Advertisement

Author Topic: This could be bad for those of us, DIY guys and aftermarket part vendors...  (Read 1536 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1323
    • View Profile
GM, Ford, And Others Want to Make Working on Your Own Car Illegal

One of the inherent rights of owning a vehicle is the ability to get on one’s backside — a wrench in one hand and a grease rag in the other, and just tinker to your little heart’s desire. Since the vehicle was invented, it’s been an important facet within the community of gearheads.

General Motors — the same company responsible for 87 deaths related to faulty ignition switches, FYI — wants to take that right away from you citing safety and security issues. Along with a few other big names.

It’s called the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). It’s been around since 2000 and started as anti-Internet piracy legislation. But automakers want to use it to try and make working on your own car illegal. Yes, illegal. The general premise is that unlike cars of the past, today’s vehicles are so advanced and use such a large amount of software and coding in their general makeup, altering said code could be dangerous and possibly even malicious.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Wow that's some crazy stuff.

If that's the case... they better be selling cars for like 5 thousand dollar's or cheaper brand new.

How is it even "owning" a car anymore??!?!!?

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
With that being said..

if it does pass, they better be fixing every issue with it for free.

So basically, they better be giving you free lifetime service for the length of the ownership of your car.

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

FetishDream

It is all about the money.

If they make it illegal then it forces the consumer to spend more.  It also gives them auto maker the exclusive rights to waive out of any law suit that involves in non stock vehicles. 

It is not going to pass because our society is so used to a culture that we are not going to step down without a fight on this matter.  We can give up our rights but we will not stop souping up our cars.  If it is illegal then we are going to have do it the old school days.  In my garage where it is legal because of the private property privacy act but then again, the pigs will be the first to look at your specs to see if they are aftermarkets so that they can cite you with a fine. 

No fear, just like prohibiting firearm, she is not going to pass. 

Hitokiri

It's more about people monkeying with the ECU more then anything. I can see where the car makers are coming from but I can't see how they'll win this. When OBD came out the car makers basically tried to do the same thing but the courts didn't favor them instead they favored the car owners and individual shops instead. The turnout well be the same.

Sifu

There was some clarification to thwart hacking or modifying certain aspects of a car but again this is just another reason why I just don't like newer cars.
1) Most bore me
2) Nannies, nannies everywhere
3) electrical nightmare
4) the proprietary of every damned thing in an automobile

It starts somewhere but eventually fixing or working on cars will become a specialized job.

FetishDream

Think about all them auto parts shops in America.  They will go out of business and jobs will be loss.  You think this law can still pass?

I think not.  Maybe compromise and meet in the middle since the auto industry has a tons of money to sway politicians. 

yuknowthat

If the law makers and judges gets their cut, everything can be legal and illegal.

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
If that happens, it's time to jump on a hybrd bicycle. Car makers can kiss my arse. :2funny:

Advertisements