Advertisement

Author Topic: what is the proper way to address a crowd ?  (Read 5173 times)

K.L.

what is the proper way to address a crowd ?
« on: July 08, 2014, 02:54:43 PM »
during a khi tes ceremony

for example...woul d this be something appropriate?

Nyob zoo niam txiv kwj tij, neejtsa sawv daws, ua ntej kuv xav ua tsaug rau nej tuaj koom peb…...

ahh..please help...nervous breakdown, need practice.

Like this post: +1

Adverstisement

nrhiav hlub

Re: what is the proper way to address a crowd ?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 05:16:27 PM »
during a khi tes ceremony

for example...woul d this be something appropriate?

Nyob zoo niam txiv kwj tij, neejtsa sawv daws, ua ntej kuv xav ua tsaug rau nej tuaj koom peb…...

ahh..please help...nervous breakdown, need practice.
Aws yog koj xav ua tsaug ces kav tsij ua los mas mog.

Like this post: 0

chidorix0x

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 08:34:05 PM »
It can be very simple, or rather elaborate, depending on what you want to say (effectively and emotionally -- kom muaj kuab).

The most important thing to keep in mind is, if you are the host or the person for whom the event (khi tes etc.) is for, then the verbiage is/are different.

Examp:
Host:  Ua tsaug nej tuaj pab koom rooj mov  ...
Person for whom the event is for:  Ua tsaug nej tuaj khi ib txoj hlua  ...

The good news is that you apparently can write/read "Ntawv Hmoob" so if you truly are interested in these things, it is a matter of time before you can/will learn them -- being proactive.

K.L.

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 12:01:33 PM »
i can speak fluent in hmong if given time and practice

just need to envision those words into my head and I could do it...

but I tend to get a nervous breakdown and that's when i start incorporating Hmonglish into my sentence, which I feel is not the best speech

Snowdrop

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 01:30:10 PM »
You can google or youtube a few samples from Hmong or Mekas's events and use them. 

What you mentioned above is great.  You can expand more though.  I would recommend using a note card and practice your speech, so you are not off the topic.  As for the thank you....I would add something like:
"Peb tsev neeg zoo siab heev thiab thov ua tsaug rau nej txhua tus tsis hais cov kwv tij neej tsa, muam phauj yawg laus, los yog tej phooj ywg.  Thov qhuas thiab ua tsaug rau nej txoj kev txhawb thiab txoj kev hlub uas nej tau muab rau peb tsev neeg thiab tuaj koom peb rau lub rooj kev zoo siab no.  Nej  tuaj koom peb lub rooj mov no,nej tsis cia li xwb nej tseem nqa nyiaj nqa txiaj thiab faib zias nej lub sij hawm thiab lub dag lub zog tuaj pab peb ua zaub mov thiab lis dej num.  Peb ua nej tsaug, nej tej txiaj ntsig thiab tej kev hlub, peb tsev neeg yuav nco mus ib txhis."

Like this post: +1

chidorix0x

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 04:57:26 PM »
Snowdrop,

While your "thank you" speech is not completely inaccurate, it is also (arguably) 100% ill-spoken (inappropriate).  That, I will let you figure out for yourself.  Hint:  Some/most of the verbiage you have chosen/spoke is not applicable towards the "hu plig/khi tes" ceremony.

As I have already stated, whatever one says, must -- according to traditional etiquette and norms -- be relative and consistent/applicable to the "event/ceremony" at hand, or whatever is being "thanked".  True, your speech, no one is going to criticize (laugh at), or tell you it is incorrect overall.  But for those who know, namely the elders, they will subconsciously "giggle" internally.

Examp:  Lo lus "peb tsev neeg yuav nco mus ib txhis", is (arguably) inappropriate/inapplicalbe for a "hu plig" and "khi tes" ceremony.  And if you are going to say "muam phauj yawg laus", then you have to include all others as well, such as:  niam hlob txiv hlob, niam ntxawm txiv ntxawm, ntxhais vauv, tub nyab etc. etc. etc..  You are best to leave it at "kwv tij neej tsa cov phooj cov ywg", as that is pretty much all inclusive, versus having to list/name every relationship (relative), where you/one will obviously miss one or two, causing those individuals to "tu siab", for being neglected/left out.  That is usually what happens/will happen, in nearly every/all cases I have personally witnessed/heard about.

Again, no one is going to tell you, "You are wrong.", but it is a matter of appropriatenes s and applicability.  Or simple put, professionalis m versus amateurish.  Big difference.  Hopefully that makes sense.  And most Hmong (elders) will tell you, "Keep it short, simple, and straight to the point."  That will eliminate and alleviate any unwanted mistake(s) -- unintentionall y.

Here is an example of what I normally hear throughout the community, give or take:
Ua tsaug rau nej cov (pog cov yawg) niam cov txiv, kwv tij neej tsa, cov phooj cov ywg, txhua leej txhua tus, tsis hais tus hlob tus yaus, tus laus los tus hluas.  Ua nej lid tsaug, hnub nod nej sawv daws tuaj nrog pab khi ib txoj hluas rau <insert name/person> kom <insert purpose/reason, whatever the "khi tes" is for, such as sickness, graduation, or whatever> peb twb zoo siab tsis txawj tag (tshaj plaws) tsis muaj ib yam yuav paum tau.  Tus tuaj pab nyiaj pab txiaj, pab dag pab zog, tuaj nrog noj nrog haus, tuaj khi ib txoj hlua los yeej yog txiaj yog ntsig tag nrho.  Yog lid, peb cov kwv tij txiv tub txawm muab ib lo lus qhuav los ua nej sawv daws tsaug xwb los nej txhob tu siab nod nawb mog.  Kaj ntug tag kis, xab xeeb lwm hnub, nej muaj noj muaj haus muaj kev txib, nej vam tsis txog peb cov kwv tij txiv tub los tseg.  Nej vam txog los peb; peb yuav tuaj pab nej qhoc lid peb paub ua tau nod nawb.  Yog lid, ua nej sawv daws tsaug nawb.  (Ces "txaum yim" rau sawv daws xwb.  That's it.)

Snowdrop

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 09:01:02 PM »
Snowdrop,

While your "thank you" speech is not completely inaccurate, it is also (arguably) 100% ill-spoken (inappropriate).  That, I will let you figure out for yourself.  Hint:  Some/most of the verbiage you have chosen/spoke is not applicable towards the "hu plig/khi tes" ceremony.
As I have already stated, whatever one says, must -- according to traditional etiquette and norms -- be relative and consistent/applicable to the "event/ceremony" at hand, or whatever is being "thanked".  True, your speech, no one is going to criticize (laugh at), or tell you it is incorrect overall.  But for those who know, namely the elders, they will subconsciously "giggle" internally.

Examp:  Lo lus "peb tsev neeg yuav nco mus ib txhis", is (arguably) inappropriate/inapplicalbe for a "hu plig" and "khi tes" ceremony.  And if you are going to say "muam phauj yawg laus", then you have to include all others as well, such as:  niam hlob txiv hlob, niam ntxawm txiv ntxawm, ntxhais vauv, tub nyab etc. etc. etc..  You are best to leave it at "kwv tij neej tsa cov phooj cov ywg", as that is pretty much all inclusive, versus having to list/name every relationship (relative), where you/one will obviously miss one or two, causing those individuals to "tu siab", for being neglected/left out.  That is usually what happens/will happen, in nearly every/all cases I have personally witnessed/heard about.

Again, no one is going to tell you, "You are wrong.", but it is a matter of appropriatenes s and applicability.  Or simple put, professionalis m versus amateurish.  Big difference.  Hopefully that makes sense.  And most Hmong (elders) will tell you, "Keep it short, simple, and straight to the point."  That will eliminate and alleviate any unwanted mistake(s) -- unintentionall y.

Here is an example of what I normally hear throughout the community, give or take:
Ua tsaug rau nej cov (pog cov yawg) niam cov txiv, kwv tij neej tsa, cov phooj cov ywg, txhua leej txhua tus, tsis hais tus hlob tus yaus, tus laus los tus hluas.  Ua nej lid tsaug, hnub nod nej sawv daws tuaj nrog pab khi ib txoj hluas rau <insert name/person> kom <insert purpose/reason, whatever the "khi tes" is for, such as sickness, graduation, or whatever> peb twb zoo siab tsis txawj tag (tshaj plaws) tsis muaj ib yam yuav paum tau.  Tus tuaj pab nyiaj pab txiaj, pab dag pab zog, tuaj nrog noj nrog haus, tuaj khi ib txoj hlua los yeej yog txiaj yog ntsig tag nrho.  Yog lid, peb cov kwv tij txiv tub txawm muab ib lo lus qhuav los ua nej sawv daws tsaug xwb los nej txhob tu siab nod nawb mog.  Kaj ntug tag kis, xab xeeb lwm hnub, nej muaj noj muaj haus muaj kev txib, nej vam tsis txog peb cov kwv tij txiv tub los tseg.  Nej vam txog los peb; peb yuav tuaj pab nej qhoc lid peb paub ua tau nod nawb.  Yog lid, ua nej sawv daws tsaug nawb.  (Ces "txaum yim" rau sawv daws xwb.  That's it.)
Let the speaker review and analyze our recommendation s.  Whatever she will use for her speech, it is up to her preference, how it will relevant to her like and suitability. 

What you stated in your last paragraph above is the way most Hmong elders conduct their speeches.  It's becoming common, nothing more meaningful than memorization of words. 

What I stated in my post may not be the way most Hmong elders commonly use, but it's something different.  It's something meaningful from the heart.  Not just a cited memorization.   

As for the proper usage of the speech, both my post and yours work fine.  No one will giggle or laugh as long as the speaker is speaking confidently and flawlessly. 

« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 09:16:39 PM by Snowdrop »

nrhiav hlub

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 04:03:09 PM »
Sau ntau dhau lawm kuv los tsis nco los nyeem li lawm

Advertisements