Advertisement

Author Topic: My GC/KONI combo....  (Read 1318 times)

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
My GC/KONI combo....
« on: April 13, 2015, 08:30:00 PM »
I shouldve went with something else.

For the same price or maybe a couple hundred more, I could've got tien flex.

I guess the KONI/GC are good and all... but.. the drop was way to low..  and if you raise it up, well you really smush the springs and to be honest, that's not what you want. 

I think I'll wait for the new tien flex A to come out and buy those, they are about the same price as the set up I have right now.

Just my opinion, but a coilover is going to beat shocks and springs any time.

I went with what alot of folks went with...

But I realize, folks go that route becuase they can't afford the better one's, that's why there are so many koni/gc combo's out there.

Like this post: 0
I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Adverstisement

Sifu

Re: My GC/KONI combo....
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 08:44:31 AM »
Saying that Tein's are serious coilovers makes me chuckle...

Envy2

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 01:07:10 PM »
Saying that Tein's are serious coilovers makes me chuckle...

LOL Good one. Koni/GC is the better option but you know them ricers with their soft suspension and super negative camber (stance).

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 09:29:56 PM »
I'm riding on KOni/GC combo with top hats to have some travel..

I think I rather get tien flex and test it out.

To each their own, I'm just speaking from experience like I always do and not from what I've read or what "my friend who runs" or "all the guys at the track runs"....

Unless you guys ran them then I can't take what you guys say seriously.

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Hitokiri

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 10:34:08 PM »
The Koni Yellow with adjustable Ground Controls is basically a poor man's wannabe coilover system. The thing about this set up is that the Koni Yellows are meant to work in a certain level of pounds per square inch when it comes to springs. That's why you can use Eibach, Tein, or H/R Springs with the Yellows and it would be okay. The Ground Controls though suppress the springs depending on what height the owner had adjusted them at. There are two things when it comes to comfort from suspensions = traveling of the strut or shock itself and the "coil" of the spring. If your spring rate is very high because the suppression of the height adjustments that were made then the ride quality and maybe even the longevity of the suspension pieces themselves might be in trouble or shortened.

So basically when tuners put the Yellows with the Ground Controls you're forcing the Yellows to do a job it was not made to do.

My brother had Koni Yellows with Eibach red springs and that has been the best combination I've ever ridden in. It lowers the car, gives it a good stance, it's stiffer, but the car isn't too stiff that it kills the ride quality.

Coilovers and things like that are not needed even if you're a track guy. Coilovers are just a waste of money in my opinion and when they fail you're down a grand or so. Koni Yellows with springs can last you the rest of your car's life.

Sifu

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 10:45:25 PM »
thePoster, saying that GC isnt right up your alley is just strange because the way I see it GC can be viewed as the owner's ultimate DIY coilover.  I mean you can pretty much pair everything that you want.  You could do the same for ABC coiliver kit but you still have to buy their system, use their combos, have them rebuild it, etc. 

Advertisements