Advertisement

Author Topic: OS Project 1: FreeBSD  (Read 1710 times)

bulbasaur

OS Project 1: FreeBSD
« on: June 17, 2015, 10:07:49 AM »
A few years ago, I was installing/emulating all sorts of operating systems just for kicks.  I primarily use Windows on my main machines because of compatibility.  However, I always enjoyed these other OS's.  For some retro fun, I am going to try to reboot some of these alternative OS's.  Let's see how they updated in the past few years. 

Let's start with FreeBSD.  It was kinda hard making everything work back then.  Hopefully they have improved compatibility since then.  Hopefully it doesn't take me too long to figure this out.  If you want to try, here is a link....
https://www.freebsd.org/

If you do give it a try, post how it worked out for you. 

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Homer_Simpson

Re: OS Project 1: FreeBSD
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 11:01:31 PM »
I've played with most of the Unix and Linux variants and they all are pretty much the same! They either run KDE or GNOME desktop, have the same feeling across them, have limited application support, etc. We use them for specific purposes to run mission critical applications only. For desktop and home use, Windows is the better choice with more application support.

If I was to run a different OS other than Windows, it would be Mac OS X.

morsell

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 04:56:11 PM »
If you enjoying playing with several different operation systems, try VirtualBox.  This is my favorite software to use when installing new operating systems to play with or learn with.  Best thing about it is you can just delete it when you no longer need it.

tsabsuav

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 05:48:56 PM »
VMware workstation is another alternative.

morsell

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 06:04:49 PM »
VMWare is a better alternative with more options, and I believe is probably the industry standard.  I'm not sure about licensing though.  IIRC, there's only a limited trial version, but it may have changed.  VirtualBox is free to use.

bulbasaur

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 07:22:56 AM »
I use both VMWare and VirtualBox.  I like them both. 

I've been too busy to really focus on my FreeBSD project.  Maybe I will mess with it this weekend. 

Advertisements