Raw, Bridge, etc?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

zena

Re: What do you use to edit your RAW photos?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 08:32:04 AM »
You never take RAW photos?

minorcharacter

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 12:20:09 PM »
Yes, I do. I process my RAW photos in photoshop.
I like how you manage to make everything sound so dirty.  ;)

zena

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 12:24:47 PM »
Yes, I do. I process my RAW photos in photoshop.

Photoshop itself cannot process RAW files.  So you are either using Adobe Camera Raw, Bridge or some other interface. The question was towards that, the interface.  ;)

zena

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 12:41:17 PM »
Lol.. good to know. All I know is, I open up photoshop, open up my RAW photos, and it works.  ;D

Your photos are probably not RAW, or when you download your RAW files onto your computer, you probably have it set somewhere to convert to JPEG before loading into Photoshop.

A RAW file is usually muted in colors so editing is usually required.  The editing software (like Photoshop, Elements, GIMP, Corel, etc.) will guess the best color/best match but usually that's not good enough in a photographer's eyes, and editing directly in the editing software (editing a JPEG) will likely lead to loss of pixels or not enough color choices.

zena

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 01:20:30 PM »

They are definitely raw because I shoot in RAW + FINE mode, which gives me both formats, however I like to adjust the settings with the RAW file before opening it up as a JPG in Photoshop.

I C.  So what interface do you open your RAW files in?

zena

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 09:30:23 PM »
I don't shoot in raw. Personally, I think it's a waste of time and space and too fancy schmancy for me. However, I process my photos in Lightroom. The other day I just downloaded some presets from slrlounge so I'm going to play with that.

O0

Let us know how you like the presets for Lightroom.

MrPhejEjHmoob

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 01:38:03 PM »
I C.  So what interface do you open your RAW files in?

Photoshop comes equipped with the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in so when you open the camera raw file in Photoshop, Photoshop initiates the camera raw plug-in allowing users to edit raw files within Photoshop. As far as interface goes, the camera raw interface is similar to that of Lightroom. Lightroom was actually built base off the camera raw interface and Adobe Bridge. It's a hybrid of both softwares, bridge for file management and camera raw plug-in for editing.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 01:41:35 PM by MrPhejEjHmoob »

zena

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 05:42:55 PM »
Photoshop comes equipped with the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in so when you open the camera raw file in Photoshop, Photoshop initiates the camera raw plug-in allowing users to edit raw files within Photoshop. As far as interface goes, the camera raw interface is similar to that of Lightroom. Lightroom was actually built base off the camera raw interface and Adobe Bridge. It's a hybrid of both softwares, bridge for file management and camera raw plug-in for editing.

Earlier versions of Photoshop (CS5 and earlier) does not come with ACR.  You have to add it...if you don't or don't care to, that just means you are using something else.  Just because someone says they use Photoshop, that doesn't necessarily mean they use ACR for their RAW files.  :)

MrPhejEjHmoob

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 06:12:52 PM »
Earlier versions of Photoshop (CS5 and earlier) does not come with ACR.  You have to add it...if you don't or don't care to, that just means you are using something else.  Just because someone says they use Photoshop, that doesn't necessarily mean they use ACR for their RAW files.  :)

I disagree, I've been using Photoshop since Photoshop CS1 and it always work with my raw files (shot with the Canon 20D and 30D). Yes sometimes it might not work because your Adobe Camera Raw plug-in is outdated and doesn't support the latest cameras but all you need to do is go and download the latest camera raw plug-in. Camera Raw was first introduced and came natively with CS1.  O0 The only difference with earlier versions of Creative Suite was that you had to manually update the camera raw plug-in unlike later in CS4 where the Adobe Software Manager automatically notified you of updates.

Also if you didn't have the ACR plug-in, you can't even open a camera raw file in PS, Photoshop will indicated that it's an unknown file so the only way to be able to open a camera raw file in PS in the first place is by having the plug in.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 06:28:22 PM by MrPhejEjHmoob »

zena

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 06:55:09 PM »
I disagree, I've been using Photoshop since Photoshop CS1 and it always work with my raw files (shot with the Canon 20D and 30D). Yes sometimes it might not work because your Adobe Camera Raw plug-in is outdated and doesn't support the latest cameras but all you need to do is go and download the latest camera raw plug-in. Camera Raw was first introduced and came natively with CS1.  O0 The only difference with earlier versions of Creative Suite was that you had to manually update the camera raw plug-in unlike later in CS4 where the Adobe Software Manager automatically notified you of updates.

Also if you didn't have the ACR plug-in, you can't even open a camera raw file in PS, Photoshop will indicated that it's an unknown file so the only way to be able to open a camera raw file in PS in the first place is by having the plug in.

Thanks for your input, MrPhej.

In my experience, I didn't have ACR when I had CS5 and before.  I did research and learned that it wasn't included and you had to download the plugin.  But, maybe mine was just different.  I currently have CS6, which came with it so no needed plugins, although, I believe I'm due for an update.

MrPhejEjHmoob

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 10:11:29 PM »
It might be time to subscribe to Adobe Cloud, Adobe currently have a Photography plan that comes with access to Lightroom and Photoshop CC for $9.99 + tax. Not a bad deal especially if it allows you to get the latest updates .

zena

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 01:20:57 PM »
Yeah.  I've been debating, although not for Photography.  I need both Illustrator and PS.

MrPhejEjHmoob

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 03:18:18 PM »
Yeah.  I've been debating, although not for Photography.  I need both Illustrator and PS.

If that's the case, you'll have to subscribe to the full Adobe Cloud. It's worth it if you're using it everyday.

zena

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 07:21:27 PM »
...maybe some day.

Advertisements