Advertisement

Author Topic: Is your C drive, hard drive, etc... full and you don't know why?  (Read 1395 times)

minorcharacter

A little while ago someone messaged me asking for some tips and yesterday I had to clean out my hard drive and reduce it because I had very little memory left.  Here's what I did:

First download Treesize Free from this site:

http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

It's free, and not bloated.  Then use it to scan your C drive.  It'll get into detail and break down which folders are using the most storage memory.

From there I was able to tell that a hidden folder called "System Volume Information" was eating up about 50gigabytes.  This folder is where your restore points and backups are stored.  Like me, I doubt many of you guys need that much headroom for backup, and if you did then I'm sure you already have solutions to mitigate this problem.  Anyways I reduced it to 13gigabytes through:

Start/windows button -> control panel -> system -> system properties -> system protection -> configure -> lower your max usage

Next, click your start/windows button and on the search bar type in Disk Cleanup.  You'll be able to use that to remove temporary files, offline pages, old update files, other unneeded files, etc.

There you go.   O0

Like this post: +1

Adverstisement

supadupac

Re: Is your C drive, hard drive, etc... full and you don't know why?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 12:59:30 PM »
Awesome! Anyone looking for a Mac solution you can do this one..

http://www.derlien.com/

Like this post: 0

tsabsuav

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 01:39:06 PM »
Thanks. Definitely need to do this on several of my systems.

Offline Mong-X

• Your One And Only
  • Administrator
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 05:37:37 PM »
And then there is PH where we put lots of Hmong cookies so that our family spirits can surf the web without lag.  O0

Advertisements