Advertisement

Author Topic: Chinese Language vs. Hmong Language....  (Read 36641 times)

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Language vs. Hmong Language....
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2016, 09:46:07 PM »

You should pay attention to some other folks in this thread.  You might learn something.  Don't base your entire argument on a short conversation you had with one person 20 years ago.

The language the Tawainese speak is their language. They say it's Tawainese because they live in Taiwan (Taiwanese) and separate themselves from China (Chinese). They totally disagree to use the term Chinese to describe them and their language. Former Minneapolis Star Tribune reporter Wendy Tai, a Taiwan-born Asian, told me that in 1996.

As of last year, Taiwan's population was about 23 to 24 millions.

Cantonese is dominant in Hong Kong. Ask Jackie Chan. There may be about 200 million Cantonese speakers in Hong Kong and parts of southern China. But Cantonese is a Hong Kong ownership in some sense.

Mandarin is the main language in mainland China, spoken mostly by Han Chinese.

Right, Wanderlust. That's what I mean. People keep thinking there's only one language in Taiwan and that it's either Chinese or Mandarin. lol

Good Lord, with information readily available at our fingertips, why are people still giving out incorrect information?

The official language in Taiwan is NOT Taiwanese, it is Mandarin. Mandarin and Taiwanese are two different languages. Generally speaking, when people use the word Taiwanese in Taiwan, they are referring to a different language altogether.

Though there are a few differences in the Mandarin spoken in Taiwan and mainland China (and traditional vs simplified characters), the official language in both countries is Mandarin. I should know. I live in Taiwan.  ::)

Why people are still arguing about the population of Taiwan is beyond me. I already stated it a few pages back, and the person who gave out the original quote of 200 million was clearly too embarassed to respond.  ::)

That's right. Taiwanese separate themselves from mainland and do not consider themselves citizens of China or that they are Chinese by label.  Do we Hmong like being called Laotians? We have asserted our identity away from our mainland.

...  kekeke  ...   :2funny:

Most/ALL DUH-ha'Mung ha'primitive ha'ignorant ha'clueless ha'idioctic HA'MUNG ha'ranting HA'MUNGINGLY ha'nonsense ha'incessantly are pretty much clueless about Mandarin, Cantonese, and Hmong per DUH-uh-ha'edumacated ha'edumacation of their UH-DUH-ha'Mung ha'edumacation ... KEKEKE  ...   >:D

If one knows Chinese history, which was quite clearly taught in Primary School, or if even semi-worldly conscious, they would know the states of Taiwan and Hong Kong, and why their NATIVE language is in fact Cantonese --NOT Mandarin. No, a Chinese history lesson will not be taught ha'furZz duh-UH-ha'Mung. Taiwanese calling their language Taiwanese is a result of this factual history, but the language is technically Cantonese.  The new label is nothing but national pride. Examp, the educated world, NOT ha'edumacated -- like DUH-UH-ha'Mung, knows China's language is Mandarin, but practically everyone calls it Chinese ...  kekeke  ...   :D

No Chinese would know or understand Hmong.  Heck! DUH-UH-ha'Mung don't even know Hmong, especially in its written state  ...  KEKEKE ...   >:D

Day DUD-uh-Ha'Mung only ha'noZe DUD-uh-Ha'Mung ha'lame-guage ha'lickERs ha'dish, "Oar chow dow dow."  ...  KEKEKE  ...   >:D/ :idiot2:

« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 09:48:57 PM by Reporter »

Like this post: 0
"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Adverstisement

dust

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2016, 10:00:32 PM »

Right, Wanderlust. That's what I mean. People keep thinking there's only one language in Taiwan and that it's either Chinese or Mandarin. lol

That's right. Taiwanese separate themselves from mainland and do not consider themselves citizens of China or that they are Chinese by label.  Do we Hmong like being called Laotians? We have asserted our identity away from our mainland.

Not really. You misunderstood that people were disagreeing over the fact that the official language in Taiwan is Mandarin. Taiwanese (Hokkien) being spoken in Taiwan is irrelevant as not everyone speaks it and it's not the official language. What's more, it originated from China as well.

The question was never about other languages being spoken in Taiwan, but the official language that is spoken there. That's like me bringing up the different regional dialects in China. It has nothing to do with the discussion. Mandarin is the official language in China, and it's Mandarin we are talking about.

bulbasaur

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2016, 10:05:02 PM »
OMG.  Reading comprehension is important.  wanderlust is correct, and you're not. 

If you are in Taiwan, and you say you can speak "Taiwanese," they will not think you are referring to "Mandarin."  If you say you speak "Taiwanese" in Taiwan, that is a reference to "Taiwanese Hokkien," which a lot of people speak.  If you say you can speak "Chinese," they will think you are referring to "Mandarin."  You are confused by the terminology.  The person you spoke with 20 years ago probably said she speaks Taiwanese because she probably speaks Taiwanese, especially in 1996 when there was a movement to standardize Taiwanese instead of Mandarin. 

In the end, Mandarin is the official language in Taiwan, and it's spoken as the standard.  You can call it "Chinese" or "standard Chinese" or whatever, but you can't really call it "Taiwanese" because that's another language. 

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2016, 10:41:58 PM »
But we Hmong originated from China, too, but our language isn't Chinese.

It must be Taiwanese Mandarin they speak on the island then.

Not really. You misunderstood that people were disagreeing over the fact that the official language in Taiwan is Mandarin. Taiwanese (Hokkien) being spoken in Taiwan is irrelevant as not everyone speaks it and it's not the official language. What's more, it originated from China as well.

The question was never about other languages being spoken in Taiwan, but the official language that is spoken there. That's like me bringing up the different regional dialects in China. It has nothing to do with the discussion. Mandarin is the official language in China, and it's Mandarin we are talking about.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 12:16:11 AM by Reporter »

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2016, 10:43:42 PM »
Dude, it's Taiwanese Mandarin they speak there if you are talking about the official language that is the langua franca among the various groups there.

1996 or now doesn't matter.  A Hmong then is a Hmong now.

OMG.  Reading comprehension is important.  wanderlust is correct, and you're not. 

If you are in Taiwan, and you say you can speak "Taiwanese," they will not think you are referring to "Mandarin."  If you say you speak "Taiwanese" in Taiwan, that is a reference to "Taiwanese Hokkien," which a lot of people speak.  If you say you can speak "Chinese," they will think you are referring to "Mandarin."  You are confused by the terminology.  The person you spoke with 20 years ago probably said she speaks Taiwanese because she probably speaks Taiwanese, especially in 1996 when there was a movement to standardize Taiwanese instead of Mandarin. 

In the end, Mandarin is the official language in Taiwan, and it's spoken as the standard.  You can call it "Chinese" or "standard Chinese" or whatever, but you can't really call it "Taiwanese" because that's another language.

"...

bulbasaur

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2016, 11:08:12 PM »
*yawns*

You wrote, "The language the Tawainese speak is their language. They say it's Tawainese because they live in Taiwan (Taiwanese) and separate themselves from China (Chinese). They totally disagree to use the term Chinese to describe them and their language. Former Minneapolis Star Tribune reporter Wendy Tai, a Taiwan-born Asian, told me that in 1996."

It's obvious you don't know what you are talking about.  Just answer one simple question...

1. What do the locals in Taiwan call the standard language that is spoken and written everywhere (TV, restaurants, schools, etc)?   Chinese, Taiwanese, or "Taiwanese Mandarin." 

This Wendy Tai chick did not tell you the entire story about the language debate in Taiwan in the 1990's.  Clearly, she was on the side of standardizing Taiwanese instead of Mandarin.  Or, she simply spoke Taiwanese more commonly than Mandarin.  You were simply too uninformed to understand what she was referencing.  You made a huge assumption based off one brief comment.  And as it is now, you are still too uninformed to understand it. 

Like someone else said before, the other spoken languages do not matter because we aren't even talking about those.  I don't even know why this is such a big deal.  You can just Google this information.  Or better yet, just go to Taiwan and see what they call the language. 

Dude, it's Taiwanese Mandarin they speak there if you are talking about the official language that is the langua franca among the various groups there.

1996 or now doesn't matter.  A Hmong then is a Hmong now.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2016, 11:52:53 PM »
The Chinese language has dialects. Two major and distinct ones are Mandarin and Cantonese.  Any other of the same kind with variations in speeches are dialects of it.  How is it wrong to ask if they must be various dialects? lol

Take a hint, everyone is telling you the same thing.   

When people say "Chinese," they really mean "Mandarin."  In Taiwan, when they say "Taiwanese," they really mean "Taiwanese Hokkien."  Taiwanese locals do not refer to Mandarin as Taiwanese.

Stop supposing and just get the information correct.

"...

bulbasaur

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2016, 12:02:20 AM »
Just answer the question..

1. What do the locals in Taiwan call the standard language that is spoken and written everywhere (TV, restaurants, schools, etc)?   Chinese, Taiwanese, or "Taiwanese Mandarin." 

It's kinda sad that you are making these assumptions on a conversation you had with one person 20 years ago.  You seem like an old guy now.  Maybe your memory isn't as sharp as it once was.  Just Google this information.

Between the Wendy Tai, a native of Taiwan, and you, I'd think it's more reasonable to believe her about the Taiwanese really are, don't you think?

I thought you knew the political and nationalism issue involved. I think Chidorix has pointed that out in a few words. So, my reference to Taiwanese was a nationalistic approach to how the Taiwanese look at themselves and their language.

Why point to my argument as a mistake when we all have strayed from the original poster's topic? Do not so sore on this strayed matter.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2016, 12:04:07 AM »
You certainly have the right to your opinions. So, do all of us.

It's kinda sad that you are making these assumptions on a conversation you had with one person 20 years ago.  You seem like an old guy now.  Maybe your memory isn't as sharp as it once was.  Just Google this information.

"...

bulbasaur

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2016, 12:06:10 AM »

This has nothing to do with opinions.  This is about facts. 

You certainly have the right to your opinions. So, do all of us.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2016, 12:09:47 AM »
And I can see that you are failing in arguments that you are resorting to personal attack. 

So, if you want to let the locals claim their label, how is my former friend less accurate than you?

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile

"...

bulbasaur

« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2016, 12:33:49 AM »

And I can see that you are failing in arguments that you are resorting to personal attack. 

So, if you want to let the locals claim their label, how is my former friend less accurate than you?

bulbasaur

« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2016, 12:49:52 AM »
Your friend is probably not inaccurate, especially given the time in which she said it.  Your understanding of it is inaccurate.  I already explained how you misunderstood it.  But just answer the question...

Here is a hint: Someone else in this thread already answered it.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2016, 12:55:22 AM »

"...

Advertisements