Advertisement

Author Topic: 1st computer build  (Read 1003 times)

Envy2

1st computer build
« on: October 01, 2014, 01:38:10 PM »
What do you guys think of my first computer build? It's not the best money can buy but I think the best for my budget/application which will is 3D rendering with occasional gaming. The unit is already up and running but I might try a triple boot: Win 7, Mac, and Linux or maybe just stick with a dual boot Mac/Win PC. Anyway the goods are:

MSI GD65 MoBo
Intel 4790K (4Ghz) CPU
Radeon R9 290 (4GB) GPU
Corsair Vengence (16GB) DDR3 RAM 2133 mhz
Corsair H80i liquid cool CPU fan
240 GB SSHD
1TD 7500 RPM HD
CS 750W modular PS
ATX Mid Tower Case
3 -120 mm fan
Win 7 - 64bit
BluRay RW/DVD drive
Wireless N adpater
Wireless KB/Mouse
24" LED Screen

Oh and it's sitting next to my RigidBot 3D printer with a 12x16x10 build platform.

I think I should of gotten the Nvidia Quadro GPU so I can render the 3D parts better but then again a purposely build 3D rendering PC will cost me at least 3K on the cheap end since I would probably need go with a socket LGA2011 instead of the LGA1150. Running more RAM would also help on large files. Currently when running a highly detail STL file of a Acura NSX in solidworks there is some noticable lag when moving the object. However I won't be building a car from scratch so I think I should be okay.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

minorcharacter

Re: 1st computer build
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 01:42:32 PM »
That's pretty good for a gaming PC.  I've never built a PC for rendering 3D models so I wouldn't the details for that.  How much is that rig running you?

Envy2

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 01:58:08 PM »
For the PC I got everything after rebate down approx. $1550. Would of been under $1500 but I added the 1TB HD, Wireless N adapter and a speaker which bumped the cost up. As for the 3D printer I got it down to $679. Being creative in when buying stuff really pays. Plus I still need to contact my Credit Card company which I used to buy the parts to build the PC to price match the CPU price on a Ad I found so that will knock off about $40. Using a CC allows me to double the factory warranty on the parts so that's an extra Plus.

If you wondering how I got a 2k PC built for 1.5K it was a combination of sale, instant coupon, rebate, Ebates, Free Ship, No Tax, and exploiting Tiger's Direct $15 off $100 coupon.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 02:21:16 PM by Envy2 »

Sifu

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 11:32:45 AM »
Not a bad rig for that price.  Whatcha' designing?  I've been toying with the idea of a delta printer.  I would probably just continue to use my boring laptop for designing.

Envy2

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 04:54:14 PM »
That's a secret. I figure work salary the rest of my life or retire by 45. The Delta Printer has a smaller build platform, funky looking and a higher price tag. If your just doing it for fun then you might want to look at the printbot from amazon for about $349 or the XYZprinting Da Vinci  for about $500. I wanted the biggest build platform I can find for my design startup business and the 12x16x10 platform of the Rigidbot big kit was the cheapest I found that can print both PLA and ABS plastic. Plus putting it together myself allows me to know what to replace when it breaks. It's not the best looking and not that user friendly but with the large build platform it can print up most things  I can imagine.

Here is a brine shirmp hatchery that I drew up in google sketch up for fun for my saltwate fish tank. Will print this in ABS soon.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 05:03:46 PM by Envy2 »

Advertisements